Decisions of a 23 year old/2019 Hunts

cnelk

WKR
Just a little update to this thread.

Since this thread started, Collin has gotten a good job and moved west.

It’s funny because he live only lives 7 minutes away from me and has been over visiting a couple times.

I’ve gotten him pointed in the right direction for archery elk hunting this fall and he’s been covered up with elk already with spots to hunt. Even hung cameras.

He’s a real stand up young man and if anyone is thinking about doing what he did, they should just do it.

Just a little update to this thread.

Since this thread started, Collin has gotten a good job and moved west.

It’s funny because he live only lives 7 minutes away from me and has been over visiting a couple times.

I’ve gotten him pointed in the right direction for archery elk hunting this fall and he’s been covered up with elk already with spots to hunt. Even hung cameras.

He’s a real stand up young man and if anyone is thinking about doing what he did, they should just do it.
Awesome to hear. I try and convince the wife every daily. My work is in Denver already, so it would be an easy jump

OP
C

Cml5895

FNG
I’m alive and loving it. Cnelk has been more than generous to me and seems to have a quality system down for killing elk, more than most.

I am excited for this September. I am a couple months shy of becoming a resident, so I have to bite the bullet and drop $671 on a NR tag. But that will be soon forgotten on that first morning.

I seem to have gotten a pretty good routine down. Wake up, run, work, come home , shoot, sleep. Keeps me out of trouble.

I appreciate those that have reached out to me and as always thanks for the support and advice. I’m just a few months in to living in Colorado, but I can’t think of a single thing I miss (besides family). This transition has been pretty easy for me and my pup. To anyone contemplating making a jump in your life, just do it.

I plan on taking two days off in September, due to limited PTO with the new job. This should give me a total of 13 days to hunt (for budgeting reasons I put that as $51/day with the cost of the tag). Almost can’t afford not to hunt. Game plan this year is learn all I can in the time I have. Hunt slow and cover ground. In my head, there’s no reason I shouldn’t kill an elk this year. I plan to keep you guys updated on here with my hunts in some sort of weekly log. Stay tuned.

Collin

dac053b4ce8c5c3ac2266ea6a0df30d6.jpg
76404415e6a2939c303b90443c409aca.jpg
5ce1beab60f3d312e288cef3a5738214.jpg
558edd22bb6cc3974e1d902059681bca.jpg
9e54d8ff85191435006b63ece4d6dba3.jpg
9ff76b47d356ea90913d443d2d1d34bd.jpg

Coondog

Lil-Rokslider
Go and do what makes you happy, follow your dreams and live life with no regrets lifes to short..Go west young man

OFFHNTN

WKR
This awesome and thanks for the update! cml5895!
What kind of job did you find? Something in construction or did you decide to go guide?
Glad to hear things are working out and best of luck on the elk this year!

OP
C

Cml5895

FNG
This awesome and thanks for the update! cml5895!
What kind of job did you find? Something in construction or did you decide to go guide?
Glad to hear things are working out and best of luck on the elk this year!

I landed a project engineer job out on the DIA expansion project, working with steel and concrete. Decided to push off that guiding business, and hunt for myself. One more week and I’ll be on my way out to the mountains, can’t wait for that.

If you already know you would regret not moving....sounds like you've made a decision already. Why live life with regrets when opportunity is right in front of you. As others have mentioned, lots of work in construction out west, things tend to work out for those willing to chase goals and dedicate themselves.

OP
C

Cml5895

FNG
Two more workdays until I am heading out. Seems like I have my gear packed and unpacked and repacked 3 times. I will give you guys an update when I get back Tuesday morning. Weather looks nice and cool for the morning and evenings which is good for a fat guy like me.

Good luck to anybody starting their season in September!

OP
C

Cml5895

FNG
Had a great long weekend in the mountains. Two shot opportunities, one one a non-legal bull and the other on a good looking bull but too much timber between us at 40 yards. I put on a pile of miles and never ran into sign of any other hunters. 4 long days of work and I’ll be back out Friday night!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the move. I moved to Colorado from Vermont 8 years ago and its the best decision i ever made. Im a Superintendent for a large commercial GC here is Denver. Lots of long hours but it pays the bills and allows me sufficient time off to hunt every year. Good luck this season.