Decisions of a 23 year old/2019 Hunts

cnelk

WKR
As I mentioned early in this thread, I sent Collin some contacts of construction contractors that Ive had good experiences with over the years.

He did the rest. I did not make any recommendations or even phone calls..
One of them hired him.

Just goes to show, if you want something, get off your ass and do it.

Congrats on starting a new chapter in the rest of your life. You made the smart move. You will be where you want to be and advancing your career at the same time. Hard to beat that. I hope everything works out for you and your dreams.

Congrats and good luck! I will be flying into the Denver airport just in time for second rifle elk this year!

lif

WKR
Pretty cool boys!! One of the better threads rokslide has ever had. Congrats on the job bud.

Jbehredt

WKR
Thanks guys! It's hard to be not nervous about it but I think when I get out there and in the swing of things, I'll never look back.

You’ll meet more former New Yorkers than native Coloradans at any social gathering. Will make for an easy transition ;)

That’s a tough one. With a ton of debt from school that is on your mind if you can’t pay that can make your move more stressful if you go. That can decrease how happy your are moving vs being comfortable and taking trips out west.

Well done; buy the way I chased a 350 + bull over the divide last fall, first season. Last I saw he was headed for Colorado Springs. I’ll send you the numbers if you need. Killed the smaller one.

Attachments

• 9C006D5B-8967-47DD-B320-4D6026398CB7.jpeg
    9C006D5B-8967-47DD-B320-4D6026398CB7.jpeg
    469.2 KB · Views: 64

lif

WKR
That’s a tough one. With a ton of debt from school that is on your mind if you can’t pay that can make your move more stressful if you go. That can decrease how happy your are moving vs being comfortable and taking trips out west.
He sounds like a strong minded young man. Strong minded people figure out how to get things done. Not, how to sit in the corner and worry for 80 years waiting to die. He will make it happen!!

OP
C

Cml5895

FNG
Well done; buy the way I chased a 350 + bull over the divide last fall, first season. Last I saw he was headed for Colorado Springs. I’ll send you the numbers if you need. Killed the smaller one.

Congrats on the smaller one. Geeeeeeze.

He sounds like a strong minded young man. Strong minded people figure out how to get things done. Not, how to sit in the corner and worry for 80 years waiting to die. He will make it happen!!

I would agree with you. I never said that he should not go. I just gave him a point of thought to help him make the best decision.

woodson

FNG
Congratulations on having the stones to get what you want. A lot of people sit on the sideline and dream about pursuing their goal while they work 40+ years, and then lament about all they wish they had done. Good luck with the new job. Knock out the student loans and you will be set!

6mile99

FNG
Hello all! I need you guys to help me decide my future. As a little background, 23 years old currently living in Western New York. I have a full time job as a construction project manager which is very comfortable for me. I travel out west several times annually to hunt and I know that NY is not where I want to live my entire life and I have always felt a strong need to move away from home. Earlier this week I received a message from an outfitter who I have hunted with several times in Colorado. He asked if I would be interested in coming out this August and learning to guide for elk with his outfit. Currently have no wife, no kids, and I am not getting any younger. I know I want to work hard and do something I really love doing, which I think for three months of the year this opportunity would be it. The only thing holding me back is the rest of the 9 months of the year. I have a significant amount of debt from school that I am handling just fine with my current situation, but that would change with a big move.

If you were in this situation, what would you do? I know that I will end up regretting not making a move early on in my life. Any advice is appreciated!
I moved to Southwest Montana 25 years ago from Pennsylvania. I would recommend keeping your sights on a construction job and guide an occasional hunt once you've got your feet under you. I enjoyed guiding but wouldn't want to count on it as my primary income. As a plumber I like the option to guide someone if I chose to or focus on my own tags in the fall. Best of luck.