Decison: New 300 WM LOL

Decison: New 300 LOL

attachment.php

rifle_list.jpg
I don't have a lot of money, but I only want to cry once. I am looking for a "do everything" mountain rifle.
I want it to be as capable of long range as possible. Also want as light as possible.
The Cooper and CA Ridgeline have most of my interest, but $2000+ is really hard to stomach.
For optics, i am leaning VX-5HD for this rifle. Must be made in USA. I am curious what everyone thinks and which rifle would you choose if you couldn't go custom. Any other similar US rifles that I might be missing?

Last edited:

ianpadron

WKR
You're going to get a lot of guys pushing Tikkas and for good reason.

I'd line a Tikka up with every single one of those rifles you listed, even the Cooper, and bet you the Tikka would shoot as well if not better...and for less than 600 bucks...

Just sayin'

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Cabelas currently has the CA Ridgeline on sale for $1799 but not in a magnum caliber.

dah605

Lil-Rokslider
I'd line a Tikka up with every single one of those rifles you listed, even the Cooper, and bet you the Tikka would shoot as well if not better...and for less than 600 bucks...

Except for the fact that Tikka's have short magazines which means that you may not be able to load rounds to an optimal length unless you want to single feed.

My votes in that list are the CA Ridgeline or the Cooper M92. If you want to run a suppressor, the CA edges out the Cooper due to the heavier barrel, which generally means less impact shift between suppressed and non-suppressed.

-David

OP
M
My votes in that list are the CA Ridgeline or the Cooper M92. If you want to run a suppressor, the CA edges out the Cooper due to the heavier barrel, which generally means less impact shift between suppressed and non-suppressed.

-David

That is the way I'm leaning, Ridgeline or Cooper. I had never considered a suppressor.
I really want to like the Mesa or the Kimber MA. For me the Mesa adds a little weight and the 24" barrel for the magnum is something I don't know if it would be good for me. The Mountain Ascent is sure a good looking rifle, their rep and my concern about thin barrel and long shots had me rate them lower than the Ridgeline and Cooper.

I'm in Southern California, there are none of these rifles within hundreds of miles of me to check out.

Thank you for the replies so far.

Rate #/oz oz ManufacturerModel Accuracy Length ThreadBarrel MaterialMSRP
47.3 116.8ChristensenMesaSub MOA 24Y/BrakeStainless$1295
56.8 108.0ChristensenRidgeline Sub 26Y/BrakeCarbon Wrap$1995
27/10 122.0Montana Rifle X2 26 Stainless$1412
36/12 108.0Kimber Montana MOA 26Y Stainless$1427
46/7 103.0Kimber Mountain Asc MOA 26Y/BrakeStainless$2040
46.8 108.0Fierce Edge 26 Stainless$2695
55.75 92.0Cooper Model 92 .5 MOA 26Y/BrakeStainless$2795
47.0 112.0LAW Professional MOA 26Y/BrakeStainless $1800
37/4 116.0Winchester Xtreme WX 26 Stainless$1379
27.75 124.0Savage Bear Hunter 24Y/BrakeStainless$1098
28.2 131.2Ruger Hawkeye 26 Stainless$1269

I don't have a lot of money, but I only want to cry once. I am looking for a "do everything" mountain rifle.
I want it to be as capable of long range as possible. Also want as light as possible.
The Cooper and CA Ridgeline have most of my interest, but $2000+ is really hard to stomach.
I am leaning VX-5HD for this rifle. Must be made in USA. I am curious what everyone thinks and which rifle would you choose if you couldn't go custom. Any other similar US rifles that I might be missing?
I'd pick the Fierce. I have one Ti Edge and I have had one ridgeline. I thought the Fierce had a better fit and finish and shot twice as tight factory groups.

You may want to give Nosler rifles a look as well, especially there new longe range hunter.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the Savage Bear hunter and love it. I paid a lot less than that for it too. I bought it on GB for about $740 a year ago. It is very accurate with factory ammo and with that muzzle brake on it you can shoot it all day long without worrying about recoil. I am very happy with this rifle and feel to improve on it you would need to go full custom.

ianpadron

WKR
Except for the fact that Tikka's have short magazines which means that you may not be able to load rounds to an optimal length unless you want to single feed.

-David
The bottom metal upgrade from Mountain Tactical fixes that issue.

Ridgeline and Cooper 92 are both ridiculously nice rifles, agreed on that!

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The bottom metal upgrade from Mountain Tactical fixes that issue.

Ridgeline and Cooper 92 are both ridiculously nice rifles, agreed on that!

Only fixes it in short action...still can't load much longer than 3.4" in a long action even if the mag has more room. Which is why I went WSM for my Tikka.

excaliber

WKR
Tikka's are OK for a factory rifle but like all factory offerings once things really stretch out they are lacking accuracy wise compared to a semi custom or custom rifle. The few I've seen were not as accurate as my cheap factory Remingtons when we stretched out past 500 yards. I guess it all depends on what kind of groups you'll be happy with.
I'm not going to buy a Tikka with a 22.4 or 24.3" thin contour barrel and be forced to shoot shorter COAL rounds due to mag length but that's me.
Others mileage may vary.

I'll take a Trued Rem 700 with a Bartlein barrel over any Tikka any day of the week.

I'd search the classifieds for a nice low round used semi custom which can be had for under 2K There have been quite a few 300 WM rifles for sale on Snipers Hide, Long range Hunting etc. Look around I'm sure you'll find just what you're looking for.

I'm ducking for cover from the Tikka fanboys who will soon be on the warpath.;)

You're going to get a lot of guys pushing Tikkas and for good reason.

Just sayin'

I have both a CA Ridgeline and a Fierce Fury (I know, not the Edge but similar). They are both very nice and accurate. I actually thought the fit/finish on the CA was a bit better though. The fierce action is well made, for sure, with less 'bolt slop' than the CA. Both have shot less than 3/4 minute out of the box, even during break in. The CA weighs about 5oz less (on my scale) in the same caliber, brake installed, with a 2" longer barrel and balances very well. Both rifles have enough room in the mag to let me load my bullets to the rifling if I want, i like this a lot. The fierce holds an extra round in it's magazine, for what that's worth, not a big deal to me. I like the triggertech trigger in the CA better than the fierce's trigger. Both MSRP for about 2k.

Also, I believe the Fierce guns are made in Canada, not the USA. At least that's what is says on the box.

Happy shopping! :)

mtmuley

WKR
Cooper. There's a member over at OYOA about to wring one out in .300 Winchester. At least it's in a serious cartridge. None of the 6.5 flavor of the month offerings. Made in Stevensville, Montana. mtmuley

117d-rto

FNG
Tikka's are OK for a factory rifle but like all factory offerings once things really stretch out they are lacking accuracy wise compared to a semi custom or custom rifle. The few I've seen were not as accurate as my cheap factory Remingtons when we stretched out past 500 yards. I guess it all depends on what kind of groups you'll be happy with.
I'm not going to buy a Tikka with a 22.4 or 24.3" thin contour barrel and be forced to shoot shorter COAL rounds due to mag length but that's me.
Others mileage may vary.

I'll take a Trued Rem 700 with a Bartlein barrel over any Tikka any day of the week.

I'd search the classifieds for a nice low round used semi custom which can be had for under 2K There have been quite a few 300 WM rifles for sale on Snipers Hide, Long range Hunting etc. Look around I'm sure you'll find just what you're looking for.

I'm ducking for cover from the Tikka fanboys who will soon be on the warpath.;)
Shots fired!

All kidding aside I'm curious what you mean by open up at 500 yards? Range shouldn't have anything to do with accuracy potential of the rifle, the thin barrel getting warm and throwing rounds would be obvious at 100yds. Maybe you mean because you may have to dial a few more increments on the scope because MV is lower due to shorter OAL available in long action versions of Tikkas?

I don't think anyone would argue that every once in a while you will get a great shooting Rem700 from the factory with no Smith work required, but the truth is you will get a great shooting Tikka a hell of a lot more often out of the box.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Here's a vote for Cooper.

My Cooper 52 Excalibur .300 Win Mag groups the tightest of all my rifles.

68 grains of IMR4831 with 168gr

HawkeyeHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just went through this process myself...took a while to make a decision but finally chose the Cooper 92 over the CA ridgeline. Both are sweet rigs and felt great. Ultimately it came down to weight, caliber choice, and recommendations of confidence with no issues. Again both were great, felt great but liked the weight or lack their of and caliber choices in the Cooper. Should be getting mine soon. Didn't look at fierce but have heard great things there too. Good luck

OP
M
Living in California sucks. My local FFl wants a 10% fee if I have a new rifle shipped to him + 9% sales tax and a $25 DROS fee. He can get Kimber through his distributor, but at full MSRP.

Cooper has no dealer near me and everyone is out of Christensens, they say 8-12 weeks to get in a new rifle.

Thank you for everyone's input, the search continues.

OP
M
I would pay a little extra for American steel if that answers your question.
I know the scope I buy will have foreign glass.
I will do what I can, do you know where the different rifle manufacturers source their steel?