Decoying whitetails with Heads up decoys/bow mountable decoys

picketuc

FNG
Curious if any of you have tried decoying whitetail or mulies with Heads Up decoys or similar decoys? What kind of scenarios did you employ them in and what were the reactions? When is a good time/place (more specific than "in the rut!") to use them?

wesfromky

WKR
You might check out episode 337 for wired to hunt with Tony Trietch - he talks about using them a bit, along with other whitetaills from the ground strategy.

Not exactly what you asked but I have a few Montana doe decoys and used my 3D target a bit too. More like a turkey set up where I place the decoys and set up downwind. I combined it with some estrus scent. Never got more than a polite sniffing by a couple of young bucks. The decoys actually seem to deter does. A couple of doe groups kept their distance and circled around a trail junction to avoid the decoys. Sample of one but I wouldn’t say I was overwhelmed.

OP
picketuc

picketuc

FNG
You might check out episode 337 for wired to hunt with Tony Trietch - he talks about using them a bit, along with other whitetaills from the ground strategy.
I've listened to that one already, very interesting stuff!