Dedicated deer shotgun

jt4

WKR
Looking for ideas on a good shotgun to use just for deer hunting. I'd like to put a red dot or low power scope on top. Smooth bore or rifled barrel?

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I got a 20ga Savage 220 slug gun. They're tac drivers with Remington Accutips, at least mine is.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SpookySpectre308

Lil-Rokslider
Used to have incredible luck with a rifles barrel and partition gold slugs. Savage slug warriors in 20 and 12 both. Also a beretta es100 pintail. Took many deer out to 150 with that beretta. It was a relative tack driver.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quackshack

Lil-Rokslider
I will second the Savage 220 in 20ga, great deer gun.
Are you using the Accutips as well? My dad went to buy more for his 220 20 ga and the local store was out. They cant get them anymore? Have you found any other brands to shoot well?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reload

Lil-Rokslider
Savage 220 with Accutips. Typically Remington does a seasonal run on slug production. They can be difficult to find last minute. You won't be sorry for purchasing the combo. I typically stock up in the Spring just to have them on hand. Good luck to you!

mvmnts

WKR
Another vote for the Savage 220. I tried a few different slugs but the accutips were best. It's not the only accurate shotgun on the market but it is the only affordable one. Shouldn't be hard to buy the accutips online. Definitely stock up though.

n816kc

Lil-Rokslider
Federal Trophy Copper shoot great in my 220, 2" groups at 100 yds with a front rest only - they can do better with a good front and rear bag I'm sure. Hornady SST not quite as well. Haven't found any Accutips to try yet.
Mounted a 4x33 Leupold in dual dovetail mounts. Seems to be a good set up within 200 yards.

Quackshack

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Savage 220. I tried a few different slugs but the accutips were best. It's not the only accurate shotgun on the market but it is the only affordable one. Shouldn't be hard to buy the accutips online. Definitely stock up though.
Local store says Remington is out of business. Havent made ammo in a year. I cant find any.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
i helped a neighbor sight in his savage and it did well with partition on golds.
had another guy here that had a browning bolt and it did well too.

i had one of the old H & R ultra slugers that was a hammer. the one with a 10 gauge barrel and a 12 ga bore. kicked but it killed. if you find a used one in 20 jump on it.

one that i have never been around but i would like to have is the Ithaca pump. it is threaded into the receiver like the savage.

i have a 20 ga TC now -it does ok but i would like better. i also have a 20 ga 1100 that i like a lot in thick stuff. there is a time and place for each.

Last edited:

mvmnts

WKR
shit! I'm going to have to find something new then I guess. I ALMOST took my scope off the shotgun to sight in my ML this year. That would have been a costly mistake. I don't gun hunt much anymore, but I probably have enough accutips to last me half a dozen seasons if I'm real stingy.

Steelruger22

Lil-Rokslider
My go to deer slug gun is a Remington 870 12ga with a Hastings fully rifled barrel and a cantilever scope rail. Leopold 2-7x sits on top. She holds a 2.5" 3 shot group at 100 yards. She like Remington Accutips and Hornady SSTs . She has accounted for lots and lots of meat into the freezer.

WCB

WKR
Give it a little time. Remington's Ammunition plant is getting back on its feet. Slugs are a seasonal run anyways but now that Remington Ammuntion is getting back up and running I am sure you will find what you need for next year.

OP...How far are you expecting to shoot? If you are running a low power scope or red dot I would assume under 100 yards?

Savage 220
Has anybody else seen price on Accutips on Gunbroker? Its crazy what people are paying for them right now. Between 5 -10 per round! Crazy.
Federal copper and Federal with Barnes tip shoot good out of my kids 220. Same with Barnes 3" Vortex
I use a Benelli SBE 2, but keep taking out the 220 as its fun and deadly out to 250 yards.

Wvroach

WKR
I have a older mossberg 500 slugster, it shoots well great for short range only weapon areas. Just use the old Winchester super x in it and performs well.