Dedicated deer shotgun

rayporter

WKR
the parking lot was full at the Remington plant last week. dont know for sure if they are running but the slug season will be over before they are ready. the first thing to produce will be 9mm and .22 and.223. might take a year to catch up on that before they even think about slugs.

it would be a great opportunity for some one to upstage the accutip!!

as a side note-did any of you accutip shooters ever really look at a round and check out the bullet and sabot [before shooting]

one gun would not shoot them and i got to looking. man the bullet moves back and fourth a lot. many a bullet can be pushed back into the case [ a lot]

Buy as many Accutips as you can from same lot#
Got 7 boxes left out of the case of 10 I bought 2 years ago.
2 bucks and 5 does with it so far on Ft Campbell

Shoots like this.
Gave it 2 clicks left after the final shot intially zeroing it.
Aint adjusted it since.

rclouse79

WKR
I love my savage 220 I picked up this year. I ended up paying an exorbitant price for four boxes of accutips online. They are now sold out everywhere. There are rarely any brand of 20 gauge slugs on the shelf at cabelas or sportsman’s. I will probably give up on accutips with Remington going bankrupt. 999E4CA3-25FB-49D2-A9E2-AA3D48733E87.jpeg

Stuff that hollow butt stock with 15 or 16 0z of fishing sinkers and wally world bags with a long shank screwdriver, put 10oz of the sinkers along the comb line.
Rest in the heel line.
Stick a simms pad on it.
Improves balance from weight forward barrel feel to right under the receiver where it should be and the weight aids in recoil reduction.
The 220 does have some recoil off the bench and bags.
Dont notice it whacking a deer though....
LOL!!!

JMO
JME
YMMV

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Winchester SX3 and it shoots great less than an inch at 100 I just no longer use it since now we can use straight wall in OHIO

OP
jt4

jt4

WKR
OP...How far are you expecting to shoot? If you are running a low power scope or red dot I would assume under 100 yards?

Under 100 for sure here. Even on out of state hunts I couldn’t see needing more than that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
Under 100 for sure here. Even on out of state hunts I couldn’t see needing more than that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree with the majority here that the 220 is the way to go 99% of the time. The reason I asked is because if you are 100yards and in or hunt really thick stuff you may want to consider a pump or semi auto and could probably get away with a smooth bore and rifled slugs. I know my 20ga 870 smooth bore with Federal Truball slugs shoots about 1.5" at 100 yards (i have a 3-9 scope on it).

N2TRKYS

WKR
I shot a 12ga 870 smooth bore with rifle sights with a cheap box of Winchester rifled slugs. I was surprised at the accuracy. I could cover 5 shots with my fist at 100 yards.

Quackshack

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a 12ga 870 smooth bore with rifle sights with a cheap box of Winchester rifled slugs. I was surprised at the accuracy. I could cover 5 shots with my fist at 100 yards.
My 870 with a smooth bore is all over the place. But that could be the operator. That thing kicks like a mule!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

bolo1187

FNG
If you can get your hands on an H&R Ultra Slug 20 ga for a decent price they are hard to beat. Super accurate with almost any slugs.

I have been trying to find a HR ultra 12 for the last 2 years. They rarely come up. And gun shows are on hold around here for a while.
I do really like my Benelli SBE 2 with slug barrel, but often do not need a auto. Also won't allow the kids to hunt with a auto at all. Single shot are nice because they tote around empty and then can break and load when ready. Also like the savage 220 with detachable mag. Kids can carry slug gun and have the mag in pocket. No accidental discharge. I never allow the kids to have a chambered round.

MTSabo

WKR
Savage 220. Dont be dumb like 20 yr old me and buy a 212 haha. Shoots great but man it hurts and for no real gain. Should just sell it havent used it in probably 7 years.

rclouse79

WKR
Savage 220. Dont be dumb like 20 yr old me and buy a 212 haha. Shoots great but man it hurts and for no real gain. Should just sell it havent used it in probably 7 years.
I have yet to shoot a slug out of a 12 gauge, and based on everything I have read I will keep it that way. I think my 220 had comparable kick to my .270.

hobbes

WKR
I used to shoot an 870 with a rifled Hastings barrel back in IL It has a cantilever scope mount. It shot pretty good, but I never used anything but plain old Winchester slugs. I'm sure it could be dialed in with better ammo. I had some sort of 4x shotgun scope on it, but don't recall the manufacturer.

My brother has an Ithaca Deerslayer that's been a good gun.