Dedicated Elk rifle??

wytx

WKR
300wsm, lots of bullet choices.
I've taken elk , cow bison and moose with mine, in addition to pronghorn, deer and bighorn sheep.
I load 165-168 gr bonded bullets.
Recoil ? Not much different than my .308 loads that were maybe a little "hot".
Nice, flat enough shooting and great energy. Was really impressed on how it put down my cow bison with one shot.

codym

WKR
I have a 280Ai and its great but recoil is not my favorite. It has a 24' proof barrel and recoil is more vertical then horizontal into your shoulder. It makes it hard to stay on target. My 300 PRC with 230 ATIPS is much more controllable. I recently was shooting with a friend that had a pretty damn light 7 suam built off a TIKKA action. It was pushing 180gn eld's at 3030 verified out to 2 miles. He whipped a whole bunch of 30's and 33' at an ELR match weekend before last. Recoil was much much more manageable than my 280AI. I'm really impressed with that cartridge.

Tsimms

FNG
What powder are you shooting? Try a slower burning powder like a Reloader 22. It will lessen the kick and still give you 3100+ velocity. One of the things i love about my 280 AI's are the lack of recoil. I'm shooting a touch longer barrel than you though. #4 HART barrel

codym

WKR
I'm using RL 23 with the 175 Bergers so its a stiff load, but I was using a 165 Sierra game king over h1000 to break it in and was having the same thing. I'm not sensitive to recoil and this rifle had a good break. It just doesn't seem balanced for whatever reason. As it has a ton of muzzle jump. I don't think mine is the norm.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have a 280Ai and its great but recoil is not my favorite. It has a 24' proof barrel and recoil is more vertical then horizontal into your shoulder. It makes it hard to stay on target. My 300 PRC with 230 ATIPS is much more controllable. I recently was shooting with a friend that had a pretty damn light 7 suam built off a TIKKA action. It was pushing 180gn eld's at 3030 verified out to 2 miles. He whipped a whole bunch of 30's and 33' at an ELR match weekend before last. Recoil was much much more manageable than my 280AI. I'm really impressed with that cartridge.
You have a brake on your 280AI? I shoot a super light 280AI and don't have issues with jump or recoil.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I also don't have a carbon barrel, but it's a Cooper 92 with a lightweight Wilson barrel and radial brake. At less than 7lbs scoped it's certainly not heavy. Kicks about like my 7-08 does, and I would take either over a 270 of any flavor.

codym

WKR
Yep. If I’m hunting I take it off but for range work it goes on. Everything I shoot down to .223 has a brake or a can. The rifle is light in the barrel but that wasn’t the point of my post. I wanted to offer my recent experience with the 7saum. Case capacity is similar to that of a 280AI but the real world numbers on that rifle were impressive. I’ve never come close to running a 180 class bullet at 3030 especially with h1000 which this rifle was. The recoil was very light and accuracy was amazing even at 1 mile. If I were building a light recoiling elk rifle I would definitely try a 7suam especially with adg making brass for it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The 7SAUM and 280AI are ballistic twins for the most part. Almost identical case capacity shooting the same 7mm bullets. If you build a 7SAUM on a long action you can play with seating depth on longer bullets, but you can do pretty much the same thing with a long throated 280AI. What 280AI are you shooting now that you don't like the balance/ recoil of? My next 280AI will have a heavier contour barrel with a faster twist for heavies. As it is now barrel harmonics on mine limit me to 168s and below, which is fine, because 145LRXs absolutely hammer elk out of it. I'm also loading for accuracy, not for speed. I'm also giving up velocity by running a 24" barrel instead of the 26" that most velocity figures are quoted with. I'll certainly never tell anyone not to buy another rifle, at least while we still can.

codym

WKR
The 7SAUM and 280AI are ballistic twins for the most part. Almost identical case capacity shooting the same 7mm bullets. If you build a 7SAUM on a long action you can play with seating depth on longer bullets, but you can do pretty much the same thing with a long throated 280AI. What 280AI are you shooting now that you don't like the balance/ recoil of? My next 280AI will have a heavier contour barrel with a faster twist for heavies. As it is now barrel harmonics on mine limit me to 168s and below, which is fine, because 145LRXs absolutely hammer elk out of it. I'm also loading for accuracy, not for speed. I'm also giving up velocity by running a 24" barrel instead of the 26" that most velocity figures are quoted with. I'll certainly never tell anyone not to buy another rifle, at least while we still can.

I believe this to be the case as well but I'm on my 3 rd 280AI and can tell you I have never been able to get a 180 class bullet to 7 saum speeds. I don't understand it either. I'm completely happy with my 280 AI, I never said I wasn't. I dont like how the rifle rides the bags and has a great deal of muzzle jump but its a deer rifle that doesn't get shot a ton so it's fine. It's a BH SR3 with a 24' proof 1/8.4 twist in a McMillian game scout. I have a 300 PRC that is a 26' proof large shank barrel that I switch in and out for ELR and it is much more pleasant to shoot, probably due to the length and a bit more weight up front. Again I wasn't trying to make this thread to complain about my 280AI, I like it for what it is, I know and really enjoy the caliber. As a 280 AI fan, I really don't understand how the 7SAUM is doing what I'm seeing but it does. Maybe its the ADG brass handling pressure better than the 280AI nosler brass. I know it's throated to standard sammi specs and was feeding from a standard tikka action.

codym

WKR
Correction it is throated a bit long but he couldn't recall. Who knows maybe its a fluke he just got a super fast barrel but I haven't been that impressed in a long time.

Storman

FNG
Well
Ok all I have been contemplating on getting a new rifle, I currently use my 270 win and 140 Accbonds for elk, my family and I have had zero issues with harvesting elk with a 270 or 7mm-08. I just keep thinking maybe it's time to load heavier weight bullets in the 270 or 7-08 or go for a 280 rem, 30-06 or 300 WSM. I already have a bunch of 7mm caliber bullets that's why I throw the 280 in there, but If get a 30-06 or 300 WSM I have to basically start from scratch. I have some brass in both calibers but no dies or gun for that matter. Just curious to hear ya'lls thoughts or experience. I don't love recoil so a 280 rem loaded with stout 150 or 160's might be ideal. Or at least less recoil than the 06 or WSM. thanks
If any one has a great deal on a stainless of any of the calibers let me know..
well if it was my choice the 30-06 shooting 168 grain is excellent. I have guns that dont like certain bullets so you will have to experiment.

hunting1

WKR
I have several rifles and even had .338WM but realized a 6-lb .308 stacks bodies all day. I have never had to shoot over 300-yards except for giggles at an antelope (610 yards) but I could have got closer.

Woman and kids kill elk every year and they shoot lighter calibers. Unless you plan to become a gun looney like most here any 270, 7-08, 308, 30-06, 280, etc. with a premium bullet will do the job. I say pick the rifle and set up you want.

Wassid82

WKR
I have several kills with 270 and 280 rem. I love the caliber and definitely the recoil but years ago I watched two bull elk in successive years walk over the ridge never to be found. the first time I thought it was my placement of the shot. the following year I thought for sure it was a dead bull....but it too got away. at that point I switched to a 30 cal for a wider range of bullet selection. I've never again lost an elk. Bull elk are just hardy animals and I want the ability to reach further with higher energy to help ensure an ethical kill

slvrslngr

WKR
Ok all I have been contemplating on getting a new rifle, I currently use my 270 win and 140 Accbonds for elk, my family and I have had zero issues with harvesting elk with a 270 or 7mm-08. I just keep thinking maybe it's time to load heavier weight bullets in the 270 or 7-08 or go for a 280 rem, 30-06 or 300 WSM. I already have a bunch of 7mm caliber bullets that's why I throw the 280 in there, but If get a 30-06 or 300 WSM I have to basically start from scratch. I have some brass in both calibers but no dies or gun for that matter. Just curious to hear ya'lls thoughts or experience. I don't love recoil so a 280 rem loaded with stout 150 or 160's might be ideal. Or at least less recoil than the 06 or WSM. thanks
If any one has a great deal on a stainless of any of the calibers let me know..

If you're going to step up, step up. I'd go 300 mag (whichever version you like) or 338 WM. Since you're recoil sensitive, that means a brake. Another choice not yet mentioned would be a 35 Whelen. Or, load the 270 with 150 gr. Partitions and rock on.

If you're going to step up, step up. I'd go 300 mag (whichever version you like) or 338 WM. Since you're recoil sensitive, that means a brake. Another choice not yet mentioned would be a 35 Whelen. Or, load the 270 with 150 gr. Partitions and rock on.
Recoil stings for a few minutes - then you walk up on your fresh meat and it seems to go away. 300 win mag is my vote.

StillBald

FNG
Put on a brake (helps with recoil with the added benefit of deafening anyone to your L or R) or a suppressor (legal in most states to hunt with, but double check before you begin the process). I've put a suppressor on my rifles and don't know if I can shoot unsuppressed again.

nphunter

WKR
Love my 280AI, it’s piles up a lot of animals, 6 elk in 5 years. Mine is built on a model 700 with a #4 barrel and isn’t super lite but doesn’t kick at all IMO, my son has killed 3 deer with it in 3 years and his first when he was 8. My oldest 14 has killed a good bull with it and has shot it since I built it and my wife has killed a buck and cow with it as well. Mine does not have a brake on it either.
One thing I find funny is everyone talking about ammo availability with 7mm, 06, 300, etc. well I was running around yesterday and being an election year nobody has any ammo on the shelves. I mean almost zero ammo for any common rifle. What I did see is that all three of the local gun shops have about 20 box’s of 280AI between them:) They also have a few of the other more unique rounds but all the common cartridges are long gone and have been for months. Same goes for hunting season out here in Northeast OR. If you think your going to walk in to a local gun shop or sporting goods retailer and pick up 06, .243, 270, 308 or any other common ammo during hunting season your mistaken. Everyone waits until the last minute and about the first of Oct on it’s all gone. Maybe some of the stores in the big city’s will have some but not in the middle of nowhere.
The nice thing about an Ackley is that it can also shoot its parent cartridge, so 280 Remington can be shot and a lot of times very accurately.
If a person really wanted they could darn near shoot an Ackley for free, just dial it in with 280 Remington, hunt with it and then sell all the once fired brass for what you can buy 280 ammo for. My Ackley shoots 280 Remington loads MOA, I use them for predator hunting and then reload the fire formed brass for big game.

43.6N

FNG
Same boat here.
ive always thought 280ai or 270wsm hit a nice middle ground.
I really like lead free bullets, and both of those should be fast enough for good performance.

curious though what you ended up doing since you posted over the summer?