Dedicated Video Camera vs Camera with Video Capability?

Gman

WKR
BB,

You're correct, it's a 49mm threading. Is this something I can get at my local camera shop or do I need to go online? Might want to put that setup together for my upcoming trip.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
BB,

You're correct, it's a 49mm threading. Is this something I can get at my local camera shop or do I need to go online? Might want to put that setup together for my upcoming trip.

Thanks!

Your camera shop probably has the step ring. If you call Tines Up they will let you know if they have a 58mm Video ScopeCam for your spotter in stock, or how long it will take to get one. Tines Up also has step rings available.

Gman

WKR
You're costing me $$ BB. Order placed with Tines Up today. They were awesome to work with and I should have the setup in time for my goat scouting trip this wknd. Pics to follow.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Glad I could help.

It occurred to me you need to make sure the lens part with the filter threads does not rotate during autofocus. I think I read that the kit lens internally focuses, so it should be ok.

However, if the front of the lens rotates to focus it will turn the camera on the scope when you autofocus. The fix is to turn the lens to manual focus and focus with the scope's focus adjustment.

Last edited:

Gman

WKR
My Tines Up adapter arrived yesterday. Talk about fast shipping. Heading out after work tonight for a few days of goat scouting and high alpine fishing. I'll be taking plenty of pics, hopefully I can get some good stills and video to post up on the site you so you can see what the little Sony can do.

Gman

WKR
Okay, here are some pics from the past weekend, with the Sony NEX5. I didn't get any video. Most settings were just the "auto" although I am playing around with some more sophisticated camera settings.

This was using the Tines up adapter and step up ring -- the adapter works awesome and now I need to perfect my digiscope settings. Scope was an ATM Swaro 65 (non-HD). I can't figure out how to lose the ring, but I still need to practice.

DSC00350.jpg

Handheld shot, no adapter here... notice the off-center ring.

DSC00356.jpg

With Tines-Up adapter:

DSC00352.jpg

With adapter:

DSC00351.jpg

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice. Way better than my first tries!

You may want to use Aperture Priority mode on the camera, and use the lens wide-open to increase your shutter speed.

The vignetting (black circle) you are getting is due to the focal length of the lens. Which lens are you using?

Gman

WKR
Very nice. Way better than my first tries!

You may want to use Aperture Priority mode on the camera, and use the lens wide-open to increase your shutter speed.

The vignetting (black circle) you are getting is due to the focal length of the lens. Which lens are you using?

Thanks BB. Using the stock, 18-55 lens... I need to practice in the backyard. I made the age old mistake of throwing the adapter in my bag in the plastic bag it came in and tried to figure it out at the moment of truth.. on the job training not always the best. :) I'll practice and take some of your notes and see if I can't reduce the vignetting in certain situations. Question, I keep a UV filter on the lens, will that have any impact on the vignetting if I remove it? Just thinking it will bring that adapter back by just a little bit and perhaps reduce the tentancy to getting in the FOV?

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I bet an 80-100 mm lens would do the trick. If you can get the lens closer to the eyepiece, I think it will reduce the vignetting. Removing the filter would probably help. Do you have the eyecup screwed in all the way?

Gman

WKR
I'm not sure on the eyepiece. I think I had it out, so I need experiment and fine tune that piece. I only have the 18-55 and the 55-210... I'll experiment this week with removing the filter, playing with the aperture, etc.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
It really depends on the eyepiece and camera lens, but:

My thinking is you should be able to eliminate vignetting if you directly mount the Tines Up w/o a UV filter, screw in the Swaro Eyecup completely, and use the lens out near its max focal length of 55mm.

A 30mm prime lens like the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 for NEX may work well too.

I would love to hear how it goes, as this is a system I am considering myself.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nice stuff man!

Couple tips, keep the scope at 20X and zoom with the camera. Put your camera in macro mode (typically a flower symbol). This allows the lens to focus at very close distance so you can typically focus the scope for your eye and the camera can focus sharply on that same image. I always got the best images that way. My avatar pic is a digiscoped photo with an old Nikon Coolpix and Swarovski AT80.

Coop

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just an add-on to above - some cameras will not macro focus unless they are at about 4X zoom... but that is how you get rid of the dark circle (vignetting - is the technical term for that). A very steady tripod is one of the biggest keys to getting a good image. If there is any wind above a light breeze, you're going to struggle. Hard to keep a heavy scope plus a camera that throws it out of balance real steady unless you pile a rock cairn around your tripod!

Also, you must use the self-timer function on the camera or pushing the button will cause too much wiggle. Some cameras can be set to 3 seconds so you don't have to wait as long... Happy shooting!

Coop

Gman

WKR
Hey guys, running some tests this eve... put camera in macro mode, removed the UV filter, but cannot get rid of the vignetting... no matter what I zoom in or out to. Any other suggestions? I'll also send this to Tines Up and see if they have any thoughts -

Gman

WKR
BB you are proving yourself to be quite the optics/camera/digiscoping savant!!! So, went back to the testing grounds. I did have the eyecup fully collapsed with the 18-55 with no way to omit the vignette effect. However, I am able to completely eliminate it with the 55-200 attached! I'm about half zoom - pick of my set up below. I was just thinking I could leave the 55-200 at home on future trips but looks like I'll be packing it! Thanks for all your (and Darin's) help. I'm home this weekend but on another scout trip next weekend so hopefully have some new and improved pics. Oh, and the Sony has an option for a 10 sec or a 2 sec delay on the timed shot in case you were curious.

digiscopesetup.jpg

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I have heard the 18-55 isn't too digiscoping friendly. I believe the 30mm Sigma may be the NEX's best lens for digiscoping.

The 55-210 will certainly work and work well, but you aren't going to want to leave it on the eyepiece unsupported for very long periods of time. Neither the Swaro Eyepiece or the 55-210 was designed to support that kind of weight, especially with the lens extended like in the photo.