Dedicated Video Camera vs Camera with Video Capability?

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No offense... but that's a little gawdy! In general I've found that cameras with internal zoom mechanism are a little more digiscoping friendly and you really don't need a super hot-rod camera for the best results. The image quality is more a function of getting sharp focus and having good glass on the big end (scope).

I took many of my best shots with a 3.1 MP camera...

Does anyone make a direct adapter to the camera for that lens-mount? Might save you from packing both lenses.

I have used a direct mount adapter with my Nikon D40X on a Nikon spotter with good results - but then someone stole the 82mm scope, my 300mm lens, my prototype AlphaMax, my gps, rangefinder, pack, 15X56 Swarovskis, etc, etc...

By the way, if you ever run across an AlphaMax with camo dipped cams and pockets, give me a holler - I might know who it used to belong to.

Coop

Gman

WKR
No offense... but that's a little gawdy! In general I've found that cameras with internal zoom mechanism are a little more digiscoping friendly and you really don't need a super hot-rod camera for the best results. The image quality is more a function of getting sharp focus and having good glass on the big end (scope).

I took many of my best shots with a 3.1 MP camera...

Does anyone make a direct adapter to the camera for that lens-mount? Might save you from packing both lenses.

I have used a direct mount adapter with my Nikon D40X on a Nikon spotter with good results - but then someone stole the 82mm scope, my 300mm lens, my prototype AlphaMax, my gps, rangefinder, pack, 15X56 Swarovskis, etc, etc...

By the way, if you ever run across an AlphaMax with camo dipped cams and pockets, give me a holler - I might know who it used to belong to.

Coop

Well, it's what I have. The camera wasn't purchased with digiscoping in mind. It's more for quality photos than shooting through the scope. Just trying to make what I have work.

Not sure I understand the question about the "direct adapter"... what exactly to you mean? The Tines Up mounts directly to the lents and slips over the eyepiece of the scope. It's pretty minimalist...

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Gman,

I actually think you will get better pics with your large sensor NEX than a compact low-zoom camera, if everything lines up right.

I do use a compact camera however, because they are so convenient to use in the field, as Darin mentioned. It is easier to get a good photo with a compact, in my experience, even if the "good" photos are better in the DSLRs.

If you are more interested in stills than video, Gman, my recommendation with the NEX is to use the 18-55, and just crop out the vignetting later with photo editing software.

Something to consider would be supplementing your NEX with a dedicated digiscoping compact. You could have it in your pack with the Tines Up mounted and ready to go. Even low cost compacts with 5x zooms or less work well for digiscoping.

I know it is taking a while, but I am just finishing my digiscoping article and companion video, and hopefully Roksliders can avoid some of the growing pains of starting digiscoping.

Gman

WKR
Matt,

You're probably right. Just did a super quick crop test of the photo below.... you'd never know the difference. I'll still probably pack the 55-200 on my next trip to test it out and try and test the video if I get the chance as well...

goatscopetrimtest.jpg

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
GMan, sorry if my comment came off wrong - definitely not trying to bag on your setup, that's a fantastic camera. I was more or less hinting that a small dedicated compact might be more practical for backpacking in and especially for digiscoping work than the 200mm lens. No need to spend more money and have two cameras if you don't already have another compact kicking around.

The "direct mounts" are usually sold by the scope manufacturers and will mount directly to the camera body without a lens on it. Locks in exactly like and in place of your lens. I know Swaro, Leica, & Nikon all make them for Canon and Nikon SLR's, just not sure if they have embraced your camera's mount yet since it's not as commonplace. Might be worth checking into it though... There is typically no vignetting issues with that type of setup and it reduces the weight of "stuff" hanging off your scope. You also have way fewer lens elements to rob precious light.

I think your biggest challenge with that rig will be stability and getting sharp photos due to vibration from the wind. Regardless of the digiscoping setup this is the bigges hurdle to "good" photos due to the monstrous effective focal length you are shooting with. You might have better luck shooting in shutter priority and ramping your shutter speed up as fast as possible with a wide open aperture and dealing with moderately under exposed photos to retain detail. Most of the exposure can be corrected in photoshop or any reasonable photo editor especially if you shoot in RAW for your money shots.

Coop

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Gman,

A few things to think about on a "direct mount" slr spotter adapter. This is the Swaro version:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/284210-REG/Swarovski_49313_TLS_800_SLR_Camera_Adapter.html

I am sure there is a T adapter for the NEX mount available, and it would work except ...

The problem with those adapters ( I had the Zeiss version years ago), is you end up with a 800mm fixed aperture, manual focus lens. You also have to switch eyepieces to use the spotter for viewing. With a dedicated compact and the TU adapter, you get autofocus, video, and a wide range of focal lengths much longer than 800mm. It just pops on and off the eyepiece in a second too. That Swaro adapter is also over 1/2 pound. The compact camera and TU is lighter, more capable, and less expensive (Some Canon ELPHs that work well can be found for under $100). You can still carry your NEX for scenic shots, trophy photos, action video, etc.

The absolute best option would be for Sony to make a compact internally focusing lens that would work for dgiscoping. Right now digiscopers are raving about the Nikon 1 and the 10-30 kit zoom working very well.

Darin's suggestion for using Shutter Priority is a good one for getting sharp photos, but I have had better luck using Aperture Priority, opening it wide open, and letting the camera choose a shutter speed. Different path to the same goal.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
the Nikon v1 I referenced above is pretty close, although the sensor is a smaller 1" sensor. Right now the Nikon 1 series cameras have the reputation of being the best digiscoping mirrorless SLRs available.

ken

FNG
Digiscoping aside...for normal use, including HD video work, would there be much diff. between the Nikon and the Sony?

Gman

WKR
Coop - no offense taken. Just not sure I'm ready to go down the rabbit hole of a direct mount set up. Keep in mind that's the large 55-200 lens. The 18-55 is much shorter and doesn't look like a monstrosity hanging off my eyepiece. I like the TU adapter for it's lightweight and ease of use. Right now I'm a pretty casual digiscoper so I can make this work. Regarding the camera in the backcountry, I used to pack a small Canon that took really good pics. But after upgrading the the Sony, it's takes better pics and the extra weight is worth it to me to have really great photos of my backcountry experiences.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
The Sony has a sensor size advantage, so outside of digiscoping, I think the video would be a little better. I haven't spent any time with the Nikon 1's video yet, but most people say the video is very good and close to an APS-C sensor camera, like the NEX.

These are the two camera systems I am looking at. I was leaning towards the Sony, but the digiscoping lens issues make me want to look closer at the Nikon.

ken

FNG
The Nikon J1 would be another step down in video, compared to the V1??..

This bundle looks pretty tempting for the price though.

http://shop.nikonusa.com/store/nikonusa/en_US/pd/ThemeID.18145600/productID.239602000

I'm looking for a general use camera with videoing the kids soccer games etc. being priority #1. I was looking at dedicated video cameras like the Handycams until I found you fellas talking about these little gems...lol...I'm glad I did before I spent any money. These little pocket cams seem to be alot more interesting than the Handi's.

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
From what I can find the cameras have the same sensors and capabilities. The differences are the following:

1. V1 has an electronic view finder while the J1 only has an LCD.
2. The V1 has a much nicer LCD.
3. The J1 has a built in flash while the V1 has a hotshoe and a removeable flash.
4. The V1 is a little heavier and $250 more expensive.

ken

FNG
The new NEX F3 looks intersting too. That has 1080 HD. From what I can gather it's the 5N without a touchscreen and a slower shutter. (5fps vs 10 fps). It's $100 cheaper, which could be put towards the 55-210 zoom.

Decisions decisions...

OR Archer

WKR
If I was going to recommend a camera that can do it all it would be the Leica Vlux 3. Takes phenomenal photos and the video quality is unreal. Has great optical zoom and also the mics for video are superb. You can usually find them for under a grand.