Deep in Arrow Builds with Bill Vanderheyden

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member

This week Bill Vanderheyden with Iron Will Broadheads joins us to take a deep dive into arrow builds. He talks about arrow spine, penetration, fletching, momentum and a number of other things he’s been testing.

Iron Will Broadheads -> https://www.ironwilloutfitters.com/fixed-blade-broadheads

OnX Hunt Maps, use code Rokcast for 20% off -> https://www.onxmaps.com/hunt/app

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
he knows his stuff. Right mix of hunter and engineer (geek) ahahahaha, sorry Bill. Not

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Wow on the penetration force line from 2 blade to expandable required! 15x more force needed for an expandable

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Wow on the penetration force line from 2 blade to expandable required! 15x more force needed for an expandable
That's why I wanted so badly last year to shoot my moose with an expandable head......but shot him first with a fixed blade head. So when I got a second shot at him I was pumped. The mechanical head arrow buried almost to the fletching on my 30" arrows on a broadside shot, but didn't make it through the offside hide nor the offside ribs. The fixed blade (QAD Exodus) made two holes on a slightly quartering away shot.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
That's why I wanted so badly last year to shoot my moose with an expandable head......but shot him first with a fixed blade head. So when I got a second shot at him I was pumped. The mechanical head arrow buried almost to the fletching on my 30" arrows on a broadside shot, but didn't make it through the offside hide nor the offside ribs. The fixed blade (QAD Exodus) made two holes on a slightly quartering away shot.

Hey what a killer test! That’s good to know man. Sounds like you still got pretty good penetration with the expandable though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Hey what a killer test! That’s good to know man. Sounds like you still got pretty good penetration with the expandable though
Ya, but with my almost 33" draw at 75lbs with a 500+ grain arrow.......I still expected better penetration. This was with a 3-blade over the top 1.5" cut head (GR Fatal Steel). These have been deadly on everything I've shot with them, but haven't had a complete passthrough yet.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Ya, but with my almost 33" draw at 75lbs with a 500+ grain arrow.......I still expected better penetration. This was with a 3-blade over the top 1.5" cut head (GR Fatal Steel). These have been deadly on everything I've shot with them, but haven't had a complete passthrough yet.

That’s some serious foot pounds. I guess I shouldn’t be upset that I live in Idaho and that we can’t shoot expendables. I got to hunt with them one year in Wyoming and on one buck I got a complete pass-through. But that’s the only animal I’ve ever shot with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Great talking to you Jordan! We've decided to put some short videos up on our Youtube channel to show the formulas, graphs, and sketches that go along with our discussion. The link here is for the Energy and Momentum Video we just posted. More to come.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Great talking to you Jordan! We've decided to put some short videos up on our Youtube channel to show the formulas, graphs, and sketches that go along with our discussion. The link here is for the Energy and Momentum Video we just posted. More to come.

awesome Bill, as a sponsor, you can post those in the archery forum if you haven't already.