Deep Sea Fishing Trip

For those of you that have done the deep sea trip I could use some help. I looking at a trip sometime in the next year for roughly 5-6 guys. I don't want to be on a boat with other people not in the group. More than likely we will be going from California. Questions I have that maybe you could help me with.
1. What length of trip is best 3-5 days of fishing?
2. Do you stay on the boat or come back to town each day
3. What time of year is the best, I know it will change depending on the type of fish
4. What fish would you target for the best eating
5. Do you get to keep all the meat from the fish and regulation taking it back home
6. Would you prefer to go up North/Alaska or South/Mexico
7. What is the average daily cost for the boat per person roughly. I am guessing the provide all the gear and bait.
8. For someone who gets a little motion sickness is taking pills enough

I would like to start adding some bigger fishing trips in along with the hunting trips we already do.
Thanks

San Diego is famous for party boat style fishing, in particular longer multi-day trips on large boats with lots of guys that target tuna. You bring all your own equipment for most of those trips. If that's not what you're looking for, check out fishingbooker, it's the easy way to see what species are popular in a given area and the trip specific details. Private charters almost always provide the gear and clean the fish for you to take home, and you tip the mate after the trip.

Go north for bottom fish and halibut, stay put for tuna and nice yellowtail, go south for big tuna, big yellowtail, and mahi.

It costs 2-7k per day to be out on a private boat depending on location and target species (might be higher now due to gas prices), the per person cost depends on how many guys (typically up to 6) you have with you. How many days you fish back to back is up to you, I typically go once a year if I'm lucky.

Domestic, and if you want to bring meat home, I would go to Venice, LA and fish the rigs. Yellow fin tuna, wahoo, etc.

International and if you want to check off bucket list fish, I would check out either Tropic Star Lodge in Panama, or Los Suenos in Costa Rica

Google and check out the websites and you will get answers to your questions minus the seasickness. Take dramamine before you get on the boat, and don't drink the night before. If you all are going to get drunk every night, then getting sick the next day is a risk you take......

Rich M

WKR
I work with a guy who is trying to time trips to Venice, LA and is on his second trip, trying to get into yellowfin tuna. Not sure on the prices but he says that it's expensive but he wants to get one, so he's going.

robtattoo

WKR
I work with a guy who is trying to time trips to Venice, LA and is on his second trip, trying to get into yellowfin tuna. Not sure on the prices but he says that it's expensive but he wants to get one, so he's going.

Might I suggest forgetting about Venice?
I know a couple of exceptional skippers out of Grand Isle & Port Fourchon that will definitely get you into the meat, for less money. They're fishing the same waters as the Venice guys but because Venice is 'Known' for its tuna fishing, it is far, far more expensive.
Google 'Nautical Miles Charters' out of GI
and 'Down the Bayou' out of Fourchon.
You won't be disappointed in either of them. If he can scrape together 5 other anglers, you can rent an Airbnb for 2 nights & do an entire 36hr offshore trip for about $1500 each.

robtattoo

WKR
FB_IMG_1537704070995.jpg20180922_121459.jpg20180922_121659.jpgFB_IMG_1537676121605.jpg

All these were taken on a single 24 hour trip, with Miles. Late September following the shrimp trawlers.

Last edited:

Gman12

Lil-Rokslider
I would add to any US list the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Fishing out of Oregon Inlet, NC is world class fishing and the gulf stream is relatively close with the average being only about 35 miles off the beach. Most of the charters take 6 people. Species targeted are tuna, dolphin, wahoo and billfish primarily. Mid-May through the end of June is my favorite. Boats are smashing the yellowfin tunas currently along with big gaffer dolphin. Google Oregon Inlet Fishing Center and check out the fishing reports. Seeing is believing.

Laramie

WKR
I have been out several times on each coast. One thing I have found true, you save quite a bit of money if you base your trips out of less known places with lower cost of living. I have also found those guys go the extra mile for you more often than the big name hot spots will. If I was just doing one trip this year it would be Red Snapper out of the Pensacola area. Amazing table fare and a great time catching fish for quite a bit less money than the overnight trips - even when you consider the airfare.

@Gman12 is correct. Oregon Inlet is the bomb. You should have a great time & bring home lots of groceries, plus the ride to the gulfstream is shorter up there.

Since you're in CA you might wanna check out Kona, HI also. One of the best places in the world for big Marlin, tuna, wahoo, etc. The best part is you start fishing within minutes of leaving the harbor instead of hours. Check with the charter first as they have some BS policies about who keeps certain fish. My brother caught a 200+# tuna & it went to the boat captain. He was not happy to say the least

6t4nova

WKR
Going on a multiple day trip out of CA will be expensive. The time of year will dictate what species you target. Right now out of San Diego the Blue Fin fishing has been good. Just got back from a 1.75 day and came home with a 100 lb and 201 lb blue fin.

Later in the summer will be yellow fin and big eye.

If you're set on going private out of CA, there are many options with your wallet being the limiting factor lol. Right now the blue fin bite has been on jigs during the night and sinker bait rigs during the day time. You can always rent your rod/reels but jigs and lures will be on you to provide.

As mentioned above, look into LA if your wanting day trips. Could go offshore some and also fish inshore for reds and trout.

JFK

WKR
The multi day trips out of pt loma San Diego are awesome. I’ve had a couple trips down there where it was non stop action from sun up to sun down with foaming tuna at the stern. Had to rack my rod a a few times throughout the day to let my back rest from pulling on them for hours. Great time. The last few years it seems like the fishing is just getting better and better down there. Best luck for me has been trips in the Fall. August through November.

I would add to any US list the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Fishing out of Oregon Inlet, NC is world class fishing and the gulf stream is relatively close with the average being only about 35 miles off the beach. Most of the charters take 6 people. Species targeted are tuna, dolphin, wahoo and billfish primarily. Mid-May through the end of June is my favorite. Boats are smashing the yellowfin tunas currently along with big gaffer dolphin. Google Oregon Inlet Fishing Center and check out the fishing reports. Seeing is believing.
+1 for the Inlet...also some good Capt/boats out of Wanchese too.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
In all the excitement and cool fish pics have you gave any thought if someone gets seasick? I'd do day trips til I knew my buddies could handle the seas. Twenty years in the Coast Guard I've seen some real sick SOB's.-WW

SDHNTR

WKR
San Diego. We are experiencing world class Bluefin tuna fishing right now. I own a boat here and stay pretty tuned into the scene. Happy to help if you want to pm me.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Check out sea forth Landin in San Diego. They have everything from overnight up to 14 day trips. I personally won't go on anything more than 5 days. You will stay out on the water the entire time. Now is a good time for blue fin tuna. Yellowtail staring to pick up.Resized_Resized_20220520_062859.jpeg

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Always get advice on what gear you will need. If you are not use to this type of fishing, start with shorter trips. Overnight and 1.5 day trips.

Rich M

WKR
In all the excitement and cool fish pics have you gave any thought if someone gets seasick? I'd do day trips til I knew my buddies could handle the seas. Twenty years in the Coast Guard I've seen some real sick SOB's.-WW
If someone is going ocean fishing, they had better consider seasickness.

I been on trips where guys have begged to go in but the women just tough it out. My stespson hung out with us for a 12 hour charter once, kept giving him food to eat and toss cause its better than dry heaving.

Can’t believe someone w motion sickness would go on a multiple day offshore fishing trip and then say oopsie!

A lot of good options here. Depends what you want to fish for. There are some killer deals in Mexico if you don't need a fancy boat. This was only a 5 hours trip, but it was $250. The marlin is not typical but it seems like they almost catch sailfish every trip. This same trip out of Florida is $2000.FB_IMG_1645236137207.jpgFB_IMG_1645236128305.jpg