Deep Sea Fishing Trip

Seasickness can make a great trip into a very miserable one, especially for someone who has never experienced it before because there's no relief from it until it calms down or you're on land. Rough seas overnight leads to no sleep & compounds the effects.
After years of fishing & diving the consensus of most people I know is that Dramamine & Bonine are only somewhat effective. Ginger gum is useless. The Scopolamine patch is the best.
One thing that actually works for me is the pressure points on your wrist. If I start feeling a little iffy I just hold it for a few minutes & it goes away. Those Sea Bands are based on this but without additional pressure applied they don't work as good.
Stay hydrated with water & don't eat anything crazy & keep your face in the breeze.
One more thing.. DON'T BRING A BANANA ON THE BOAT!

Get ready for a diesel surcharge too I chartered six pack boats then had to bump up to 14 for a few years until guys got flaky about committing and prices got crazy. Not all trips are tuna rich there can be some long boat rides as well. We only did overnight trips which was plenty for most guys. The captain is key in my opinion. We had a great guy that would let us fish the kelp paddies for yellowtail when we ran across them instead of trolling non stop fish or not. Great memories and awesome eats.

OP
M
The seasickness is a real concern. Hopefully pills and a patch will work if not this would be a no go. I dont do well with motion sickness but pills have helped for the most part when I need them.

Thanks for the advice

Look at seaforth landing, h and m landing, fisherman's landing and point Loma sportsfishing. They are all in San Diego and there is a reason they each run 10+ boats running from half days to 16days. If your looking for tuna now is the time.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
Might I suggest forgetting about Venice?
I know a couple of exceptional skippers out of Grand Isle & Port Fourchon that will definitely get you into the meat, for less money. They're fishing the same waters as the Venice guys but because Venice is 'Known' for its tuna fishing, it is far, far more expensive.
Google 'Nautical Miles Charters' out of GI
and 'Down the Bayou' out of Fourchon.
You won't be disappointed in either of them. If he can scrape together 5 other anglers, you can rent an Airbnb for 2 nights & do an entire 36hr offshore trip for about $1500 each.
Nailed it. Went down there last year and found this to be 100% true. Everyone fishes the same waters, but if your charter address is out of Venice, get ready to pay 30-50% more.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Nailed it. Went down there last year and found this to be 100% true. Everyone fishes the same waters, but if your charter address is out of Venice, get ready to pay 30-50% more.
Grand Isle right now may be tough. I know the Vegas's are getting up and rolling but they also have a lot more resources than many others after the storm. They have a few places to stay up and rolling though at Bridgeside. Places to stay on the island or Fourchon are most likely at a premium and what is there is likely rented up by the contractor crews still working. I agree Venice is the cool thing to do, but those boys can fish too. Also, up the road from Venice Marina are the outfits out of Cypress Cove that aren't Venice Marina cool. Lance Walker with Fish Commander catches a lot of fish out of GI. I would check lodging availability before booking a trip or you may be staying up north of Golden Meadow.

SDHNTR

WKR
While we’re at it, can we stop calling it deep sea fishing too? No one who has any experience ever calls it that. Offshore fishing.

Last edited:

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
While we’re at it, can we stop calling it offshore fishing too? No one who has any experience ever calls it that. Offshore fishing.
The people in the Northern Gulf do as we have both offshore and inshore saltwater fishing from the same docks, as well as freshwater fishing. There is a huge difference. And plenty of people with plenty of experience differentiate between the two. I tell you to meet me in Venice and we're going fishing. We going offshore, or inshore? It makes a difference.

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
Btw the big boys are out there this year. This was early may on a 2.5 day out of fisherman's landing San Diego. Boat was the top gun. Tired of party boats though so next year I'll be on smaller boats.

20220502_064744_HDR.jpg

Yoder

WKR
If you're worried about getting sick, ask your doctor for some motion sickness patches. My wife gets it bad and they work great. Just don't touch your eye after touching the patch. It dilates you pupils. I didn't know this and had one huge pupil and one normal. I almost thought I had a brain tumor.

You could head up Hwy 101 in September and hire what we call a 6-pack boat for albacore tuna. Go to YouTube and search for live bait Oregon tuna trips. When the fish are in you can catch so many in one trip you‘ll be looking for ways to give it away. Combine the trip with salmon or crab if you’re really greedy!

P

skxf430

FNG
Not a big fan of party boats as you don't know who the other guys are and you sleep on bunk beds. And, if anyone in your party gets motion sickness it is a real nightmare. I like being able to come back after each day of fishing, showering and having a civilized dinner. I have had good luck in both Cabo and Panama where you go out each morning and fish the entire day and comeback that afternoon. Been able to catch all sorts of species from grouper, Marlin, Roosterfish, Dorado and tuna.

07yzryder

Lil-Rokslider
What was the tackle used to catch that fish?

Mustad 250gr moon riser in green sardine with upgraded hooks. 130lb JB hollow core to a 200lb seaguar flouro leader. Avet hxw raptor set to 50lbs drag at full sitting on a calsstar XXH 6foot rod.

Jig was upgraded with a welded on 8/0 owner jobu big game hook and a squid teaser. Jig was bent to hell but next drop nabbed an 85lber so it works still lol.

20220503_164601.jpg

I was Chartermaster for the Saltwater Anglers Club and booked trips like this all the time. PM'd ya my number...too many variables to type out but you can call me for insider info. I'd get carpal tunnels trying to type everything out.