Deep Six Broadhead Discussion

dryflyguy

Lil-Rokslider
So I have switched over to the Injexion arrows this year, but haven't settled on my broadhead yet. I am interested in the QAD exodus and the Helix broadhead. I am sure there are others worth considering as well.

I'm focused on how well they fly out past forty yards, penetration, and durability.

Has anyone done any side by side comparisons of the deep six broadheads?

OR Archer

WKR
I have shot the NAP Thunderhead Razors since switching over last year. Been thoroughly impressed with their accuracy at all distances. I am going to test them against the new Muzzy Trocar when we get them in. Haven't shot any other D6 heads. Hasn't been anything out yet that has really caught my eye.

I have not done a side by side comparison of the Deep Six heads, but have with many of the heads that are not Deep Six. The Exodus always comes out on top for me. In the testing I have done on the Exodus in Deep Six, I have been very impressed. I shot one head thru three hogs, and the head still looked new. It has the best balance of flight, cut size, penetration, ferrule strength, and blade edge retention of any head I have tested. There are no other Deep Six fixed blade heads that even come close. The Ramcats fly well and penetrate well, but the blades are just way weaker, due to them being thinner and having a more pointed tip to them.

OP
D

dryflyguy

Lil-Rokslider
The Solid broadheads look an awful lot like those German kinetics, only a little cheaper and the Solids have a deep six option.

To answer your question RL, I have not tried them.

eltaco

WKR
I used the solid broadheads last year, and have also used German kinetics. Honestly, I like everything about the solids better. All steel ferrule, easily as sharp if not sharper, hold the edge better, and FAR quieter in flight. Accuracy in long range flight is absolutely top notch. It'll be my broadhead of choice again this season.

jamaro

FNG
Here is a quick video I did on some 2-blade fixed heads...
http://youtu.be/815Q-OT025o

I switched the Solids last year from G.K.(I had been using G.K. for 5 years) last year and I couldn't be happier with them... They hit where you point them... ALL DAY...

If you have any questions, let me know...
J-

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have shot the Thunderhead Razor with great flight characteristics. I am also testing the Hartcraft Xchange. Amazing head thus far! One ferrule and 5 blade options. Warranty on the ferrule. So far so good! Destroyed a turkey with the Trophy II blades!

huntography

Lil-Rokslider
I'm still waiting for my Deep Six inserts to come in for my Easton Axis arrows so I haven't had a chance to test my new broadheads out.

I'll be shooting Strikland's Archery 125gr Helix broadhead.

I like the results on animals I read about this broadhead. Deep penetration. Massive wound channel. As a single right beveled head, I heard it has great flight when matched with right helical fletchings.

I hope to be able to test it myself later this week and share some first hand experience.

Rudy

vcb

WKR
Just got my D6 in 100 grain solid broadheads. Hoping they will fly great out of the cpxl. They look wicked.

Elc1973

FNG
Switched to the exodus last year( not deep six) and they are scary sharp and very strong. I shot my 3d target almost 20 times and could still shave the hair on my arms with it and they fly like darts great head for sure.

ontarget7

WKR
I have always been a fixed blade guy but this year I am going to try the Rage Hypodermic Deep Six.

huntography

Lil-Rokslider
So, combined with my Easton Axis 300 spine 500 gr arrow and Deep Six inserts, my Deep Six 125 gr Helix head is flying great and tearing up my Rinehart 18-1.

With my heavy setup, my Bowtech CPXL is shooting 294 fps with Kinetic Energy of 95.99.

That should keep pushing that arrow through any animal I'm fortunate to draw on.

Rudy

BSeals71

WKR
So after this past hunting season, what did you guys think of your boradhead choice?

Neil B

Lil-Rokslider
Shot a whitetail doe with a QAD Exodus full blade. Hit her forward in the shoulder and my Injexion/QAD broke the bone and still managed to get an exit. Far from an ideal hit, but after hitting some of the heaviest bone in the leg/shoulder my QAD looks fine. Blades are in such good shape I think you could resharpen them and the ferrule and shoot the head again. My total arrow weight was 466 gr. out of a 60 lb CPXL. Very solid head.

I have noticed I get very good alignment between my head and shaft with the deep six inserts. All the shafts I have spun on my Firenock arrow spinner (both slick tricks and qad's) have needed no further work after squaring up my shafts and installing inserts.

- Neil

The only draw back I have seen with D6 heads is that the ferrule is the weak point. I had several field points break off over the summer. They always broke right at base where head meets threaded part. I also had a broadhead do the same thing after I missed and my arrow bounced around a bit. I think it was becuase the arrow wall couldn't hold the deflection pressure. Om a few arrows I tried putting on an aluminum footer. This helped immensely and will be doing it to the rest of them. Also it adds some FOC. I should add I was using VAP arrows.

Ram cat has been great for me a some buddies. I saw 3 whitetails taken with shoulder bone shots and complete pass through. Also saw an elk taken breaking a rib a pass through. They were havoc on African game as well. Good head but I understand the worries. However, I have nothing confidence in the ram cat.

charvey9

WKR
Really like the Trocar. I used to shoot Montecs, and spent a lot of time keeping them sharp. Will happily pay a few bucks to replace the blades on my Trocar before next season. It goes unmentioned, but I also like the little plastic crush washer on the shank of the trocar, keeps them tight and makes it easy to index with fletching. I know indexing doesn't do anything to help with flight, but I tend to draw with my fingers spread and just like having the blades of my BH out of the way.