Deep Six Insert

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Brendan is correct, the inserts I have been using for the past 4 years are custom made and no longer available. They are stainless steel, not brass.
I am hoping that a little rumor I heard will come true and we might have what we want eventually....

I have 300 VAP Elites with HIT’s and even with 100gr and quick fletches I’m at 11% foc with a 28” arrow. I’m going to put a footer on the strengthen the front and and possibly add a little weight behind the insert. If I add 40gr to the front even with 100gr insert I will be getting 14.5% FOC, could get up over 15% with a 125gr head with a 465gr arrow. Not sure I need that high of FOC they currently fly awesome out past 80.

I’m building the same arrows, I just got a Easton platinum plus 1713 shaft from Lancaster and it fits perfectly over the VAP 300

I know you said no outserts but have you looked at the ethics archery system? It is a half out with a long post giving you adjustable weights with a nice sleeve that fits over the half out and extends past the front of the shaft adding extra strength and durability. I’m really liking the system so far. I shoot vap tko elite and use standard heads with that system and a 4mm arrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
I built the above talked about VAP’s two years ago and used Easton injexion Deep Six HIT inserts instead of the VAP outserts. The arrows are great but I wanted to have a little heavier arrow and really didn’t want to have to go to a big 125gr+ head since I already have a ton of 100gr heads.

I decided to go to ACE Hardware and look around for something heavy to put in the arrows to add weight. I though about building them with doubled up Easton inserts but that’s only 20gr and expensive. I ended up finding some 2” long 8-32 brass screws that fit the shaft with about .001 of clearance all the way around. These screws weighed about 70gr with the heads cut off. I ended up settling at 35gr worth which gave me 40gr by the time I epoxied them in, I used a dreamel tool and my powder scale to get them all exact.

I had to install the weight by removing the nock and putting them in from the rear, I needed something to shove them in so I went to the local hobby shop and found a 3’ stick of carbon tube that was .150”, this fit nicely inside of the rear of the shaft with very little clearance on the sides. The carbon shaft had a hole in the end I could stuff a Q-Tip. The reason this was important was to clean the insides of the shafts with isopropyl acohol so the epoxy sticks well.

After prepping the shafts I took the brass pieces and taped a 1/8”x 1” strip of masking tape around the very end like a seal. I made the seal so when I stood the arrow up on end with epoxy on it that the epoxy wouldn’t run into my insert. I then mixed up a two part medium cure epoxy and went to work. I rolled the brass in epoxy and inserted them in with the seal first in the nock end and pushed the brass all the way to the front with the carbon rod. I marked the rod so I knew they all went in the same distance. After each was inserted I made sure to clean the epoxy off after it was inserted and wipe the back of the arrow down so no residue was on the back. I also used an alcohol soaked Q-Tip to clean inside where the nock goes so there was no issues later.

After all the brass was epoxied in, I once again cleaned the entire length of the inside of the shaft with the soaked Q-Tip and rod to remove any epoxy residue. I then left the arrows standing on end overnight. Adding the weight took me from 405 to 445gr in each arrow and I ended up with 13.5% FOC with a 100gr point. I actually have large quickspins and quick fletched on the rear which are 35gr each, if i refletch with blazers I’d be over 15% with 100gr tips.

I’ve seen a ton of posts talking about not being able to build high FOC 4mm shafts and figures I’d share. This would work great on any of the Easton 4mm too, I could have used the entire screw and ended up with 90gr upfront, this would be even easier to do on a new build since you could just epoxy the brass in with your HITs.

I could use the .250 VAP arrows and add two pieces of brass behind the HIT and have a 22% FOC arrow at 485gr with a 100gr good flying head.

Hope this post is useful to someone.

C3865A5C-A663-4C36-AFCA-F5D00B7170C1.jpeg

5759F78D-6DB8-47DA-A9A3-5BB1C284F90D.jpeg

26B3BAF9-7A1F-44B3-B076-C0C6DFB16BC0.jpeg

20477DA8-673A-49E4-9B1C-A6B296744C48.jpeg

1B4C6506-7017-4C5B-91E1-CFCA0319BEC3.jpeg

9CBD868D-E11D-4234-B63D-25FB4A1BC5BA.jpeg

8DB2DF4E-C1AF-4EB8-824D-B76521DC79A1.jpeg

5B29C7BF-5128-4B05-AE2D-3650C973B63C.jpeg

4ED2B532-7F8A-442F-AC08-251992ED0B96.jpeg

I built the above talked about VAP’s two years ago and used Easton injexion Deep Six HIT inserts instead of the VAP outserts. The arrows are great but I wanted to have a little heavier arrow and really didn’t want to have to go to a big 125gr+ head since I already have a ton of 100gr heads.

I decided to go to ACE Hardware and look around for something heavy to put in the arrows to add weight. I though about building them with doubled up Easton inserts but that’s only 20gr and expensive. I ended up finding some 2” long 8-32 brass screws that fit the shaft with about .001 of clearance all the way around. These screws weighed about 70gr with the heads cut off. I ended up settling at 35gr worth which gave me 40gr by the time I epoxied them in, I used a dreamel tool and my powder scale to get them all exact.

I had to install the weight by removing the nock and putting them in from the rear, I needed something to shove them in so I went to the local hobby shop and found a 3’ stick of carbon tube that was .150”, this fit nicely inside of the rear of the shaft with very little clearance on the sides. The carbon shaft had a hole in the end I could stuff a Q-Tip. The reason this was important was to clean the insides of the shafts with isopropyl acohol so the epoxy sticks well.

After prepping the shafts I took the brass pieces and taped a 1/8”x 1” strip of masking tape around the very end like a seal. I made the seal so when I stood the arrow up on end with epoxy on it that the epoxy wouldn’t run into my insert. I then mixed up a two part medium cure epoxy and went to work. I rolled the brass in epoxy and inserted them in with the seal first in the nock end and pushed the brass all the way to the front with the carbon rod. I marked the rod so I knew they all went in the same distance. After each was inserted I made sure to clean the epoxy off after it was inserted and wipe the back of the arrow down so no residue was on the back. I also used an alcohol soaked Q-Tip to clean inside where the nock goes so there was no issues later.

After all the brass was epoxied in, I once again cleaned the entire length of the inside of the shaft with the soaked Q-Tip and rod to remove any epoxy residue. I then left the arrows standing on end overnight. Adding the weight took me from 405 to 445gr in each arrow and I ended up with 13.5% FOC with a 100gr point. I actually have large quickspins and quick fletched on the rear which are 35gr each, if i refletch with blazers I’d be over 15% with 100gr tips.

I’ve seen a ton of posts talking about not being able to build high FOC 4mm shafts and figures I’d share. This would work great on any of the Easton 4mm too, I could have used the entire screw and ended up with 90gr upfront, this would be even easier to do on a new build since you could just epoxy the brass in with your HITs.

I could use the .250 VAP arrows and add two pieces of brass behind the HIT and have a 22% FOC arrow at 485gr with a 100gr good flying head.

Hope this post is useful to someone.

View attachment 87955

View attachment 87956

View attachment 87957

View attachment 87958

View attachment 87959

View attachment 87960

View attachment 87961

View attachment 87962

View attachment 87963

Brass is the way to go I have a bunch of stainless 8/32 set screws but 1/2 inch is like 12.5 grains. On my 300’s I’m going to run 65 grains up front including footer and 100/125 grain heads with 100 I’m at 452, I have some 250’s on the way I want to put 100 grains up front and run 100/125 heads, I think I’ll try those brass screws for them. Thanks for the info

PredatorX

WKR
Has anyone setup with the iron will collars on a D6 yet?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk