Deep Six vs Outsert

I am currently trying to decide what Arrow to use for the upcoming hunting season. I have some left over black eagle rampages and carbon injexions from last year. My question is would you rather go the Deep Six route or the Half in/outsert route. I have to buy new broadheads so that isn't a concern of mine. I know some people don't like the deep Six because of limited broadhead options and I know some people have had issues with outserts. Last year I lost at least 7 of the outserts in targets which was frustrating and became expensive constantly having to buy new inserts.

The carbon injexion would be 445-450 grain Arrow with double deep Six inserts coming out to 12-13% FOC.

The black eagle rampages would be 460-465 grain arrows with about 16% FOC.

Both options spine out in the "Good" rating on OnTarget archery software.

Which would you prefer and why? Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
I would prefer the Deep Six. I tried the half outs for a year and never found one that would stay straight. I used cool melt to put them in and had no retention issues. They all bend. VPA makes one that was supposed to be good and more durable. I contacted them and depending on the arrow were special order and may or may not be available. They were also $$.

OP
Niceandkozy8
Thanks for your input I had some archery shop close by due the install and maybe they weren't doing a great job causing the retention issues. I honestly never did any testing to see if they outserts were bent but I probably should check. Do you have any experience with the D6 system? Have a favorite broadhead?

jmez

WKR
I never used the D6 because of broadhead selection. I shoot 125gr heads and when I was using the skinny arrows there was a very limited supply of 125gr heads available. The other problem was no one stocked 125gr field points locally so was going to have to order them and didn't want to have to pay attention to how many FP's I had on hand at all times.

I've been using regular HIT's in FMJ arrows since they came out and they work fine. They will mushroom the ends of the the aluminum over time but I just consider it normal wear and tear on arrows.

I think there is a pretty good selection of BH's available now. Slick Trick and Exodus are both good heads and come in D6.

You can put the deep six rps insert in the rampage 0.204" ID arrows and it works like a traditional insert with deep six heads

OP
Niceandkozy8
Thanks for the replies. Slick tricks and exodus seem to be popular fixed blades and solid options. I'll set up both options and shoot them to see if one stands out more then another. I want my arrow around 450 grains and at about 280 fps which both builds are close. If the BE stand out above the injexions then maybe I'll look into alternative insert options i continue to have trouble with the outserts.

I haven't had any issues with loosing black eagle or victory 0.204" ID half outserts. I use gorilla impact tough glue with the blue lid.

OP
Niceandkozy8
A buddy also has some untouched 5mm FMJs he would be willing to sell me. The FMJ looks good but in order to get a decent FOC my overall Arrow weight would be in the 480-500 grain range. This will hit hard but would drop my arrow speed anywhere from 10-20 fps (according to online calculators). In your opinion does the loss of speed (dropping between 260-270 from 280) be a concern? Or would the extra punch that arrow provides out weigh the drop in trajectory and speed?

Beendare

WKR
.....I honestly never did any testing to see if they outserts were bent but I probably should check.....
UGH, yes...you should. My guess is you won't be happy with what you find....

I shot those things for almost 10 years when I was sponsored by Beman...and tho the skinny shafts were awesome the outsert makes the whole system poor for hunting.... target shooting with glue in points they are fantastic.

The outsert system is Weaker and More difficult to get perfectly straight- among other things but those are the 2 biggies

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
UGH, yes...you should. My guess is you won't be happy with what you find....

I shot those things for almost 10 years when I was sponsored by Beman...and tho the skinny shafts were awesome the outsert makes the whole system poor for hunting.... target shooting with glue in points they are fantastic.

The outsert system is Weaker and More difficult to get perfectly straight- among other things but those are the 2 biggies

Interesting! Yes years back they had a lot of issues and some still do like the Black Eagle insert but there are a few solid half outserts that don't bend easily these days. I have shot the 95g. Victory Shok inserts for the last 2 years (year round) and before that shoot the Firenock half out before that with very few bent half outs. The hits that did bend those half outs most likely would have killed a H.I.T. inserted arrow as well. Most guys around here are shooting half outs and micro's these days. YMMV.

OP
Niceandkozy8
When your checking for bent outserts are you able to tell visually or doing a spin test looking for wobble or something else? I'm relatively new to archery and have never looked into this before.