Do calls work?

• Yes

• Yes, but only during the rut

• No

• No and they actually spook the deer

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
Lou (Louis)
Blacktail calls work very well, sometimes far TOO well. It's what we used for the 12 years I lived on Kodiak, and I use them in S.W. Washington as well.
However, just know that a few doe bleats, followed by a 5 minute set of fawn in distress, will call every bear, and cougar that hears it as well. No big deal here in S.W. Washington...it can create a BIG (and brown) situation just about everywhere on Kodiak. I know that for a FACT!
Just to be clear: you are saying that you can call a buck in with one?
Also, which brand did/do you use?

Yep, you can call in a buck with one, especially during the rut. I use a couple different turkey diaphrams, an old Weems closed reed Cottontail rabbit call, and the one that actually works the best is an open reed "fawn in distress" bear call that I bought from "Bearman Rick" (R&R game calls). I think it works so well, because it calls in the doe, and the buck just follows.

SeaRun1

FNG
I brought a buck in the very first time I tried rattling. Saw him cruising by and halted him with rattling. Two minutes later he was underneath my tree stand. I have had zero success since. Last two years I have been using a Artemis doe bleed call and have not brought anything in to my knowledge.

Frustrating returns for me but also realize my skill level might be a big factor with calls.

SR1