Deer heart

Killed a ton of deer but this is my first heart.Got to clean it up .
Im ready!

Attachments

• 6009EE39-3C1F-4C8E-BC8B-CF7AAAE49486.jpeg
    6009EE39-3C1F-4C8E-BC8B-CF7AAAE49486.jpeg
    304.1 KB · Views: 56

Rob5589

WKR
Nice, love the heart. Trim all that white funk as well as the valves (stringy things inside). I usually do strips, dredged in seasoned cornstarch, and fried hot and fast.

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
I love the heart. So many just leave it. My preferred way is to dice it up into little cubes and do a quick sauté in garlic butter. You will save them all from here on out.

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
I just cooked one Sunday. I love it in tacos. I used a lime cilantro marinade and cooked it fast leaving it med-rare. Corn tortillas and whatever fixing you like...great

Grumman

WKR
My family now loves deer heart tacos with grilled onions. I didn’t know what I was missing all those years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
deer heart is awesome!!! I get the heart from all my friends deer as well, most won't eat it. Pan fry in butter in a cast iron skillet. Onions, mushrooms, some teriyaki and serve over a baked potato!

OP
C
Made it last night,it turned out awesome.Problem is my wife loved it to so now i have to share.

Yakoun

FNG
Tacos sounds like an awesome way to do it up. I haven't been man enough to try it yet on the very few I've shot. Partly because I had no idea what to do with it. What is the consistency like? Is it like liver or just like any other muscle meat?

Superdoo

WKR
Tacos sounds like an awesome way to do it up. I haven't been man enough to try it yet on the very few I've shot. Partly because I had no idea what to do with it. What is the consistency like? Is it like liver or just like any other muscle meat?
I liken it to "No Name" Steaks, but softer in the mouth. The first time I ever tried it I used the MeatEater recipe. I was hooked.

Fordguy

WKR
I usually make venison heart sandwiches. As others have mentioned, trim all fat and valve material. Then I'll separate it into 3 or 4 sections and sear in a cast iron pan until nicely browned on all surfaces. After that, it goes into the slow cooker with some beef stock, add some garlic, sliced onions, a little thyme and a bay leaf or two. Deglaze the cast iron pan with 1/4 cup of red wine and add that to the slow cooker. Cook until tender, salt and pepper to taste, (i usually cook it down until theres not much liquid left) dress the bread with mayo and a good mild cheese, mozzarella or provalone, top with the heart and onions and enjoy. I cook 2 or 3 hearts at a time this way, but it works just as well for 1. You just get fewer sanwiches. Oh- find and remove the bay leaves before eating.

Deer heart is delicious. It almost never makes it home because it always gets eaten first in camp on the evening on the same day. Grilled over the fire with a little paleo powder or give it a quick roll in fish batter if we happen to have some on hand, and fried in a cast iron skillet. Can't go wrong either way.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I try to explain to people that haven't tried it that it's like a fine grained meat with a hint of rubbery texture. Most people that I have gotten to try it take one bite and ask for more.

sndmn11

WKR
We served muley heart alongside moose steaks, phorn roast, bear queso, and phorn steaks. A lot of people liked the heart the most including myself.

Aaronpaul14

Lil-Rokslider
Took a doe this morning during our late antlerless season.. deer heart tacos in the next few days!

We do the strips and flour them and fry them fast and hot as well. Can't go wrong with any of the above recipes.