Deer hunt Colorado

7mmshadow

FNG
Does anyone know what units are good to get a trophy buck in Colorado. I have 15 preference points and wanted to start putting in.

You have been collecting points with no unit in mind for 15 years? What is your expectations for this hunt?

Thanks to the new season structure 2020 and 2021 are going to be the years for big bucks killed in 3rd and 4th rifle seasons.

CCH

WKR
I don't have any specific recommendations for you. I'm in a similar position with more points, and have had trouble narrowing things down -- still am for that matter. I can tell you that some units that are hard to draw do not offer the potential that they used to. Other units pose some real challenges when it comes to weather versus rut and whether those trophy bucks are still available on public land when your tag is good. There's more, but that should give you an inkling as to why the "what area?" question gets pretty complicated. Just because it takes a lot of points to draw a tag, it doesn't mean it will be your best opportunity for a big buck. My buddy has a GoHunt subscription and it does seem like a good starting place for research according to his experience.

I strongly suggest targeting a unit you can get to for scouting relatively easily. While you may not get out while the deer are going to be when you'll be hunting, at least you'll have some real familiarity with the country. Parker puts you in weekend trip destination of quite a few good areas. I "overspent" my elk points to hunt an area near home last fall and it worked out great, although ironically an early snowstorm erased most of my scouting, and what should have been bugling in the forest turned into spot and stalk in the sagebrush. That darn weather.

Since you're in Parker (I'm assuming that's Parker, Colorado) you might look east. Some of the biggest bucks, mule deer and whitetail, in Colorado are on the plains. While public land opportunities are less common, they are there if you do your homework. There are still private land opportunities that come from knocking on doors, although not as much as back in the day.

And yes, you will get passive aggressive responses. Some may skip the passive part.

What weapon type and early/late season? I wouldn't necessarily jump on the unit/season that maximizes your points to draw, but rather one that maximizes what you want to get out of your hunt (even if you "waste" some points). You'll have plenty of good options. And IrkedC is right.... nows the time to use them

Reactions: CCH

Chad E

WKR
If you haven't done any research to this point I think I would probably skip Gohunt and go straight to a service like Epic Outdoors or Hunt n fool. But first things first you need to really think about what your looking to get out of your points. Figure out what your expectations are before you start planning units.

Jimss

WKR
There are a lot of different options. What type of country do you enjoy hunting and what season? There are eastern plains, sage-rimrock, and high alpine options. Also weapon of choice? Early high country, archery, muzzy, or 3 different rifle seasons? Once you answer these questions you can narrow down your choices. Are there any units that you have experience with and are there any close to home so you can scout more often?

I have a friend with a similar situation. He has something like 15 points for antelope, deer, moose, sheep, whatever. But no idea where or when to go.

I find myself wondering how a person invests in acquiring them for that long but never formulates any sort of plan?

Any amount of research should narrow it down fairly quickly.

Then, questions about access, weather, and generalities might yield more productive responses.

good luck with the search.

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
I find myself in just about the same position with points as a resident (16). I don't have a plan either. I am primarily an elk hunter (archery) and have always put in for a point for "someday". I hunt deer every few years on leftover/2nd choice tags (rifle). I would love to figure out a unit that would provide great opportunity ( high buck #s with low hunter #s) with the chance to kill a good 4x4. I don't hunt deer on a regular basis and therefore do not keep up with which units are the best. People get to critical of those that gain points but don't have a plan. I don't know 7mm personally but would assume that he hasn't been focused on deer for the past 15 years.