Deer hunting issues in Vermont

OP
Vermont Hunter 34
Is Vermont know for other types of Big game like moose or bear?
There’s a pretty good turkey population, bear populations are on the rise but it’s hard to hunt telegram because we cannot use bait. Moose hunting is definitely not great, I might see one per year. there is a moose lottery that happens

Rich M

WKR
Good evening everyone
So I live in the third worst state for deer hunting (you guessed it, Vermont!), and I don’t know if anyone else who lives in VT has noticed a downtrend in the population or sign of deer in Vermont. I’m in WMU o which usually has a pretty good density in terms of Vermont hunting. I think the feed is pretty spread out this year as well, and I really don’t know how to hunt conditions like that effectively. I found a ridge with some scattered fruiting bitternut hickories and some fruiting red oaks, I don’t know if the deer really enjoy the nuts from the hickories because they are really bitter. Anyways, any tips on how to find a consistent spot would be very appreciated as I don’t usually like to go into a winter without meat in the freezer.
Thanks again

I first hunted VT in 1978 - missed a 4 pt with bow. 8 yr old kid slinging arrows at a young buck who just wouldn't leave and kept dodging those arrows. Then in 1985 folks bought land up there - hunted VT for another 12 or so years. Shot 2 deer. We'd go hunt the entire rifle season every year.

To pressure yourself to kill every year is putting a lot of stress on yourself. Try not to do that. I did it for years, now I see more deer and have more fun hunting.

Check out Hunting Beast and see if they can't help you figure some things out - just read, it's all on there. VT, NH, ME are all pretty tough hunts. BTDT. But when you stumble into one, it's usually a nice buck.

OP
Vermont Hunter 34
I first hunted VT in 1978 - missed a 4 pt with bow. 8 yr old kid slinging arrows at a young buck who just wouldn't leave and kept dodging those arrows. Then in 1985 folks bought land up there - hunted VT for another 12 or so years. Shot 2 deer. We'd go hunt the entire rifle season every year.

To pressure yourself to kill every year is putting a lot of stress on yourself. Try not to do that. I did it for years, now I see more deer and have more fun hunting.

Check out Hunting Beast and see if they can't help you figure some things out - just read, it's all on there. VT, NH, ME are all pretty tough hunts. BTDT. But when you stumble into one, it's usually a nice buck.
Okay. Thanks. What part of Vermont?

Vermont is near the top for list for worst state for deer hunting. Doesn’t help that lots of Mass holes come up to hunt. I lived in the Upper Valley for a bit and we killed more deer by accident with our trucks than any weapon. Lower NEK was ok as was parts of Orange Co. This was 30 years ago. We would find the old apple orchards or productive farm land and make friends with the old timers. Lots of dink bucks on the meat poles. I remember my brother once had the biggest recorded buck at 112 lbs. at the local town general store registration list. 😂

OP
Vermont Hunter 34
Vermont is near the top for list for worst state for deer hunting. Doesn’t help that lots of Mass holes come up to hunt. I lived in the Upper Valley for a bit and we killed more deer by accident with our trucks than any weapon. Lower NEK was ok as was parts of Orange Co. This was 30 years ago. We would find the old apple orchards or productive farm land and make friends with the old timers. Lots of dink bucks on the meat poles. I remember my brother once had the biggest recorded buck at 112 lbs. at the local town general store registration list. 😂
😂 no luck opening day of rifle, except I did kill a coyote that chased a deer away. I thought it winded me or something, but then a few minutes later a couple of coyotes showed up. And peta says they only eat field mice.😒 Anyways I got real lucky with a 190 pound 10 two years ago. It’s the one in my profile pic. Might not be a shooter in the Midwest, but he was certainly not one to pass up around here.

Macintosh

WKR
Just stumbled on this post. How did you end up doing?
I live on the border of units B and G, so a ways away from you, but every once in a while I hunt K and the area just south of there in NY, and freuently hunt northern NY and the adirondacks where I grew up. I'm reasonably well acquainted with the management changes in Vt, and there have been some, although I can't say what's happened in your area. I know there was a relatively significant EHD outbreak in K and neighboring NY this past year that resulted in a noticeable decline in numbers of deer I saw when hunting there, no idea if that's happened on the eastern part of the state though. Overall, the recent changes to the deer management happened recently enough that they shouldn't be the cause of what you experienced last year I think.

You can find really good info on what the population objectives are for your WMU as well as harvest numbers on the fish and wildlife website, that can help shed light on changes you see.
The management plan shows population objectives versus what the dept believes the average actual population has been by WMU: https://vtfishandwildlife.com/sites...PLAN-2020/BGP-Chapter-2-White-tailed-Deer.pdf
The harvest report shows actual harvest numbers by WMU so you can see if your experiences are in-line with the area or not: https://vtfishandwildlife.com/sites...eer/2021-white-tailed-deer-harvest-report.pdf

(and a 190lb WT deer is a shooter EVERYWHERE I've ever hunted)

Last edited: