Deer Hunting Jacket for Illinois

sneaky

"DADDY"
IWOM I think would be awesome for cold weather hunts and would be much cheaper than any of these sets.

The first lite sanctuary is a lot more quiet, more comfortable and a better cut than the fanatic. Only advantage to the fanatic is the wind blocker but I think a wind shirt under the sanctuary would be nice and keep you feeling nice and warm in the wind.

The stratus and the fanatic are both ‘noisy’ IMO for whitetail gear where the FL gear is quieter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Noisy? What the hell? The Stratus and Fanatic are silent. The Sitka gear will outlast the FL 10 to 1. Been burned too many times with FL issues. Never again.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Pack in a down puffy. I know it is loud but layer it between quiet materials and you will stay toasty. Also use foam seat cushions under your feet and butt.

Sammymusi

WKR
I vote Woodbury as well i hunted Illinois in 2018 . Weather down into the teens the Woodbury did me right.

I have spent over 40 years hunting deer from September to the end of January each year.

From October till last day of january I spend more time in the tree than most resident squirrels.

If you want to stay warm ditch the high end active hunt gear.

Cabelas berber or wool are what I wear, and yes I own the sitka kuiu and first lite gear. I prefer first lite merino for next to skin. Next I wear a light fleece or puffy layer. Next layer is berber hoody and wool pants.

If it's really cold I add a vest, heavy hat and gloves. Hand warmers and toes warmers are your friend here. I prefer liner gloves and a hand muff with a chemical hand warmer. For boots I wear muck or lacrosse rubber and add arctic shield boot warmers when on stand. You have to put them on immediately before your feet get cold. They work.

Heavy bibs are my favorite ultra cold weather gear. I carry them to and from stand. I run the cabelas berber extreme bibs. They are no longer made but come up on here and ebay quite frequently.

I have spent multiple days in a row from before daylight till dark sitting on a steel treestand where the temperature never reached above 0 degrees. Sometimes it feels more like survival than hunting but I would not have it any other way.

Last edited: