Deer lures

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
What is your favorite lure and how successful have they worked for you.

I have never had much luck with anything other than mock scrapes
fc5b0ca562c49aea8009b7f1a4379d2b.jpg
2a9eef59362a6979277e3596036961de.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

JGTWI

WKR
Classified Approved
I have seen the most results from mock scrapes as well, by a long shot.

I have had a few nice bucks come in to a scent wick with code blue doe estrous on it, so I use that every year now.

OP
boonez40

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
I have seen the most results from mock scrapes as well, by a long shot.

I have had a few nice bucks come in to a scent wick with code blue doe estrous on it, so I use that every year now.
I left a camera on a scrape I made for one year. Well actually I left 2 cameras on 2 different scrapes but the one camera was stolen.

The least active and smaller scrape had 3600 pics after one year. Everything from bears to yotes and foxes. Several big bucks.

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve tried a few but seems that they mainly do t work. I hunt a lot of public land and they have been hit already with the entire Walmart shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark1j

FNG
Best lure I have found is driving 65mph down the highway. They love that. Will come running at you.

Jokes aside, they are so thick in my area no attractants or feeders needed.

OP
boonez40

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
Best lure I have found is driving 65mph down the highway. They love that. Will come running at you.

Jokes aside, they are so thick in my area no attractants or feeders needed.
That there is funny and is the redneck way

Mosby

WKR
The best scent I found is from James Valley. I used it from Texas to Canada. Works well on scrapes and decoys.

OP
boonez40

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
The best scent I found is from James Valley. I used it from Texas to Canada. Works well on scrapes and decoys.
I might have to give them a shot again.
You ever use it in a mock scrape or a natural scrape ?

Mosby

WKR
I might have to give them a shot again.
You ever use it in a mock scrape or a natural scrape ?

Mostly mock near my stand but also in a natural scrape if I come across one.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
I've always just saved the rutty tarsal glands and hung them at deer leg level.

Rampaige

Lil-Rokslider
I've never had any luck with lures. I've tried them but if the deer can smell the lure, they generally can smell me as well.

OP
boonez40

boonez40

Lil-Rokslider
I've never had any luck with lures. I've tried them but if the deer can smell the lure, they generally can smell me as well.
I start all of my mock scrapes with my own pee. Only other thing I use is a licking branch spray.

Never had luck with anything really and I have tried many. The best thing I have found is an actual deer tarsal gland but those aren't very readily available 🙂

TheGDog

WKR
Lure? Beer spilled onto the ground.

Try it. Pour a case onto the ground at some spot. Setup a cam on it.

I took my boy out to younger bros property that borders a NF. Took him there for first target practice session with his first new .22 LR when he was 7yo.

Had a buncha beer cans leftover from guests bringing it over to a pool party we had. I like beer, but my body doesn't so I'm not much of a beer guy, so decided to bring it to use for reactionary targets. My boy loved it when he'd hit them and I'd exclaim that "It's peeing!". Made it super fun!

Next week I went back there for opener. Watched a Doe turn-in off the road leading there and walk down to his target gong area and sniff very intently all around where those beers spilled all over the ground. Was really curious and interested about that spot.

Voyageur

WKR
Smokey's makes an excellent lure to use on licking branches...whether over a scrape or as a stand alone licking branch.

jmillr1

WKR
What is your favorite lure and how successful have they worked for you.

I have never had much luck with anything other than mock scrapes
fc5b0ca562c49aea8009b7f1a4379d2b.jpg
2a9eef59362a6979277e3596036961de.jpg

In my limited experience I've had good luck with food odors... now that isn't legal everywhere but the other "estrus" odors just don't have the proven ability to lure what you are looking for in my opinion..

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
Lure? Beer spilled onto the ground.

Try it. Pour a case onto the ground at some spot. Setup a cam on it.

I took my boy out to younger bros property that borders a NF. Took him there for first target practice session with his first new .22 LR when he was 7yo.

Had a buncha beer cans leftover from guests bringing it over to a pool party we had. I like beer, but my body doesn't so I'm not much of a beer guy, so decided to bring it to use for reactionary targets. My boy loved it when he'd hit them and I'd exclaim that "It's peeing!". Made it super fun!

Next week I went back there for opener. Watched a Doe turn-in off the road leading there and walk down to his target gong area and sniff very intently all around where those beers spilled all over the ground. Was really curious and interested about that spot.

I’ve used beer that has been filtered through my kidneys first. Seems that it worked alright

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
Guys who aren’t having luck aren’t using them at opportune times.
Once the walk phase starts, you’ll see dead deer all over the road a drag can be deadly. They’d be looking for the scent. I drag a very lightly soaked rag and they come right along often.
As a kid I had a bottle of Kirschners Silvertop. Stuff was amazing. I’d drag it through a bean field and watch for the bucks coming. Stuff sold me and started me along. I gave that almost empty bottle to a friend and bought another. Never worked.
Robbins XRated was good than not. James Valley I killed lots of deer off of but last couple years not as successful but truthfully we had some pretty big EHD outbreaks around here and the deer numbers are real low. I’ve used code blue successfully as well. Seems even among the same brand, type some bottles are better than others imo and it seems to change.
This is on private and public lands, the private lands are club property and not exclusive. I don’t feel it’s the overusage by anyone else. I also don’t wade into crazy busy lands unless I can somehow make distance.
If I was buying a bottle to use now I think James Valley might be it. I’ve used Wallhamger, Lethal Weapon and Full Draw both liquid or gel successfully. Wallhanger as a young man I had success with early as Sept. I no longer use any than. Hope this helps