Deer on kodiak in august

Hyak55171

FNG
Any tips or thoughts? Looking at taking 2 or 3 folks with me to hunt the high alpine areas, with the obvious goal of tagging out.

Looking for advice on if it's a feasible hunt, I plan to keep shots below 200yds if possible. Will the terrain allow that? Should I go later in the year? Does it matter either way?

ppwack02

Lil-Rokslider
I've done Goats in late August on Kodiak 3 different years. Between 3 people we have shot 6 deer high in the alpine during the goat hunts. All shots were under 200 yards.

Last year I had a Kodiak bear tag (October-November) and between the two of us on the hunt we got the bear, 6 deer and 3 foxes. Between Deer being more active due to the rut and the temp being cooler for meat care I won't ever go in August again. All shots were under 100 yards on this trip.

The bad thing about going later is it seems the weather always gets worse later in the year.

bowuntr

WKR
Whats your plan for keeping the meat cool in 60 degree temps. Might be colder, might be warmer.
Sink it in a lake or stream. This August we kept the meat in a lake for 9 days... no problem.

I've been twice in August... won't go again. In August the fog can stay for days and the vegitation is terrible... for whatever that's worth. Ed F

OXN939

WKR
Any opinion on mid September?

September can kinda be no man's land- summer is over and the weather has usually started to get worse, but the rut isn't happening yet. On the bright side, you might find silvers before or after a hunt.