deer scents/attractants?

evan711

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious what everybody uses? Im going to be treestand hunting this year and am going to set up a mock scrape with some type of spray for early season and doe estrus late season. Anyone use anything else to attract deer that works well? Store bought homemade? lets hear it.

I have tried almost everything and I can't say that any of it has worked (hard to verify of course). I did zip tie an actual tarsal gland to a buck decoy one season and had several bucks come in - that was pretty cool. Just happened to have my hunting buddy shoot a buck a few days earlier and used the tarsal gland from it. I have not had much luck with commercial scents in 15 years of trying...

LostArra

WKR
A few years back vanilla was a popular "attractant" and I tried it in an area that had a good number of deer. It did a reasonable job of "attracting" 1 1/2 year old deer, both forky bucks and does. I think it was more curiosity than attractant. No mature deer got near it and some wise old does made a wide path around it.

Otherwise I don't use scents. My buddy had some Tink's stuff that was potent but ineffective and I was always afraid the lid would come off in the truck.

Only scents I use are the Hunter Specialities cover scent wafers, only as a cover scent though. I prefer the fresh earth scent. I like it so much I will leave one in the truck.

I've never had success with estrus, urine, etc for attracting deer. Pretty sure some doe estrus freaked out some deer one year. They bolted as soon as they caught wind of it.

Hard to say for sure...but I've had some luck with this kit:
1656778780840.png

Like I said, I don't know for sure this helped....but I can say it didn't scare the deer away! ...and the buck came in following the scent trail I laid down right to the scrape.

Set up a mock scrape where it will become a real scrape with real scent. No scent needed.

Trails End#307, Ive seen it work wonders and I've seen deer ignore it. Never had one spook from it. I've probably bow killed 6 or 7 mature does touching their nose to the scent wick. I've also killed a couple nice bucks working a scrape treated with it. I've tried all the others with minimal results.

dtrkyman

WKR
Never had any luck with it, I bowhunt and guide whitetail a lot!!!

Used to hunt next to a preserve, no hunting, full of giant bucks, made scent trails through that place many times tryin to lure bucks out of a funnel 200 yards past the property I could hunt, did this many times and even had trails over a mile long a few times.

Literally had zero bucks follow any of the trails, was crazy, thought for sure I would pull a few out of there. tried many scents including a local guy who froze fresh estrous to preserve it, no good!

Most effective thing I have used is stealing active licking branches and making mock scrapes with them, either a "decoy" tree or attach it to a limb close to a stand. Even attach them to fence posts.

BIG_KUMAR

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried a handful of scents over the years, and none of them have ever made a noticeable difference. There have been times that deer have ignored them and there have been times where it seemed like they were actively avoiding it.

There are more productive ways to spend your time and money.

Just listened to a podcast and they had Troy Kailbourne on from Buck Fever products. Sounds like the brand has been around for a long time and old timers swear by it.

Hands down: buck fever synthetics. Never believed in scents after trying them a couple times. Then I heard a couple podcasts with Troy pottenger. Since I picked up a recurve I wanted another advantage to get the deer close so I gave it a try. Wow, they work amazing when used correctly. Specifically the forehead gland.

Getting the deer to overtake it is always the goal. And that always happens if you make the scrape right and put it where it should be. I like adding the scent to help jump start it. And get the bucks to visit it more if I plan to hunt it.

BryGuy

FNG
I know I’m late on this one but last year I made mock scrapes and pee in them myself, shot two mature bucks checking the scrapes, and saw two other mature guys coming in to check. Cheapest attractant out here and the only one that I’ve ever seen “work” (stand placement, weather, etc also have influence on success)