Deer Slam?

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at all the slams that are out there it looks like the deer slam could be the most attainable for me. Just kinda curious to see how many have either done the slam or are close to finishing it. I do have one flaw, when it comes to tree stands I have an absolute panic attack. I’ve taken Coues deer and mule deer, looking at trying to complete the rest within the next few years. Thanks for sharing any info you can or insight!!!

OP
Daniel Bybee

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
That’s how I view is- Coues deer, mule deer, eastern whitetail, Columbia black tail and Sitka black tail

EastMT

WKR
The WT and Sitka should be attainable without a tree stand for a feasible budget in Montana or Wyoming, NE Wa, POW Island for Sitka. I haven’t tried Columbia so I can’t say on them. This is an idea I have been toying with. Coues would be the toughest logistically for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmahoney

WKR
You could also call it the blue collar slam. I don’t ever see myself getting a sheep slam, don’t think I’ll pay for an outfitted sheep hunt in my lifetime. I have 3 of those 5 deer species though.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That’s how I view is- Coues deer, mule deer, eastern whitetail, Columbia black tail and Sitka black tail

Heck I’d just need an eastern white tail and a Columbia blacktail to be done with that one. Me and my dad did the turkey slam about 10 years ago, that was fun.

I just need the Sitka blacktail and the couse deer. Hoping to scratch off the Sitka this fall

I’ve never given the whole deer slam idea any thought but I guess a mule and couse would do it for me. I’m also guessing that it probably won’t ever happen.

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
It’s on my radar to with a bow, but I only have a WT and Coues currently, and other hunts have my time limited to get back after one of the other 3 for a few years.....so we’ll see.

Oregon

WKR
I’m lacking a Coues deer. I will do a hunt for them soon. I’m thinking it will be one and only guided hunt ever. Not that I’m against guided hunts, I’m just a giant cheapskate and the thought of spending thousands of dollars is a hard pill to swollow.
Sonora 2022 is my thought.

BuzzH

WKR
I've got 4 of the 5...missing a Columbia blacktail.

Three times I've shot 3 of the 5 species in one hunting season.

EastMT

WKR
I keep thinking I’ll use some vacation in Arizona for a winter hunt, but end up burning it all here in August and September.

OP
Daniel Bybee

Daniel Bybee

Lil-Rokslider
The hunts down here in Az are a blast!!! I think the hardest logistically for me is gonna be the sitka blacktail. I have no problem on spot and stalk, it sounds stupid but my main worry wasn’t dealing with bears on the islands it was dealing with the tree stands for whitetails haha.

EastMT

WKR
You can hunt the river bottoms of eastern Montana and Wyoming, OnX map for public land, the WT are most often in the creek and river bottoms. I’ve never used a stand there, I’m not very graceful haha.

I completed an archery deer slam back in 1991. I'm one Sitka Blacktail away from a second. We have Sitka Blacktails on Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands) here in BC..got the first one on Kodiak. Hope to get up to HG one of these years and arrow one more. Seasons and bag limits are liberal but it's a 15 hour drive from home and 7 hour $500 ferry ride to get over there. The best times to chase bucks (with developed antlers) clashes with too many other seasons too.

Fitzwho

WKR
I need both Blacktails. They are on the list, but are both a bit out of the way of my ordinary hunts. Few other big trips this year and next have me putting off the first of either of those to likely 2021.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
The hunts down here in Az are a blast!!! I think the hardest logistically for me is gonna be the sitka blacktail. I have no problem on spot and stalk, it sounds stupid but my main worry wasn’t dealing with bears on the islands it was dealing with the tree stands for whitetails haha.
I've been hunting more on the ground recently than in a stand. I think its more fun. But I also hunt primarily public so I'd be setting up/taking down a stand every time which can be loud if you're clumsy like me

ODB

WKR
The Symbolic Interactionist in me is trying to figure out the value of a “slam” within the hunting public...discuss...

EastMT

WKR
The Symbolic Interactionist in me is trying to figure out the value of a “slam” within the hunting public...discuss...

A lot of it just has to do with learning and hunting new animals. I don’t like chasing the same animal, in the same spot, with the same hide, same tactics, etc etc. One of each species is just another personal goal, like someone wanting a 200” deer or whatever you like. I have no idea if the is a club like B&C or not and don’t care, I wouldn’t register and animal anyway, I have bears that would make it.

The only thing I like to repeat over and over is bears, 3 per year is my limit and that’s what I shoot for.