Defacing the aesthetics of a fine rifle?

I’m seriously considering purchasing a Cooper M54 Excalibur. For me it’d be a rare “giving myself something really nice”. The basics of this rifle are synthetic stock & fluted, non-threaded, black Cerakote barrel. It’s a fine rifle with a very nice appearance, but I think that I would like to have a threaded barrel too. Cooper says they can thread this model. Availability is slim to none currently, but that’s ok because I’m willing to wait.

OK, so the one thing I’m pondering now is how bad will adding the QD mount for the suppressor that I have make an aesthetically nice rifle look? It’s is basically defacing and uglifying to do this? Is there a little bit of admiration & respect due for keeping it as is? I’ll admit to over thinking a small detail & it’s not a deal breaker. It’s kind of a form vs function question. Y’all have a Merry Christmas!

ChrisAU

WKR
Just direct thread the suppressor. Will help keep weight and overall length down too. I find direct threading to only be a few seconds more work than the QD setup with my SilencerCo Omega.

OP
Go West Old Man
Just direct thread the suppressor. Will help keep weight and overall length down too. I find direct threading to only be a few seconds more work than the QD setup with my SilencerCo Omega.
Agree, but I think I’m limited to using the QD keymount. It’s a great setup but it’d be a mostly leave it on the barrel situation because it uses shims to index it into proper position. Butt ugly probably, and may be that I forego the suppressor for a Cooper.

Once you start shooting suppressed, you generally only shoot suppressed anymore. I don't find guys who own suppressors shooting lots of unsuppressed weapons, meaning your Cooper will generally only be shot with the suppressor on it. I like the way rifles look with the can attached personally, and I think a lot of us who shoot suppressed a lot like that look. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Agree, but I think I’m limited to using the QD keymount. It’s a great setup but it’d be a mostly leave it on the barrel situation because it uses shims to index it into proper position. Butt ugly probably, and may be that I forego the suppressor for a Cooper.
What kind of suppressor? I know that SilencerCo makes direct thread mounts for most (maybe all) of the suppressors - you just swap it out after removing the QD mount.

As for the aesthetics, I've been and am still in a similarboat with my two M52 Cooper rifles. The first is an older M52 and the second is a Jackson Game. I debated for quite a while and ended up sending the "regular" M52 to Cooper and they threaded it. It does look different, as the thread cover sticks out a bit (I expect since the barrel wasn't designed for a flush fit). My change is permanent, and while I wondered whether a buyer might think twice about it, I still like the functionality. And I doubt I will ever sell any gun! I'm thinking I will do the same to the Jackson Game.

OP
Go West Old Man
What kind of suppressor? I know that SilencerCo makes direct thread mounts for most (maybe all) of the suppressors - you just swap it out after removing the QD mount.

As for the aesthetics, I've been and am still in a similarboat with my two M52 Cooper rifles. The first is an older M52 and the second is a Jackson Game. I debated for quite a while and ended up sending the "regular" M52 to Cooper and they threaded it. It does look different, as the thread cover sticks out a bit (I expect since the barrel wasn't designed for a flush fit). My change is permanent, and while I wondered whether a buyer might think twice about it, I still like the functionality. And I doubt I will ever sell any gun! I'm thinking I will do the same to the Jackson Game.
It’s a Dead Air Sandman. Makes shooting targets a lot of fun. Regarding your Jackson Game, that’s a really nice piece of craftsmanship. I held one just yesterday at a LGS and that AAA walnut stock was mighty nice. In your shoes, I’d have a tougher time thinking about altering that one but absolutely agree that it’s a personal preference.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
The "regular" is 25-06 (found it used for a good price on GB - wood stock). The Jackson Game is 30-06. I bought that one new a few years ago, but for a fraction of the cost of the current version listed on the Cooper site - which makes me think that it may not be AAA. In any event, I am still on the fence with that one! If they could tell me for sure it would be flush, I would probably do it. But I'm thinking they won't know unless I send it in.

What caliber are you getting in the M54? I really like that rifle, especially since now I "need" a high quality rifle with a synthetic stock. :cool:

OP
Go West Old Man
What caliber are you getting in the M54? I really like that rifle, especially since now I "need" a high quality rifle with a synthetic stock. :cool:
I want a .308. Yea ...... not warp speed, super duper magnum, latest hot caliber, waaay cool, etc but it sure would be practical. Only have found one Excalibur 308 available so far that is at an out of state dealer. I can wait. 😊

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I want a .308. Yea ...... not warp speed, super duper magnum, latest hot caliber, waaay cool, etc but it sure would be practical. Only have found one Excalibur 308 available so far that is at an out of state dealer. I can wait. 😊
I think I may have seen that 308 - on GunsInt'l? I came across a Cooper in 28 Nosler, but then thought about barrel life, etc. There's a lot to be said for calibers that have been around, that you can (or at least could) find easily, and that aren't louder than necessary. As the tinnitus in my ears is going on now, I also don't need anything louder.

OP
Go West Old Man
I think I may have seen that 308 - on GunsInt'l? I came across a Cooper in 28 Nosler, but then thought about barrel life, etc. There's a lot to be said for calibers that have been around, that you can (or at least could) find easily, and that aren't louder than necessary. As the tinnitus in my ears is going on now, I also don't need anything louder.
I’ll have to check out Guns Int. 👍 Yep, don’t need/want a big boomer for this one. Already got an old tried & trusty M77mkII 7 mag.