Defining Pack Weight

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Read This:

How to Cut your Backpack Hunting Weight

This article breaks down weight into the most important categories. I normally calculate weight four ways.

• Base Weight
  • Pack Weight without food or water
  • Total Pack Weight
  • Total Skin Out Weight

I have a spreadsheet from someone that does this, it initially tooks some time to load in all my gear options but after that it's pretty handy to play with combinations on hunts that it would be really nice to go as light as possible and reviewing "nice to have" items. Something I might consider taking when only brining 4lb of food might get ditched if 10lb of food...

Rob5589

WKR
Thanks for the comments. I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a descent back country tent. The one I threw in the pack tonight for the trial was a heavy 5 person tent with heavy poles. Total weight on the tent was almost 9 pounds. I'm looking at the Big Agnes Copper Spur, so that is some significant weight reduction right there. Also just cut my knife weight in half from 9 oz. down to 3.5.

Agree with only take what you need. I guess since it is my first time doing this (flat lander from Indiana), I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I need and don't need. I've never hiked up to 10k feet so that in and of itself is going to be quite the challenge, before even considering the added gear weight. Been working out to get into shape for quite some time. I lost 25 lbs. last year to get down to 183, so this trip even motivates me more to get stronger.

This forum helps a ton as I feel my way through the process.
A new tent will definitely help ;)
Your 3 heaviest pieces will be tent/shelter, sleeping bag/quilt, pad. And the most important, IMO anyway. Spend money saving weight there. It will make far more difference than 3.5 oz saved with a knife.

renagde

WKR
Thanks for the comments. I haven't pulled the trigger yet on a descent back country tent. The one I threw in the pack tonight for the trial was a heavy 5 person tent with heavy poles. Total weight on the tent was almost 9 pounds. I'm looking at the Big Agnes Copper Spur, so that is some significant weight reduction right there. Also just cut my knife weight in half from 9 oz. down to 3.5.

Agree with only take what you need. I guess since it is my first time doing this (flat lander from Indiana), I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I need and don't need. I've never hiked up to 10k feet so that in and of itself is going to be quite the challenge, before even considering the added gear weight. Been working out to get into shape for quite some time. I lost 25 lbs. last year to get down to 183, so this trip even motivates me more to get stronger.

This forum helps a ton as I feel my way through the process.

Watch for good deals in the classifieds and on ebay. I would say your sleep system is the most important and also where you can shave off alot of weight. My entire sleep system (tent, bag, sleeping pad, ground sheet, and stakes) weighs 4.33lbs. MSRP is north of $800 for all that but I bought it all for less than most people spend on a sleeping bag. You have plenty of time to be choosy, watch for good deals and buy once cry once.

OP
A

AHayes

FNG
You guys are awesome. Thanks so much for the comments. I do have a weekend outing planned to test run all of the gear. I have 63 acres with some decent hills and hollers, at least for West Central Indiana. My plan was to wear the pack while whitetail shed hunting in late February and cover at least 5 miles. Then set up camp and see what works, what doesn't, or what skills I am lacking. I may do another trip to a local state park at some point. Either way, I want to work out everything well before Sept.

Please keep your comments coming. I'm soaking this up like a sponge. I will probably post other questions in the future.