Defund the Police?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is crazy, I don't know where you guys live but here in New York they are talking about de-funding the NYPD. Not to mention the media and politicians have completely put everyone against them. NYC is like a war zone right now. These cops have their hands tied. They cant even do their jobs. What is going on with this world.

I support the police

Let them....

See what happens when the 1st domestic violence call comes in and women city council members have to answer to a wife getting beat up.

After all these jackwagons were elected, not forced upon em.... let the citizens reap what they sow.

I only have pity for the officers trying to navigate this mess.

Take this the right way, I'm not anti-law enforcement personnel, my dad worked law enforcement for 30 years and I still have good friends that do.
What makes the following possible:
Extortionate tax rates
Gun control
Violent enforcement of non-violent crimes
Ridiculous ordinances
Absurd regulations of all kinds

Politicians are physically incapable of enforcing any law. Someone puts all of this into practice. My freedom has never been threatened by an Islamic terrorist or Antifa moron, but it's threatened every day by every layer of government.
Personal security is a personal responsibility. The Supreme Court has ruled on multiple occasions that police have no legal duty to protect citizens or property; their only duty is to enforce the law. Maybe a massive downsize and de-militarization of police will go a long ways to kill bad laws...
That said, politicians know who enforces their so called power. They won't actually be letting go of it any time soon.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
That slogan is a gift to Republicans. I agree many of these morons have no idea what public safety officers actually do all day (who shows up when you get in a crash, who shows up if there domestic violence or child abuse). That said, if you are asking if I believe public safety budgets should be kept in check and we increase budgets for education, mental health resources, and dare I say affordable housing for transient transition programs, which studies show reduce crime and poverty thus mitigating the need for ever increasing public safety budgets, I would say I generally agree. Fiscally conservative people like myself need to start understanding and believing the studies that show upstream resources are more affordable than prison beds and emergency room visits.

JakeB2010

FNG
Seattle is the same way. Matter of fact, they have taken a small section of the city and barricaded themselves in with signs claiming 'Now Leaving USA'. Crazy times, I grab my popcorn nightly before I sit down and watch the news.

I think it’s hilarious in a sad way. When the “blue flu” happens I don’t think it’s just a coincidence that crime rates go up. I’m speaking out of the actual crimes Domestic battery and regular old boring battery, increase gang activity, drugs, all types violent crime. It could be real interesting to watch as long as it’s your not your city doing it. But if someone goes through with it best of luck to them.

robtattoo

WKR
I say go for it. Defund all police departments, nationwide.
A lot of folk will soon realize that the reason they don't get their faces caved in on the reg, is because people don't want to deal with the hassle of being arrested.
Six months & police funding will be doubled. Bet you a dollar.

Pbast81

FNG
Let me start by saying I support the blue 100% but let them go ahead and defund the police and when people start taking care of things on our own I bet you would see less crime. Obviously there’s always going to be bad people but if everyone carried and criminals knew it there would be less victims. Where I live the thieves are terrible because when they get caught they get a slap on the wrist and set free. Probably opening a can of worms but I’d bet they start refunding the police once they see what happens.

WCB

WKR
In what world does defund = eliminate?

Anything funded by public $ has bloat. The PD is no exception.

Unfortunately, when you actually get down to the demands they actually want to eliminate. The Minneapolis city council president stated it very clear even though their slogan is to "defund"

Poser

WKR
To be clear, the phrase “defund the police”, as misleading as it is, doesn’t mean “no police.” It’s used more of a means of overhauling an agency. Camden NJ is being used quite a bit as an example: https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/09/us/disband-police-camden-new-jersey-trnd/index.html

I’m not exactly sure where I stand on this, but at the end of the day, the police serve at the consent and will of the people. If contemporary policing is not what the people desire, then there is a path to change. While personally I have never really had a negative police experience -To the contrary, most interactions have been positive (including that time I elected to drive 3 blocks home from a friends house after drinking whiskey all night, had a firearm on me and was pulled over “full force” as a vehicle match on a drive by shooting and somehow talked my way out of going to jail, but I digress). Having lived in 2 large cities, I have observed many of the complaints of other people about policing being applied in ways that stand in stark contrast to my personal experiences. Also, I have known numerous people who have been completely screwed over by the police with bogus charges and heavy handed convictions, likewise, I acknowledge that considerable changes could potentially have positive outcomes for both the citizens and the police.

In that case, that is unquestionably foolish. The PD doesn't need brand new vehicles every other year and paramilitary equipment, but they CERTAINLY need to exist.

Unfortunately, when you actually get down to the demands they actually want to eliminate. The Minneapolis city council president stated it very clear even though their slogan is to "defund"

slick

WKR
Quizzical thought. The de-escalation training, non-lethal use of force trainings, and other trainings/education that help officers become better at their jobs all cost money, so do the cameras and other equipment to hold them accountable. These have been asked for by the people, but now those same people want them to not have those tools available. So then departments would have less money in their budget for said equipment and training, making them less effective/professional at their job?

Seems counter intuitive to me.

Edit: Clarity

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.