Defund the Police?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nyc disbanded their major crimes unit without much of a transition plan. 98 month to date shootings in NYC as of last night compared to 87 for all of June last year. Tracking for a 30% year over year increase. There are definitely problems in policing that need to be addressed but the change needs to be thoughtful and orderly.

talked to a Buddy from Honduras the other day that lived in the states for a while. Policing isn’t so much of a thing there. He said “if they get rid of police, you are going know what it feels like to live in a 3rd world country”. He lives in a walled compound with armed guards and sleeps with an Ak47 near his bed.

The idea that we're "Getting rid of police" in the U.S. is just nonsense that is being used as political fodder. It's another example of extremists of each party that take something from the opposition's platform, blow it completely out of proportion, stir in some lies, and use it to strike fear in the people they are trying to influence. I can't believe anyone with a brain is even taking the "getting rid of police" comments seriously.

There are problems in the profession of policing that do need to be addressed, but as you say, in a thoughtful and orderly way. That is already happening but that's not what you'll hear from either extreme.

Until the majority of people learn to quit listening to the extremists on either end, we are never going to make the kind of progress we need to make.

LaHunter

WKR
The idea that we're "Getting rid of police" in the U.S. is just nonsense that is being used as political fodder. It's another example of extremists of each party that take something from the opposition's platform, blow it completely out of proportion, stir in some lies, and use it to strike fear in the people they are trying to influence. I can't believe anyone with a brain is even taking the "getting rid of police" comments seriously.

There are problems in the profession of policing that do need to be addressed, but as you say, in a thoughtful and orderly way. That is already happening but that's not what you'll hear from either extreme.

Until the majority of people learn to quit listening to the extremists on either end, we are never going to make the kind of progress we need to make.
You keep posting this. I think you have half the posts in this thread, most repeating yourself. It seems like the jackasses destroying private and tax payer owned property along with most of the protests have as their slogan ‘Defund The Police’. Maybe ‘defund’ means something different to some people

You keep posting this. I think you have half the posts in this thread, most repeating yourself. It seems like the jackasses destroying private and tax payer owned property along with most of the protests have as their slogan ‘Defund The Police’. Maybe ‘defund’ means something different to some people
Yea, sure. I have half the posts in a 26-page thread. :rolleyes:

I love it when people try to silence or discredit others by pointing out the number of posts they have made rather than offering a substantive argument of their own.

I just explained the reason behind your comment in my post above. Can't lay it out any easier for you.

NY16ga

FNG
So many on this thread seem to be concerned about the wellbeing of the American general public so I'm wondering if you could point me to the thread on this forum with all of your passionate comments about the widespread defunding of education and community services. I can't seem to find that conversation when I search. If you're legitimately concerned about people and communities, I can only assume you feel as passionately about funding education and other services that support communities and not just punishment and free license for violence against them.

So many on this thread seem to be concerned about the wellbeing of the American general public so I'm wondering if you could point me to the thread on this forum with all of your passionate comments about the widespread defunding of education and community services. I can't seem to find that conversation when I search. If you're legitimately concerned about people and communities, I can only assume you feel as passionately about funding education and other services that support communities and not just punishment and free license for violence against them.
boom

Mike7

WKR
I was going to let this lie, but on the other hand, I think now is a time that all of us need to stand up and speak out for freedom & truth, and against the evil forces trying to destroy this country from within through the anti-free speech cancel culture, etc.

We get it Newtosavage, anyone who disagrees with you or the ongoing facts that they see daily with their own eyes can't have a brain, is a racist, a conspiracy theorist, or anti-vaccine, etc. That is always a much easier avenue to take than actually defending a position with no facts. I personally do appreciate your attempt to rain in your progressive talking points sometimes it seems, but that is just not enough to maintain intellectual honesty.

You may make some good points in the future, and I am afraid that I might miss them because it is hard for me to take someone seriously, who for instance with respect to racism discounts the anecdotes and statistical assessments of others, while trys to defend his own assertion of systemic racism (which he can't define), by ignoring statistics and then giving his own "personal" anecdote as evidence. How stupid do you think we all are?

Currently there are groups actively using violence to get cities to defund the police, and city leaders are and already have capitulated to them (sometimes with approval tacitly or overtly by governors). If you haven't seen this over the past few weeks, well then now you know. Please let Gov Insley and former President Obama know this as well, so they don't have to learn this through the media a month from now.

Currently, there are many black Americans who think for themselves (which used to be not only legal but celebrated in America) that are getting attacked by radical white and black progressives who not only feel like they know what is best for them, but also feel it is their duty to act for them, and even harass and cancel them if they don't go along.

I had a black client this week originally from a mixed family (and who is working and supporting his own family now) tell me that he had to send out a video to family and friends telling many of them to knock their crap off and quit trying to make him some kind of helpless victim. The final straw was after his woke millenial white niece at a liberal college in the area made a patronizing post to his social media about the systemic racism he must be feeling and special help that he must need being black.

There are good teachers, but what evidence is there that our public education system is not completely inadequate? Look at the statistics yourself or remain willfully ignorant like the great number of millenials who are ignorant about the US Constitution and history, who tear down statues, and who support the currently active marxist and anarchist groups using whatever they can as a diversion (the police, race, etc.) to create chaos and tear down America.

Just listen to their own words and watch their actions, but don't try to then digest it (distort, rationalize, etc.) for us like CNN or the Washington Post.

We have too many Americans that are part of the problem currently in condoning hypocrisy and bad behavior.

Mike7

WKR
Here is some actual potential systemic racism for you below (article) that I could get on board with changing, but you consider that all a conspiracy so that must make it not true ...and amazingly this systemic racism is not the direct fault of cops.

Do we know that more cops, DAs, mayors, etc. of all colors are racist than the average population?

How is there the most claimed systemic racism problems in cities with the fewest white cops and city officials? Perhaps it is more of a class, power, control, politics, education problem than a race problem?...oops, I traffic in more conspiracy that just happens to fit the facts, sorry.

I was going to let this lie, but on the other hand, I think now is a time that all of us need to stand up and speak out for freedom & truth, and against the evil forces trying to destroy this country from within through the anti-free speech cancel culture, etc.

We get it Newtosavage, anyone who disagrees with you or the ongoing facts that they see daily with their own eyes can't have a brain, is a racist, a conspiracy theorist, or anti-vaccine, etc. That is always a much easier avenue to take than actually defending a position with no facts. I personally do appreciate your attempt to rain in your progressive talking points sometimes it seems, but that is just not enough to maintain intellectual honesty.

You may make some good points in the future, and I am afraid that I might miss them because it is hard for me to take someone seriously, who for instance with respect to racism discounts the anecdotes and statistical assessments of others, while trys to defend his own assertion of systemic racism (which he can't define), by ignoring statistics and then giving his own "personal" anecdote as evidence. How stupid do you think we all are?

Currently there are groups actively using violence to get cities to defund the police, and city leaders are and already have capitulated to them (sometimes with approval tacitly or overtly by governors). If you haven't seen this over the past few weeks, well then now you know. Please let Gov Insley and former President Obama know this as well, so they don't have to learn this through the media a month from now.

Currently, there are many black Americans who think for themselves (which used to be not only legal but celebrated in America) that are getting attacked by radical white and black progressives who not only feel like they know what is best for them, but also feel it is their duty to act for them, and even harass and cancel them if they don't go along.

I had a black client this week originally from a mixed family (and who is working and supporting his own family now) tell me that he had to send out a video to family and friends telling many of them to knock their crap off and quit trying to make him some kind of helpless victim. The final straw was after his woke millenial white niece at a liberal college in the area made a patronizing post to his social media about the systemic racism he must be feeling and special help that he must need being black.

There are good teachers, but what evidence is there that our public education system is not completely inadequate? Look at the statistics yourself or remain willfully ignorant like the great number of millenials who are ignorant about the US Constitution and history, who tear down statues, and who support the currently active marxist and anarchist groups using whatever they can as a diversion (the police, race, etc.) to create chaos and tear down America.

Just listen to their own words and watch their actions, but don't try to then digest it (distort, rationalize, etc.) for us like CNN or the Washington Post.

We have too many Americans that are part of the problem currently in condoning hypocrisy and bad behavior.
You'll certainly get all the closet racists in this forum to like that post. ;) Well done. O'Reilly couldn't have spun it better himself.

Here's the thing champ, I'm not some "liberal" as much as you'd like to paint me that way in order to discredit me. I'm a lifelong Republican voter who is now a staunch independent because of what the extremists in the Republican party have done to the party. And you know what? It's folks like me you're gonna have to convince if you want your guy in the white house for four more years.

Arguing for equality shouldn't threaten anyone, but I guess it does threaten those who feel they have something to lose. Funny thing is that just because a group of folks are finally treated as equals doesn't mean anyone has to lose anything. It's that zero-sum game mentality that's what's wrong with this country. People who think, for whatever hateful reason, that in order for one group of people to get something, someone else has to lose something.

You're playing right into the hands of the extremists on both ends who want to divide this nation for their own extreme reasons.

Good luck with that. But if your guy loses in November, It will be because his extremist views lost too many reasonable people.

Last edited:
So if there is no longer systemic racism in the U.S., when did that happen? There must be a progression from the forming of our country to now? So at what point would you say was it eliminated? Unless your position is that our country never had 'systemic racism' in the first place?

There are good teachers, but what evidence is there that our public education system is not completely inadequate? Look at the statistics yourself or remain willfully ignorant like the great number of millenials

Funny, as I'm almost a boomer. ;) What evidence? I dunno man, I had one kid admitted into a military academy without any "help" because of someone I know or whose campaign I threw money at, another child who completed a masters degree by 22, and a third that's on track to do the same. Tell me how their small town "C+" rated public education in a diverse school population hurt them again...? LOL

What's ironic is that so many people who are products of public education, now feel they are smart enough to educate their own kids because public education isn't good enough. I still haven't figured out that leap.

NY16ga

FNG
There are good teachers, but what evidence is there that our public education system is not completely inadequate? Look at the statistics yourself

I'm not entirely clear about what you mean by "inadequate" but regardless are you actually interested in learning about this? I'm sincerely asking, I'm happy to share stats on the positive impact of educational attainment on everything from income and economic security to the likelihood that an individual will commit a crime to positive health outcomes and so on (especially for Millennials and Gen Z, both of whom have much higher rates of educational attainment and lower crime rates compared to troublemaker Gen Xers like me) If you're not actually interested and open to learning though, that's certainly your prerogative. I would just appreciate it if you let me know so I don't waste my time in that case, I'm an education consultant so I usually get paid to pull together outcomes data!

Mike7

WKR
"You'll certainly get all the closet racists in this forum to like that post. ;) Well done. O'Reilly couldn't have spun it better himself."

You just can't help yourself...oh bother.

I don't think you are a liberal. I have commonality with all liberals, libertarians, and conservatives. We all agree on individual liberty and justice for one. Since you brought it up, I think you are a progressive...maybe with significant marxist tendencies and possibly a college professor at a community college. You would probably be horrified if I were to tell you that I like Thomas Jefferson, Martin Luther King, Rand Paul, etc. Just send me to the gulag.

I still haven't seen an example of systemic racism in all of your rhetoric, and you continue to gloss over potential real systemic racism, which I suspect means that you are approving of it. I can only hope that most see through this charade being perpetrated on our country.

Oh, and by the way, none of my kids nor myself, nor my now deceased father (who graduated high school at 16 years old) have had under a 3.7 gpa all of the way through mostly public schools, yet interestingly my kids are clearly the least proficient in history and critical thinking as millenials when the generations have sat down to talk.

I find the worst thing being that many public school teachers now spend significant time telling kids what to think, rather than how to think, with everything being a mental safe space.

What you get with that is people who call other people racists or now closet racists, because they can't handle any challenge to their beliefs.
Currently the most introspective critical thinker out of my own children and most supportive of individual rights, didn't graduate from college or attend post graduate school.

16Bore

WKR
Watch the documentary about the Negro Motorist Green Book, then ask yourself how the f*** that happened in a free country.

Status
Not open for further replies.