dehydrated meals

hey guys, looking to buy some meals for my next hunt, i usually get mtn house but am looking to try some new ones. if anyone has any suggestions or flavors to try let me know!

There are a plethora of freeze dried food companies and the flavors are personal preference. Here are a few to check out:

• Gastro Gnome - bought some but haven't tried them yet.
• Trailtopia - they have a tasty curry chicken
• Wild Zora - these are paleo. Some of them I've tried could have used a little more salt, IMO.
• Packit Gourmet - they have some great options.
• Next Mile Meals - legit keto meals
• Good to Go - these are sold in REI and are tasty.
• Sasquatch Fuel - haven't tried these.
• Mary Jane's Farm
• Backpacker's Bistro
• Backpacker's Pantry - they have some good options and are sold at REI and elsewhere.
• Heather's Choice - Her packaroons are great, but some of her meals aren't my preference.
• Stowaway Gourmet • their bison chili is delicious.
• Off Grid • they have good breakfasts and their bison chili is dynamite.
Peak Refuel has been mentioned, but I personally don't care for them. They're all either rice or pasta combined with a meat.

This should give you somewhere to start and research your options.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Mountain House & Off-grid Food Co are good, but it gets expensive quickly. I started dehydrating my own meals, just cook it like you normally would and spread it out on some wax paper. 8 hours and a vacuum seal later and there's your meal, good for several months unless the meal has a lot of fat (which should be frozen or refrigerated).

And if you don't own a dehydrator yet... Do it for the venison jerky.

Mosby

WKR
After buying a few different brand names and several trips to the rest room, I only buy Pack it Gourmet dehydrated meals. The only brand that tastes good and doesn't create stomach issues for me.

AK Shane

Lil-Rokslider
If I'm eating freeze dried I'm usually in the mountains burning lots of calories. I've switched primarily to Peak Refuel because nearly all the meals are 700+ calories and some over 900 calories. The sodium content is fairly in check as well. They taste good too.

If you're not smoking through calories some of the Good to Go meals are pretty good. Mountain House is always a safe choice but usually heavy on sodium. Although most options are heavy on sodium.

I haven't tried many others. Too expensive and most don't pack enough calories for a backpack trip.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a dehydrator. It’s cheap and easy. I get the subject has been covered but cmon guys new things come along all the time. It is a hunting forum. What is the matter with sharing some recipes that may have already been on the World Wide Web.

I’ve been having a blast dehydrating everything in sight. I have done about every fruit and veggie separately. I do burger and chicken as well. My plan is to mix rice gravy noodles separately to make a meal. I do powdered milk with sugar and oatmeal to make a easy breakfast with fruit. I’m just starting. I’m totally open to recipes. It’s like reloading it seems really complicated and scary, but once you start dabbling it’s really easy to make your own food for cheap and it taste better

Buy a dehydrator. It’s cheap and easy. I get the subject has been covered but cmon guys new things come along all the time. It is a hunting forum. What is the matter with sharing some recipes that may have already been on the World Wide Web.

I’ve been having a blast dehydrating everything in sight. I have done about every fruit and veggie separately. I do burger and chicken as well. My plan is to mix rice gravy noodles separately to make a meal. I do powdered milk with sugar and oatmeal to make a easy breakfast with fruit. I’m just starting. I’m totally open to recipes. It’s like reloading it seems really complicated and scary, but once you start dabbling it’s really easy to make your own food for cheap and it taste better
Yeah, I agree. I've been doing breakfasts for awhile, but just started doing dinners a couple years ago. Typically I just ask my wife to make more of whatever we're having for dinner (obviously plan it out ahead of time) and dehydrate it.

One thing I'm going to try this year is using canned meat instead. I can't get the meat to fully hydrate, which isn't that big of a deal. I've even cut the pieces of meat smaller. Hopefully the canned meat will hydrate better.
2e53c2f04455f1a7d2286e2b183cdfa3.jpg

OP
gigandet642016
Yeah, I agree. I've been doing breakfasts for awhile, but just started doing dinners a couple years ago. Typically I just ask my wife to make more of whatever we're having for dinner (obviously plan it out ahead of time) and dehydrate it.

One thing I'm going to try this year is using canned meat instead. I can't get the meat to fully hydrate, which isn't that big of a deal. I've even cut the pieces of meat smaller. Hopefully the canned meat will hydrate better.
2e53c2f04455f1a7d2286e2b183cdfa3.jpg

honestly did not know this was this easy to do lmao

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
First backpack hunt planned this fall. After seeing all the information on here, think I will have to get the dehydrator out and put it to use. with some of these.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t be afraid to experiment! I think I must have way overcooked my chicken I couldn’t get it to rehydrate at all.

There are a plethora of freeze dried food companies and the flavors are personal preference. Here are a few to check out:

• Gastro Gnome - bought some but haven't tried them yet.
• Trailtopia - they have a tasty curry chicken
• Wild Zora - these are paleo. Some of them I've tried could have used a little more salt, IMO.
• Packit Gourmet - they have some great options.
• Next Mile Meals - legit keto meals
• Good to Go - these are sold in REI and are tasty.
• Sasquatch Fuel - haven't tried these.
• Mary Jane's Farm
• Backpacker's Bistro
• Backpacker's Pantry - they have some good options and are sold at REI and elsewhere.
• Heather's Choice - Her packaroons are great, but some of her meals aren't my preference.
• Stowaway Gourmet • their bison chili is delicious.
• Off Grid • they have good breakfasts and their bison chili is dynamite.
Peak Refuel has been mentioned, but I personally don't care for them. They're all either rice or pasta combined with a meat.

This should give you somewhere to start and research your options.

Now thats an answer to a question.

Seeknelk

WKR
Peak Refuel chicken alfredo and chicken pesto are phenomenal. Also dig the stroganoff and really all of them. And they require a lot less water than mt. House and have serious amount of calories with all the cream and other awesomeness in them.
Tried a Heather choice breakfast my buddy had(he couldn't finish it after a bite) and it was a gnarly tasting mix of grains n stuff. I mean I still shudder thinking about it. Not sure what ingredient it was that was so weird and offensive. Stuck in my mouth. But just try em before you buy a ton. I hear some of Heather's are great and tastes obviously differ.