Dehydrator for drying brass

Recommend me a dehydrator for drying brass. Must have a timer and hold 9mm brass.

Many I've seen online seem to have gaps in the trays too large for 9mm, looks like they'll fall thru?

moxford

Lil-Rokslider
You can use any dryer - find a stupid used clunker at a garage sale, put a layer of cheap window-screen on top if you're worried about falling through, and they make external timers and WIFI controlled outlets and everything else you can think of.

I bought one of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DO0ZR7I/ and a wifi smartplug with a timer app. No worries about "the built-in timer doesn't run long enough"

Don't overthink it - it's just brass, not food. No need for an Excalibur or anything. :D

Cheers,
-mox

OP
D
Waste of time searching garage sales hoping to find a dehydrator when brand new ones are only $40-$60. Also a waste of money buying an external timer (many are junk and I don't want a wi-fi gadget or app) when many dehydrators come with it built in. I don't want to set an app, I just want to turn it on and set it for 2 hours. You're making this very time consuming and complicated.

I just want what I asked for.

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
Our clothes dryer has a rack that can go in it for drying heavy or bulky items like sneakers that you don’t want to bang around in the dryer. They sit on the rack and the drum rotates but the rack stays stationary. That’s how I thoroughly dry my brass. Has a built in timer and everything. Check and see if your dryer has this option.

OP
D
You seem pretty set on what you want and then telling someone to stick it when they offer advice.
You seem pretty set on offering unwanted advice to people who didn't ask for it. Don't get upset when people tell you your advise is unwanted.

I specifically asked for recommendations on a dehydrator with a built in timer. If you don't have anything to contribute, move along.

Last edited:
OP
D
Our clothes dryer has a rack that can go in it for drying heavy or bulky items like sneakers that you don’t want to bang around in the dryer. They sit on the rack and the drum rotates but the rack stays stationary. That’s how I thoroughly dry my brass. Has a built in timer and everything. Check and see if your dryer has this option.
Sounds like I'd need to buy a rack. No thanks. I just want a dehydrator, like my original post states. A dedicaded unit for drying brass.

Besides, I reload in the shop and there's no clothes dryer (or oven) in the shop. That's why I specifically asked about DEHYDRATORS with a built in timer and holds 9mm.

Last edited:

Axlrod

WKR
Waste of time searching garage sales hoping to find a dehydrator when brand new ones are only $40-$60. Also a waste of money buying an external timer (many are junk and I don't want a wi-fi gadget or app) when many dehydrators come with it built in. I don't want to set an app, I just want to turn it on and set it for 2 hours. You're making this very time consuming and complicated.

I just want what I asked for.
Sounds like you are the one making it time consuming and complicated. Go where the $40-$60 ones are and buy one! When you ask for free advice remember the price you paid :)

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like I'd need to buy a rack. No thanks. I just want a dehydrator, like my original post states. A dedicaded unit for drying brass.

Besides, I reload in the shop and there's no clothes dryer (or oven) in the shop. That's why I specifically asked about DEHYDRATORS with a built in timer and holds 9mm.

Our dryer came with the rack, there was nothing extra to buy. I have no clothes dryer in my shop either, but it’s no big deal to bring a laundry bag full of brass into the house and plop it in the dryer on the rack.

OP
D
Our dryer came with the rack, there was nothing extra to buy. I have no clothes dryer in my shop either, but it’s no big deal to bring a laundry bag full of brass into the house and plop it in the dryer on the rack.
Are you seriously still giving unwanted advice about something I didn't ask for, and then specifically said I'm not interested in? Move along please.

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
Wow?! Maybe Internet forums aren’t for you if you get triggered so easily from people just trying to help you out with their experience and knowledge of alternate methods of accomplishing the same goal and saving you money at the same time. Here’s a bit of other useful advice…google is your friend, stop being so lazy and hassling us with your stupid problems and solve them on your own.

DaChank

FNG
I use a lunchbox mini oven thing called a hot logic. Got it on sale last year for like 10 bucks

OP
D
Wow?! Maybe Internet forums aren’t for you if you get triggered so easily from people just trying to help you out with their experience and knowledge of alternate methods of accomplishing the same goal and saving you money at the same time. Here’s a bit of other useful advice…google is your friend, stop being so lazy and hassling us with your stupid problems and solve them on your own.
Wrong. It's not cost effective at all. Operating a clothes dryer hour after hour uses a whole lot more energy/money than a dehydrator.

Your unwanted opinions are still of no use to my question about a dehydrator with a built in timer that works with 9mm.

Move along.

Last edited:

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
It takes about 20 minutes to dry brass in my dryer, not hour after hour.

Look, I assumed you had a dryer and a lot of dryers come with a drying rack. I thought I’d throw out an outside the box option that works perfectly for me that would save you some time and money. No reason to be a jackass about it.

Good luck with it!

OP
D
Hour after hour... Regular use over a period of many years. Are you still posting here?

OP
D
Wrong. Still. Clothes dryers are notorious energy hogs, electric more than gas. A 20-min dryer run costs significantly more than a 2-4 hour dehydrator run. Now do that weekly for say 10 years. A clothes dryer is NOT thrifty way to dry brass. You clearly fail to understand basic mathematics.

Ignored.

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
Wrong. Still. Clothes dryers are notorious energy hogs, electric more than gas. A 20-min dryer run costs significantly more than a 2-4 hour dehydrator run. Now do that weekly for say 10 years. A clothes dryer is NOT thrifty way to dry brass. You clearly fail to understand basic mathematics.

Ignored.

Nonsense! Dryers have become pretty efficient and can dry significantly more brass at one time in a significantly faster time than any dehydrator besides maybe a commercial grade unit. Your claims are nonsensical and unfounded. It’s your money, waste it wherever you want.

Good luck with it.

Hootsma

Lil-Rokslider
I think the dryer idea sounds great. I think i will try that

It’s so simple and works perfectly! I usually strain it out of the tumbler, then put it in a towel rolling it around by raising/lowering opposite edges of the towel to get rid of the excess moisture and then I just throw the wet brass in a mesh laundry sack and lay it on the rack and it’ll be dry in 10-20 minutes depending on amount of brass and wetness.

It’s so simple and works perfectly! I usually strain it out of the tumbler, then put it in a towel rolling it around by raising/lowering opposite edges of the towel to get rid of the excess moisture and then I just throw the wet brass in a mesh laundry sack and lay it on the rack and it’ll be dry in 10-20 minutes depending on amount of brass and wetness.
I think i will try this next time i clean brass. I too already have the rack for my dryer. I have never used the rack so i will need to figure out how it goes in. Im sure it isnt too hard.