Delete

wapitibob

WKR
Despite the Internet, 330 bulls aren't "common" anywhere but a Game farm. I shot a 290 bull in unit 1 on the third day and would do it again in a second. I saw one that was bigger but couldn't get a shot. Might have shot a bigger one if I had waited but he was the 4th one I had snuck up on and I decided to shoot him at just over 10 yards. I applied for that tag this year, not drawing, and would have shot a 280 bull on the first morning without hesitation.
Shoot one that makes you happy.

Beendare

WKR
^^^ Yeah, Bob nailed it.

That 7W has the potential for the biggest bulls in Az. If you set your sights on one just know going in that there are many guys that have those bulls on camera and are targeting them....it can get to be a bit of a chinese fire drill. That 7W is a tough unit to hunt IMO with all of that PJ country. You can have a bull 40 yds from you and can't see him. The waterholes have all been staked out by now....yes, by April...its crazy.

If you really want to shoot a monster you will have to get very lucky.....or have spent a lot of time with a lot of cameras scouting...and even then everything changes after opening day. Don't shoot the messenger!

One of the best mule deer and elk hunters in the world told me....his success was not due to just patterning the buck/bull....but in knowing where they escape to and their escape routes.

DEHusker

WKR
I also drew AZ this year. Here is how I look at it. I can hunt elk anytime in my backyard - maybe you can't do that. However, when I draw a premium tag like AZ, I am more than happy to hold out for what I consider a mature good sized bull. Again, I am not desperate for meat and I can get OTC tags anytime to hunt in CO with a good chance to fill my tag for meat. I am prob not going to draw AZ again anytime soon so I want to have the best chance I can have at shooting the biggest animal I can shoot. Again, this is just me...some people (see above) are just happy to shoot a nice bull/cow or a spike which is totally fine. It's all what you want it to be. AZ has fewer elk but better habitat and genetics to allow for a higher concentration of bigger animals. It's all potential, however....not a guarantee. Are you willing to go home without a tag filled? It could come to that if you are holding out for a "trophy." I am willing to do that but some are not. You have to decide.

What AZ is probably known for more than big bulls is the amount of bugling you can get into. This is not all that common in many western states and if you hit the right day/time it can be absolutely amazing. Go for the hunt with tempered expectations and you'll have a great time.

Most people I have talked to in AZ are incredibly excited this year for elk season. They have gotten tremendous moisture, reasonable temperatures, the archery season dates are as late as they'll get, and there is no moon during the season. Horn growth has the potential to be excellent. If you have an elk tag in AZ this year it could be epic....

Last edited:

TheCougar

WKR
I've archery hunted unit 7. It has good bulls in it, although I can't say how the hunt will be during the late season. It is very glassable country, so you have that going for you. There is pine and PJ and large open parks in the unit, so lots of different terrain for them to hide in. Good luck!