Delima on a Gun Decision.

Went through something similar with my dad‘s rifle. He died in 2002, it’s been setting in the safe and only shot maybe 50 rds since.
Decided to have the action trued, Rebarrel to a new caliber, reusing the wood stock just having it bedded.

Looking forward to getting it back from the gunsmith.

OP
S

ShaneC

FNG
I tell ya after being out of rifle hunting the past 20 years scopes have gotten out of control. Way too many options and completely overwhelmed.

Zappaman

WKR
Indeed, I agree it's ALL gone well past "reasonable" profits for decent gear (that lasts) to WAY "high-end" where the "middle" priced stuff gets harder to find (or gets cheapened down). I just put a $350 scope (to me) on my latest rifle, I bought it as (new) old stock because I KNOW it's a great scope (not made anymore), but I just can't shell out $800 (for a new one that won't do any better for my needs).

I get bench and target shooting (has always been expensive as a hobby for most), but some new hunters THINK they are going to shoot big game out to 1000 yards so they buy a scope that can SEE that far- then realize they dropped $2000 on a scope they'll never fully use... unless they buy a $4k gun (*AND spend 100s of hours on learning to do it... IF they take the time ;)

Marketing (and brand spinning) has worked since time began... people want what they (or others) can't get and if they really do use it- all the power to them. But it's the same today as it was when my ranching family had the bankers, accountants, etc. out to hunt back in the 70s. They'd often show up with "gold-plated" (expensive) guns that they couldn't shoot a deer with at 50 yards. All gear an NO experience... while we ranchers were using our old 70s, 700's and Savages with cheap scopes and worn stocks-- and killing anything out to 600 yards pretty regular.

And boy, I miss Weaver and Nikon (both bought by Bushnell and then shut down). But I know we've all heard this story so I'll shut up now and get back to seating my (10 year old) 123g Amax bullets using some (15 yr old) 4064 powder, with my (12 yr old) WLR primers... for my (new???) ahem, "Creedmoor". It took me 16 years to get one (hey, I had a 260ai so didnd't need one, right!). But I wanted a longer range coyote gun (in a light stock for a change), so bought a Savage Axis on Black Friday and just put a nice OLD Weaver Classic (30mm 4-16) on it a few days ago. Can't wait to shoot some 600 yard "hold over" shots with my OLD school scope I don't plan to "dial"- not coyote hunting anyway.

I tell ya after being out of rifle hunting the past 20 years scopes have gotten out of control. Way too many options and completely overwhelmed.
no doubt! i just went that road, starting out, i thought i had a pretty good head start (would be easy to narrow it down) but the more research i did, the higher likelihood in my head that i could make a pretty poor decision.... really didn't want to spend over 1,500.00, which gives you a lot of options, but also a lot of options with pretty poor reviews digging deeper.

i think i did ok, but it was feeling like the deeper i dug, the easier it would be to make a decision that i would regret at some future date.... i try to buy things these days i won't want to upgrade in the near future... myself, like many, has wasted a ton of money over the years compromising, then upgrading shortly after... now i would rather get by with what i have until i'm ready to buy what i need

OP
S

ShaneC

FNG
no doubt! i just went that road, starting out, i thought i had a pretty good head start (would be easy to narrow it down) but the more research i did, the higher likelihood in my head that i could make a pretty poor decision.... really didn't want to spend over 1,500.00, which gives you a lot of options, but also a lot of options with pretty poor reviews digging deeper.

i think i did ok, but it was feeling like the deeper i dug, the easier it would be to make a decision that i would regret at some future date.... i try to buy things these days i won't want to upgrade in the near future... myself, like many, has wasted a ton of money over the years compromising, then upgrading shortly after... now i would rather get by with what i have until i'm ready to buy what i need
So what did you end up with?