Delta airlines…. Rifle and handgun in same case?

OP
P
So it is ok for firearms and ammo to be in the same case?
Same thought

In the meantime I’m trying to figure out a reason to Buy a really good revolver for bear rejection.

I don’t really need one I don’t really care that much but my wife is terrified of bears and it’s a pretty good opportunity to buy a gun that I don’t need. Any used revolvers out there That are awful the shoot and ammunition is dumb expensive?

OXN939

WKR
So it is ok for firearms and ammo to be in the same case?

No, ammo is supposed to be in a separate checked bag. As mentioned above, it has to be in an original factory container as well.

For the OP, I flew to Alaska with 4 firearms in one case a few months ago- it's regarded as the same as a container with one firearm. The variation comes with which TSA agents you get checking your case. Some will swab it, check that it's clear and safe, test how well your optic is mounted and then throw it back in the case. When I flew to Wyoming last month, I watched them load my double Masterlock sealed hard case without opening it. Total crapshoot what their procedure will be, in my experience.

No, ammo is supposed to be in a separate checked bag.
This is wrong. I have flown several times to Alaska, Colorado, Montana, Kansas. Ammo is always in the Pelican case with the rifle/handgun.

Ammunition​

• Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
  • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
  • Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline.
  • Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.
  • Please check with your airline for quantity limits for ammunition.

Scope will come off the S&W (might hunt here with it this year) but this is my thought..

Or, maybe use this trip as a reason for a new handgun. Maybe Mack daddy revolver with shorter barrel or a 10mm??? This 44 damn sure big and heavy.

View attachment 353288
I would rotate the guns so they are horizontal. Get a 20 pack of underwood ammo for your pistol, then use a 20 count box for your rifle ammo. This will all fit neatly within that footprint

OXN939

WKR
This is wrong. I have flown several times to Alaska, Colorado, Montana, Kansas. Ammo is always in the Pelican case with the rifle/handgun.

Ammunition​

• Ammunition is prohibited in carry-on baggage, but may be transported in checked baggage.
  • Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be securely boxed or included within a hard-sided case containing an unloaded firearm. Read the requirements governing the transport of ammunition in checked baggage as defined by 49 CFR 175.10 (a)(8).
  • Small arms ammunition (up to .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge) must be packaged in a fiber (such as cardboard), wood, plastic, or metal box specifically designed to carry ammunition and declared to your airline.
  • Ammunition may be transported in the same hard-sided, locked case as a firearm if it has been packed as described above. You cannot use firearm magazines or clips for packing ammunition unless they completely enclose the ammunition. Firearm magazines and ammunition clips, whether loaded or empty, must be boxed or included within a hard-sided, locked case.
  • Please check with your airline for quantity limits for ammunition.

Interesting. Guess the American Airlines flight attendant who checked us in for that Wyoming trip didn't know what they were talking about- they made my buddy remove the ammo that was in his hard case and put it in his other checked bag.

DropTyne

Lil-Rokslider
I agree ammo can be in the case with the gun. However, I am not surprised that the airline attendant didn't know what she was doing. When traveling with firearms, I always check out TSA's and the airline's requirements before flying. They do change from time to time. It's probably not a bad idea to print them out in the event you run into a situation with an inexperienced flight attendant. I have nicely asked an attendant to stop and ask a supervisor before when she was getting ready to send my gun case down the line with regular luggage instead of going through TSA, and without the signed orange firearms declaration saying the gun was unloaded.

A lot depends on what airport you fly through. Workers in Billings Montana are up to speed on gun transport because most of their passengers in November are traveling with rifles. However, I didn't find that to be the case when I landed in Kansas City. Heaven help you if you ever travel through somewhere like Chicago with a firearm.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Agreed, some act like you're from another planet if you show up at the check in with a firearm.