Delta Waterfowl, Snake River Chapter, East Idaho

DocD5150

FNG
So any waterfowl hunter have surely heard of Ducks Unlimited, right? I grew up going to their banquets. Nothing wrong with them. I guess I just fell apart from them over the years. DU got so big over the years that they took to big political fight to preserve our lands. I know a lot of people have varying opinions of them over the years. A few months ago, I was shopping at Sportsmans Warehouse, like I do almost every day. I met a man up front with a booth by Delta Waterfowl. Intrigued, I stopped and visited. Long story short, I came to find they'd actually been around close to 30 years longer than Ducks Unlimited. They've worked hand in hand with them over the years. It's just that nobody has ever heard of them here in Idaho. Particularly, eastern Idaho in the Snake River Chapter that they just created a little over a year ago. I learned that Delta Waterfowl is primarily focused on putting more birds in the sky by creating nesting structures and/or improving and maintaining those that are already in existence. They work in accordance with local Fish and Game to enhance conservation, are heavily focused on the youth hunters (as they're the future generation of waterfowl hunters), provide lots of youth days to provide hunting, teach safety, bird identification and the full sha-bang. They are in works for future veteran hunts, creating handicapped accessible blinds in the local area here and much more. They also heavily focus on predator control up in the delta marsh of Canada. Which is where the Delta Waterfowl name came from, since its the major area almost all waterfowl nest. So, as a 100% disabled veteran and not working, I decided to sign up to be on the committee as a volunteer. Was that long ramble a sales pitch? NO. I'm not sure who else has heard of these guys, but from what I've learned of this local chapter here in my neck of the woods and the things they've done so far; I legitimately saw the need to sign up and help. I have seen the Wildlife Management Areas in this area dwindle over the years and my fondest memories are of when my dad introduced me to hunting by waterfowl hunting. I enjoy all my other adventures big game hunting, doing upland game, trapping and predator/varmint hunting, but waterfowl will always be at the core of my heart. Just thought I'd share in case nobody has heard of them and that there might be a local chapter near you.