Denver area boot shopping

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Heading out to check out an area and camp next week. I still need good boots. Where is the best place with the widest variety of boots to check out while i'm out there? I have salomans but I'm looking for something more sturdy. I hate bying boots without being able to try them on so I thought this would be a good time to find some and start breaking them in. Thanks.

Wapiti66

Lil-Rokslider
You can try REI, just DONT tell them that you are using the boot to hunt, I overheard a worker tell a guy that hunters are too hard on boots because they tend to do a lot of off-trail hiking...they have a descent selection and i picked up some Lowa Caminos there after moving on from the Solomon 4d. Also cabelas and bass pro, last time I was in cabelas in Denver they had a good "sturdy" boot selection. Sportsmans Warehouse is a good option also.

wildcat33

WKR
Bent Gate in Golden has a good selection of boots geared towards the backpacking and mountaineering crowd.

My advice would be to buy some boots that you think you'll like online (somewhere with free or cheap return shipping) and then drive right through Denver as fast as possible on the way to your camp spot.

OP
I

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll actually be closer to the Glenwood springs area, just figured there might be more options in the big city.

sveltri

WKR
I believe Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear carries Scarpa. Where are you coming from, Gene Taylor's in Gunnison also has a good selection.

Boman

Lil-Rokslider
In Denver, REI has a good selection including Lowa Tibet's. Also Sportsman Warehouse carries Kenetrek and Zamberlain

Just as everyone said, REI in denver, the main store downtown, has a great selection. Be careful, very easy to spend your cash in there....

ericF

WKR
Everybody has mentioned the REI already which is huge, but there are two Cabelas in town. There is one in the north and one in the south so it is fairly easy access wherever you are.

Go to Bent Gate in Golden, the employees actually know what they are talking about... plus they sell good boots. REI has selection, but most employees at REI are clueless....

OP
I

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Actually didn't get time to stop and look because of the big snow storm. Had a great time camping though and found some spots to check out this fall!

OP
I

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Lathrop and Sons is in Indiana. Go see them. They cater to hunters.

Looks like they are in IL, but not too bad of a drive. Thanks for the heads up, I think I'll drive over to check them out.

Tsnider

WKR
i live near glenwood springs. most of our mountaineering stores are expensive. i tend to buy online because im a working class guy living in a valley filled with millionaires, and the stores cater to them.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I'd say buy online and just be sure you can try them on and wear them around the house some and still return them if you need to.

Get them as early as you can, and use liners to break them in...

Good luck!

I'd try a few styles if Meindls at Cabelas. The Perfekt Hunter fits quite a bit different from the other heavier Meindl boots so try a few models. Good luck.