Denver Area Company/Individual that sights in rifles

I know this is taboo in having someone develop and sight in your own rifle but time is not on my side. I purchased a new model 70 extreme weather in 7mm rem mag and put a Burris Veracity 3-15 on it. I don’t have the time or whereabouts to get it sighted in and load developed.

Does anyone know of a company or individual in the Denver area that does this? I live in Castle Rock.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
Then why don't you sight it in? If you understand how to zero a rifle then it only takes as little as 5 rounds, most people use up 10 or 20 rounds but if you shoot the rifle before hunting season, as everyone should, I'm sure you'll use up at least that much ammo. If you don't have the time to do that then you really aren't properly prepared to make an ethical hunt anyways.

And remember this, nobody can sight your rifle in for you and make it shoot as well as you can. I've seen right and left hand shooters produce impacts that were several inches apart at 100 yards simply because of the physical differences between the two shooters. I used to watch people pay $20 for a person to use a sighting machine to zero their rifle at the gun range that I managed. After several years of watching this, every single one of those people had to make sight adjustments to be on at 100 yards. Nobody can see through your eyes nor can they match your body shape so it's pretty much impossible for them to make your rifle shoot best for you.

Last edited:
OP
H
It’s not a question of being ethical or not. I have never wounded an animal because I don’t take risky shots or shoot much past 300 yards. I have a .270 that I have harvested game with every year and get out once or twice to shoot is all. I am not stating I am a great shot. I just know my limits. I am looking for load development and don’t have the reloading equipment or time to try all the different loads. I would like to have more time to get out but that will come later in life.

Brendan

WKR
It’s not a question of being ethical or not. I have never wounded an animal because I don’t take risky shots or shoot much past 300 yards. I have a .270 that I have harvested game with every year and get out once or twice to shoot is all. I am not stating I am a great shot. I just know my limits. I am looking for load development and don’t have the reloading equipment or time to try all the different loads. I would like to have more time to get out but that will come later in life.

Go to a store, buy good off the shelf ammo, head to the range. You'll be sighted in with a rifle that should shoot 1" groups in what, 30 minutes or less?

If you don't have time and are looking for help, no way you should be using reloads of any sort.

Evergreen

WKR
Go to a store, buy good off the shelf ammo, head to the range. You'll be sighted in with a rifle that should shoot 1" groups in what, 30 minutes or less?

If you don't have time and are looking for help, no way you should be using reloads of any sort.

Why not??? What is wrong with paying a gunsmith to build a good load for your rifle and either get the specs of the load or continue to have the smith reload for you?

Not
Why not??? What is wrong with paying a gunsmith to build a good load for your rifle and either get the specs of the load or continue to have the smith reload for you?

Nothing wrong with it, but any perceived advantage won’t be recognized if you don’t shoot enough to site a rifle in.

Evergreen

WKR
I think anyone could benefit from more accurate and consistent ammo. Yes more time behind the gun is way more important but having mediocre ammo doesnt help either.

archp625

WKR
There are people out there that offer this kind of service but its pricey. I cant understand how you don't have 1 hour out of your day to shoot and get this done. As someone else mentioned, buy a few boxes of good factory ammo and have at it. You will find out within an hour which one it likes the best plus have a zeroed in rifle.

Plus, some good range therapy.

If I was in your area i would do it for the cost of ammo just to be able to get out and shoot a rifle I don't own.

I think anyone could benefit from more accurate and consistent ammo. Yes more time behind the gun is way more important but having mediocre ammo doesnt help either.

Your point is valid, nothing wrong with knowing your equipment is good to go. I think it's the fact you lumped the load development in with sighting the rifle in started throwing red flags. As others indicated, if it takes more than 5 rounds to get sighted in either the scope is broken or i'm not shooting worth a shit.

I still say at 300 and in your standard 1.5 MOA factory fodder is just fine. Better is nice but not worth the $$ IMO.

mt100gr.

WKR
I'd say continue with the strategy you have adopted with your 270 and plan to hunt with it this year or until you have time to learn your new gear. At least you're familiar with the rifle and it's abilities. Having someone else shoot your rifle only demonstrates what that rifle will do in their hands.

WKR
Just shot some factory Berger ammunition in my daughter's rig. Granted it has a good barrel but it was shooting sub .5 moa. It won't take long to dial in that rig. PM sent to OP.

howl

WKR
You literally have to sight it in to be sure it will work for you. Usually it's close enough but I have seen a difference of several inches.

Web is full of people offering load development. Not sure why it matters in this instance though of being off several inches is acceptable.

elkguide

WKR
What I hear the OP saying is that he would like to hire the services of someone to find what load, bullet, OAL, etc. works best in his rifle and that might include factory ammunition. The last rifle that a good friend of mine had built came from the smith with a load worked up using the bullet that he had him chamber the rifle for. He is an unbelievable marksman but does not like to spend any time at the reloading bench, experimenting with new loads. I happen to thrive on developing new loads and experimenting with new components. So while I wouldn't be interested in having someone else develop a load combo for me, my friend does.

To the Op's question, I don't know anyone in the Denver area but if you were to be visiting Vermont, drop it by and I'd love to work up a load or two for you. (even if I dislike the 7mm Mag cartridge!!!!!)

Brendan

WKR

My opinion: Zero advantage in his case and you're reliant on someone else. There's plenty of good factory ammo that will be more than accurate enough at the ranges he's going to shoot, especially when he admittedly doesn't have much time to practice.

davsco

WKR
nothing really, it's just that going thru the process yourself gives you trigger time which will help you make that shot when needed. i recently bought a tikka 300wsm and ordered a dozen different boxes of elk hunting ammo and will try them all and stock up on the one that shoots the best. grabagun and wholesale hunter, amongst others, have low or flat rate shipping so buying just a box each of different ammo you don't get screwed with shipping costs.

especially if you're just going to be shooting within 300 yds or so, you prob don't need the super precision that handloads may give you over factory. even a 2 moa gun/ammo combo, which is very inaccurate by today's standards, will give you a 6 inch circle at 300 yards (before buck fever and weird shooting positions of course), within the kill zone of deer on up. now obviously a 1/2 moa gun/ammo combo gives you a lot more room for error.

I know this is taboo in having someone develop and sight in your own rifle but time is not on my side. I purchased a new model 70 extreme weather in 7mm rem mag and put a Burris Veracity 3-15 on it. I don’t have the time or whereabouts to get it sighted in and load developed.

Does anyone know of a company or individual in the Denver area that does this? I live in Castle Rock.

Thanks.

I feel bad for you.

You asked for the time, and everyone told you how to build a watch.

Isn't the internet awesome?