Denver area vacation help needed

Grumman

WKR
Hey folks my wife has decided to forgo her annual beach vacation and wants to get to the mountains this year. We have a place booked in Estes Park this weekend through mid next week. After that we are pretty open on where we go and what we do for the next 10 days. This is our 15th anniversary, but we are traveling with a 9 yr old and 4 yr old, and the inlaws. My wife has just recently became interested in hiking. I am hoping we can find some time to go out on some day hikes while we are there. The inlaws are a no go on any exercise, so we'll have to plan things for them while we hike. So far we have the Stanley hotel tour booked, and want to see the park. We really want to see a Moose as we've never seen one in the wild. Beyond that I'd like to stop by Kifaru and 1Shot gear if possible. What else are must see things in that area? Any and all advice on making this a memorable vacation is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Titan_Bow

WKR
If you want to see a moose go up to Brainard Lake. Get there early. Some truly spectacular scenery for shorter hikes with kids. A drive up the Poudre canyon towards the Colorado State Forest State Park will likely net you a moose spotting as well. Bring a fishing rod for the kids and stop at Michigan reservoir. You can catch rainbow trout pretty easily there. Pearl street in Boulder is always interesting; street performers, good restaurants, eccentric homeless people, shopping.. Head south of Denver, go see Dinosaur Ridge, Red Rocks amphitheater, Garden of the Gods. Maybe drive out the 70 corridor, take a mine tour in Idaho Springs. Have pizza at Beau Jos while your there. Go up to Georgetown, you'll likely spot some bighorn sheep while there. The Georgetown railroad loop and mine tour is fun for the kids

OP
G

Grumman

WKR
Thanks a ton Titan this is extremely helpful!

I vacationed in Estes Park last summer. My family and I loved the Hummer tour we did through Rocky Mountain Rush. We did the not so mellow marshmallow roast tour. You off road up to this camp in the evening, cook out and drink beer as the sun goes down, then drive down with off road lights and music. Our guide was really cool. It wasn't that touristy, felt more like off roading with a group of friends.

Home-Rocky Mountain Rush

The park is awesome, the drive over the continental divide is very cool. We saw elk everywhere, and a bunch of moose in the beaver ponds on the west side of the park, north of Timber Creek campground.

oldgoat

WKR
Black Hawk and Central City are cool too, mining district, has gambling, but some neat scenery and if you can find the old cemetery from the mining days, it's really neat to walk around in.

The Coors tour is awesome but leave the kiddos with a sitter. Red Rocks and the special gummy bears that are sold on every block in Denver. If weather is good I would try some fishing too.

From Estes, Head on down to Loveland with some fishing poles. River's Edge Natural Area is a great place for the family to fish. My family and I were there this past weekend and caught tons of bluegill and lake trout. The bluegill were palm size and the trout were 10"-12", but we caught 30 or 50 fish in a few hours. We were fishing the west end of Dragon Fly. We heard that the catfish were biting pretty good in Sandpiper. Only 30 minutes from Estes too!

elkduds

WKR
If Trail Ridge Road opens, go west from Estes. Grand Lake is a pretty spot, then Steamboat w hot springs pool and river through downtown. Huge hot springs pool @ Glenwood, also ziplining, cave tours, river rafting.

kda082

WKR
We go to Breck every summer and winter when I'm lucky or too much $. It's a great place in the summer. Great hiking, food, beer, and close shopping for the gals. Weather is perfect.

If Trail Ridge Road opens, go west from Estes. Grand Lake is a pretty spot, then Steamboat w hot springs pool and river through downtown. Huge hot springs pool @ Glenwood, also ziplining, cave tours, river rafting.

The Grand Lake side of Trail Ridge Road, just before you leave the park is where you will find the moose on that road typically. Or, as TitanBow said, drive from Granby to SteamBoat Springs, then do a little back tracking through Walden and over the divide back down the Poudre Canyon. Walden through the pass is great moose spotting country too.

OP
G

Grumman

WKR
Thank you all, I really appreciate the tips! My 9 year old absolutely loves to fish. Hopefully he can have some fun and good luck there. I know I am the worlds worst trout fisherman:)

OP
G

Grumman

WKR
3058c0f46151e77affabbe8756dedce5.jpg
2a7ace196fc39cf49500b6fc5100c815.jpg
10410728447fef28c097737b3c4f54de.jpg

We saw a moose, thanks guys! Ended up seeing two cows and a calf. I setup my spotter for some quick photos. I was using my Novagrade I won here on Rokslide and am loving that thing more and more. My wife wanted to take a photo and the Novagrade allowed me to take my phone out and let her use it in seconds even though her case is totally different than mine.

wytx

WKR
You should have headed north up through Laramie after Estes Park. Great hiking in the Snowies and Saratoga Wy has a free hot springs pool.