Deodorant help...

jorswift

Lil-Rokslider
Ok guys.. Odd question, but maybe you all can help.

I have a bit sensitive skin. I cannot wear any "white" deodorants as over time I break out and burns. I always use a "colored" stick. When whitetail hunting I can only wear the "scent free" stuff for a little bit, then have to wash off. Does anyone know of anything out there I could/can use for elk hunting this year. Will be gone about 2 weeks or so in the mountains. I doubt I will be able to shower regularly and wash clothes to get it off. I will have wipes. Kinda hoping someone has similar situation and used something I havent heard of. Thanks.

I don’t know of anything but a quick search found this

You’re going to hear a lot of guys tell you that you don’t need deodorant to hunt elk. Hunt the wind. And they are 100% true. You can’t fool an elks nose. AT ALL! I’ve busted a few myself. However, I wear deodorant myself when I’m chasing ek and sleeping 6-10 nights in a row in a tent. Except I’m wearing it for me, not the elk! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisAU

WKR
Look for unscented gels. I bought a 6 pack of travel size Mitchum ones a couple years ago that are just for that purpose.

WRM

WKR
When I'm home whitetail hunting, I use Code Blue's stick. It works well, because it has a super high aluminum content. If that's the source of your sensitivity, however, it will only make it worse. I developed a sensitivity to aluminum products years ago and got off them for daily use. I only use this when I hunt at home. I have not had an issue I know of---yet. It will stop the sweating (within reason). That is the anti-perspirant angle.

If you can't tolerate an anti-perspirant, then you are stuck with trying to mask the odor or reduce the bacteria growing in your sweat (deodorant angle). Wipes and powders may be your best choices then. Some also get help from natural products (crystals, Tom's). You'll likely need to experiment. But, you will sweat--this is only to try and reduce / inhibit bacteria from growing in your sweat (where the stink happens).

As noted, you're mostly doing this for yourself, so do what makes sense to you. You aren't going to fool the nose of a downwind animal pretty much no matter what you do.

Last edited:

WoodBow

WKR
Walmart carries a mitchum unscented roll on that is bad to the bone. I bought there unscented gel one time and it sucked and I could smell it. But the roll on one is amazing. I wear it exclusively for hunting because it does contain aluminum. My pits arent super sensitive but some deodorants will make them irritated. This one does not. I wear it on backpack hunts and I can go multiple days with zero body odor. Also wearing a merino base shirt.

Titan_Bow

WKR
I use an all natural unscented charcoal deodorant, my wife gets it at our local King Soopers (Kroger’s). It works well and doesn’t cause me to break out or react at all. I also think it’s most value is just keeping me from smelling myself after several days without a shower!

Try a crystal deodorant stone for a week or two and see how it works for you. It’s just a mineral salt without added chemicals. Inexpensive, one rock lasts a good while.
I was looking for a scent free deodorant for the same reasons and have been happy with a stone for 20 years now.

fatlander

WKR
Wet wipe your pits and nuts. Then hit them both with some gold bond. Deodorant isn’t worth the weight on a backpack hunt. You’re going to smell like a buzzard regardless. The wet wipe/gold bond combo at least leaves you feeling clean.

madcalfe

WKR
I've never once taken deodorant on any elk hunt. and I've shot all my bulls within 50 yards.
wet wipes and baby powder works wonders.

I've never once taken deodorant on any elk hunt. and I've shot all my bulls within 50 yards.
wet wipes and baby powder works wonders.
I have never taken deodorant on any hunt. Wipe my self up good every few days with baby wipes and go.

Baby wipes or dude wipes if you prefer a "manly" scent. Unless you plan on using deodorant on your ENTIRE body, your gonna stink after a couple days of going up and down the hill.

I take wipes and little chunk of bar soap. . . Mid week if you hit a decent stream, freeze your balls for a few minutes while lathering up and washing off (try to use non toxic or envio friendly soap). . . You'll never feel as clean and refreshed as you do when you realize that stank you've been smelling for 2 days was you and now you're clean again! (Also a mid week change if the undergarments is nice)

But like others have said, the wind will get you regardless of what you smell like!

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Try Certain Dri Prescription Strength Clinical Antiperspirant. It's a roll on and works great.

Hondo

WKR
I get a rash from most deodorants including many unscented & hypoallergenic ones. The only ones I have found that work for me are the mineral salt stones and Schmidt's stick. I haven't found any wipes that work well for me so I use a camp soap & wash cloth when I can.

Powder is nice to have as well. I make my own unscented & talc free powder which is easy and cheap to do plus it can double as a sauce & gravy thickener. :)
1 part Baking Soda
1 part Rice Flour
2 parts Corn Starch

Last edited:
Mitchum unscented gel is my everyday antiperspirant.

Try light weight wool shirts. They are much less stinky after a few days than synthetics.

sndmn11

WKR
I get a rash from every deodorant I have used since college after about 3 months of use. Then I have to change.
I started using Schmidt's last year, and it solved that problem and doesn't wear off in a day. Awesome stuff, and the bar soap is great too.