Desert advice.

Bobbyboe

WKR
Heading to the Arizona desert in 10 days for a otc hunt. This is my first time in the state and also archery hunting for mule deer. I’ve used available resources to identify water, access and public land. I also found aerial imagery from drought seasons and bookmarked tanks that had water during those seasons. I’ve also found glassing spots that are higher than to take advantage of glassing.

So, what advise do you have for a first time desert hunter? Specific plant or terrain that bodes well for mule deer, expected behavior and movement times of day, vacinity to water, ect. How far off the roads to you typically see others go?

Appreciate it.

Been a dry year so be prepared for many of your water sources to be empty. Also be prepared for those that do have water to have hunters there or nearby.

Quick edit: Deer may not hit the same water source on any sort of regularity. It is not in the deer's best interest to be that predictable. One area that I occasionally predator hunt does not have much water. Had cameras on two tanks. Would consistently go long stretches with zero deer; had to be other water in the area that I never found.

Expect lots of hunters and recreational users on the weekends. Things tend to be quieter during the week. This can dictate how far from the road you want to go.

Gain some elevation and glass the lower 1/2-1/3 of the mountains and down into the flats. If you are seeing a lot of Coues, look lower. There can be some overlap in the terrain they cover. Look for activity at first and last light. Glass during the day and look under brush/trees/etc. They'll get up to use the bathroom, stretch, and move to shade (what is shady now may be in the sun in an hour).

Last edited:
OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
Been a dry year so be prepared for many of your water sources to be empty. Also be prepared for those that do have water to have hunters there or nearby.

Quick edit: Deer may not hit the same water source on any sort of regularity. It is not in the deer's best interest to be that predictable. One area that I occasionally predator hunt does not have much water. Had cameras on two tanks. Would consistently go long stretches with zero deer; had to be other water in the area that I never found.

Expect lots of hunters and recreational users on the weekends. Things tend to be quieter during the week. This can dictate how far from the road you want to go.

Gain some elevation and glass the lower 1/2-1/3 of the mountains and down into the flats. If you are seeing a lot of Coues, look lower. There can be some overlap in the terrain they cover. Look for activity at first and last light. Glass during the day and look under brush/trees/etc. They'll get up to use the bathroom, stretch, and move to shade (what is shady now may be in the sun in an hour).

Thanks. I hunted a unit in New Mexico a few years ago with similar drought conditions. Literally ALL water sources in the area were dry. I killed a nice buck 6-8 miles from any known water. I just don’t think they need as much water as people think. That, or they literally travel a lot further than people think.

Since the rut should still be kicking I’m assuming if I find the does, all find bucks. Curious where these deer typically bed, in washouts or under any given bush. The washouts on the north facing sides seem ideal to keep cool and stay in shade.

Do look for does as there usually will be bucks with them or near them. Keep tabs on the does and periodically check (even if they were buck-free last time you looked). However, still glass for any mule deer. When you find one, or a group of them, pick apart the area around them.

They'll bed where they want to bed (does not have to make sense to us). Can find them bedded in washes, ledges, ridge lines, etc. You can find them bedded the in the strangest place just like you can find them in the stereotypical places.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
best of luck to you.

I've been here in AZ for 3 weeks. Hunting coues bucks, scouting my desert areas for January mulies. My hunting neighbors complaining of lack of rut activity in the desert. They use their UTV/ATV's, I use my boots hiking to areas they don't go to. Local biologist says rut may be very brief, again effects of record drought. My fave tank of 18 years has gone dry for the first time and it's a deep tank/water hole.

Even the coues bucks are not showing any sign of rut in my usual hunted areas. Last week of December usually going well for coues rut action.

Not seeing anywhere near the usual number of desert bucks/deer for that matter on my scout trips. Those few I've spotted, don't appear to be doing well physically. The EXTREME drought, with very little to no relief from Sept to November, has adversely affected these desert giants. A good day scouting the desert this year is spotting 4-6 deer, for an entire day. And several days of zip. So about 2/3 less than past years in my experience.

so much that this Friday afternoon, instead of my fave desert areas, I'm heading to the north/Mogollon rim muley country for 8 days archery OTC. Lack of snow this year has the muleys in their usual summer/September areas. And the muley rut in the HC is peaking now...

most of locals here doing same.
2020 has been toughest, challenging hunting of my 18 years hunting archery OTC non-resident here...

Last edited:
I’ve never hunted AZ, but if it’s anything like the high plains deserts of NM, I look for does because I know there will be a buck or 3 ready and willing to breed a doe or 3 nearby

Killing deer on these OTC seasons is definitely not an easy task. I have 5 attempts with 2 being in the early season, I've had several shot opps many blown stalks and a great time. Missed a great mule deer, it would have went boone and was a 30incher typical 4 point with eye guards. Just giant. Also had a blown stalk on a giant coues buck last January. Just awesome

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
Y
Killing deer on these OTC seasons is definitely not an easy task. I have 5 attempts with 2 being in the early season, I've had several shot opps many blown stalks and a great time. Missed a great mule deer, it would have went boone and was a 30incher typical 4 point with eye guards. Just giant. Also had a blown stalk on a giant coues buck last January. Just awesome
Your post gets me excited, but what’s the advice? 😂 Can’t wait to get down there. Weather forecast is 60 and sunny. Much better than upper 20’s and snow where I am currently.

Have realistic expectations is my advice. Try your best but don't expect to haul out a 200 incher your first trip or ever for that matter on a otc tag. There otc for a reason.

OP
Bobbyboe

Bobbyboe

WKR
Have realistic expectations is my advice. Try your best but don't expect to haul out a 200 incher your first trip or ever for that matter on a otc tag. There otc for a reason.

Thanks! This trip was last minute. My hopes are I see a bunch a deer and get at least 1 stalk. I won’t release on a small buck (sub 150), so I do anticipate coming home empty handed.

This was true personal research for this one. No tips on area, no advice from locals, no calls to fish and game. Just research on past hunter success and type of terrain I wanted to hunt. From there, google earth, county gis and a few more resources.

In the end I’m confident in my plans, and would be quite surprised if I don’t succeed on my above stated goals. Can’t wait! 8 more days.

S.Clancy

WKR
I'll be leaving this coming Friday for AZ. It's pretty fun, be prepared to see a lot of people and glass a lot. I shot a small 3x3 mulie in 22 last January. If you hunt your balls off you'll have a great time. Good luck!

AZ_J

FNG
I just got done hunting this weekend in 21. definitely all the water sources I planned to hunt around this year were all so dry. The only water I found was down in the nasty canyons that I am just not gonna go down to. Had 1 stalk on a 4x4, only buck/group I saw all weekend. I got busted when the 4x4 pushed a spike off a doe and the spike ran and stopped 10ft from me and then they all bolted. AZ January OTC never ceases to humble me that's for sure. But I am getting better at stalking, just a matter of time before it all clicks. Just never saw the quantity of deer I am used to seeing in that area. But I blame that on full moon, drought and me not knowing what the deer do in the area in times of extreme drought.