Desert Bighorn Binoculars

Bbushnell

FNG
Going on a desert bighorn hunt in utah this fall and need opinions on glass. I have 8x Swarovski binos but feel I need more magnification. I’ve been considering the Maven b2 11x45 or the vortex razor uhd 12x50. I can get the razors for like $1300 and the mavens are $1200. I do have a Swarovski spotting scope so these are to carry on my chest harness and to use to first find sheep.

OP
B

Bbushnell

FNG
If you have been driving Ferrari's you will not be too happy switching to a Corvette. Any reason not to stay Swarovski?
Biggest thing is cost. I wish I could afford some 12x50 Swarovski’s but can’t justify that right now. My Swarovski 8x are dad hand me downs so hate to sell them.

How often are you going to use the new binoculars? If this is a one time deal, rent them.

Do you run your Swaro 8s on a tripod? If not, you should and this may very well work for you on this specific hunt.

Outwest

WKR
I would seriously consider meopta 12s or even 15s if you’re trying to stay a little cheaper. With already packing a tripod for your spotter, mount your binos and let them work for you. In my experience, handholding your binos looking for desert sheep is usually the exception, not the rule. Those white butts will stick out but you’ll find a lot more white butts with 12s or 15s on a tripod. Best of luck to you.

OP
B

Bbushnell

FNG
How often are you going to use the new binoculars? If this is a one time deal, rent them.

Do you run your Swaro 8s on a tripod? If not, you should and this may very well work for you on this specific hunt.
I haven’t run them on a tripod. I will try them on a tripod before I purchase anything. I am thinking if I go with 12x I will use them frequently. Antelope hunting and mule deer hunting.

OP
B

Bbushnell

FNG
I would seriously consider meopta 12s or even 15s if you’re trying to stay a little cheaper. With already packing a tripod for your spotter, mount your binos and let them work for you. In my experience, handholding your binos looking for desert sheep is usually the exception, not the rule. Those white butts will stick out but you’ll find a lot more white butts with 12s or 15s on a tripod. Best of luck to you.
Thanks! I will look at the meoptas!

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
I want to throw out there that you may consider checking out TRACT Optics. Great glass that won't cost you the arm and the leg. Either the TORIC 10x50 or 12.5x50 (coming back in stock in a few days) are solid options for where you'll likely be in Utah. Plus, there's a 30-day no questions asked return policy. Either way, best of luck on your hunt...for both binos and big horn sheep.

NV HUNTER

WKR
Drew a desert sheep tag in nevada. I bought 15x56 Swarovski. I want every advantage I can get. I plan on going on a few more sheep hunts, but this might be the only time I pull the trigger.