Desert Tech SRS A2

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
Now that there are some out in the field I wanted to see if anyone had any interest/experience with the new DT SRS A2? Dropping two pounds to 8-9lbs unscoped along with a low overall length due to bullpup design would seem to be a good fit as a mid/heavy hunting rifle.

Since the design is very similar to the A1 does anyone have any feedback for either for use as a long range mountain hunting rifle?

Thanks!

I have an A1 with 6.5x47 and 300 Norma conversions. They are the two most accurate shooting setups I have. My setup is 16+ lbs so the Norma gets to accompany on glassing locations near the road when there’s a chance something might step out at longer range. Otherwise it’s a range queen.

My decision to buy one was inspired by the defensive edge LRKM, but I like the flexibility, availability, and price of the DT setup. I like the multiple conversions opportunity 223 - big Lapua based magnums are possible with a new barrel and bolt. The overall length is nice for using a can. The ergos take some getting used to and I prefer a traditional rifle in that respect. I find it a bit easier to get steady prone with the longer span between rear rest and bipod of a standard rifle and don’t like how the mags hang down and can end up on your rear bag.

Been contemplating selling it but I can never bring myself to do it because of how well it shoots.

OP
E

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks wind gypsy for the feedback. It seems that with the lower weight and a relatively lightweight scope it could be an option.

How does rifle handle being out in the field? Do there seem to be any durability concerns/can it handle being run dirty?

No reason for durability or running dirty concerns but I haven't drug it though the crap to validate either. Worst it's seen is a dusty range or some rain.

It could definitely be an option, you could lose more weight by just buying the chassis and getting an aftermarket carbon barrel.

Desert tech fan here since back when they were dta and indexed the barrels on a sacrificial pin.

My covert is an excellent hunting rifle and I doubt I could do better. Offhand and positional shots are great thanks to the balance.

The egos are the only thing that can be an issue for some people, but ultimately I see that as a training issue.

The a1 is tried and true. I'm on board there. My only concern with the a2 is how they drop the weight. The new clamping system is supposed to be better, but I can personally say.

jerkeejoe

FNG
I have an A2 with several conversions. Simply put, it has become my favorite rifle over AIs and several customs. The trigger is crisp and clean, the ergos are great for me, and every barrel I’ve tried (factory and custom) have been remarkably accurate.

I have a bull elk hunt coming in November, so I put a brand new custom 300 WinMag barrel on it yesterday and took it to the range. Before that I had been using my 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. Took me about 20 seconds to sight in because the 300 WinMag barrel point of impact was only about 1/2 mill left and 3/4 mill high from the other barrel at 150 yards. Very well engineered and effective barrel change system IMO.

It’s certainly not a lightweight hunting rifle, but like others have mentioned, because the weight distribution is so comfortable due to the bull pup design, the added weight really doesn’t bother me at all, and the rifle is incredibly comfortable to shoot both from a rest and offhand.

My only complaint is that barrels tend to be a little more expensive because they have to be built with the desert tech adapter. I’ve been itching to get a proof barrel for mine, but haven’t been able to bring myself to pay the $1850 to get one.

All in all, I couldn’t be happier with my A2.