Detailed info on Wyoming pronghorn

I am wanting to do a pronghorn hunt in Wyoming in 23 or 24 and I have absolutely zero experience with out of state hunting. Can someone please give detailed information on what I need to do?

I’m not opposed to paying an outfitter, I probably actually prefer that since I do not have gear for DIY camping and such.

I’m currently 53 years old and in ok shape. I have plenty of rifles chambered in cartridges well suited for pronghorn. Will likely use either my 257 Weatherby or 264 Win Mag improved.

All advice and instructions appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

robie

WKR
Do you have any preference points? If not they start selling them in July. Buy them.

They will help your draw odds.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
Mike -

If you want to go, as a bucket list kind of thing - buy a point this year and plan to do so next year. Start researching outfitters and see what they say about your opportunities for hunting and when.

Either gun will work - know your limits and it'll be fun.

All the 90/10 talk and the herds being down made my group book a trip for next year. We have 3 guys who will have 4, 4, 3 points going into the draw for 2023 and hopefully we'll be able to draw one of the units the outfitter has private access in. They all drew with 1 point last year due to limited public access, we'll see what happens this year.

If we didn't do the outfitter, we are about 3-5 years out on drawing the unit & hunt we wanted (unit & hunt was 2 points in 2020, 4 pts in 2021, and who knows how far it would go for us to draw - 6-8 points? More?). Don't know if 90/10 will come into play by then or not - not wanting to risk it.

Antelope are not hard to hunt. Book an outfitter or trespass hunt only if you want to hunt a unit with mostly private land for an easy draw.

OP
Mike D Texas
Do you have any preference points? If not they start selling them in July. Buy them.

They will help your draw odds.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

No sir I do not. How do I purchase them?

OP
Mike D Texas
Like I said I have ZERO experience. That’s why I was looking for info on the process and and outfitter recommendations.

DoubleDropMuley

Lil-Rokslider
I would go to the G&F website and get you a portal account set up, then anywhere from July 1 to Oct 31 get on and just purchase a point, after you decide if your going in 2023 or 2024 I would be researching outfitters now to make sure you can book and communicate with them to see what unit they would suggest with the points you will have !! 1-2 point units, I’m sure they will be more than willing to get ya going. Looks like some guys above have had good experiences with some outfitters so that would probably be a good place to start.

DoubleDropMuley

Lil-Rokslider
https://beartrak.com/ ,

I’m a resident so don’t look into to much outfitters but I checked out there website and looks to me like it would be a good one to check into, checked draw odds also and looks like the units around that area can all be had in the regular draw 100% with 1 point!!

EdP

WKR
A pronghorn hunt is very reasonable to do DIY from a hotel on public land. However, using an outfitter will most likely get you access to private land. That can mean a better chance of drawing a tag because hunt areas with very little public land are generally easier to draw.

Get on the Wyoming Game and Fish website and start doing your homework. That's where we all started. It takes some time. Actually, it takes a lot of time. Put in the time and ask informed questions and you will be much better off. Buy a preference point. The website will tell you how and when you can do it. Pronghorn hunt opportunities in Wy have changed a lot in the past few years and will probably continue to change in the next few, and it has not got any easier for non-resident hunters. You need to learn the Wy draw system and what is going on and you can do that on their website.

Don't expect folks on here to hold your hand thru the process. We put in the work and expect you to do the same. When you get stuck on something you will find a lot of help here IF you show you are working at it.

7LRM

Lil-Rokslider
preference points is what you needed>
buy point each year , after 3 year or more ,you can draw a good tag.

wapitibob

WKR
You don't need points to draw 23 or 24. You will want to hunt private so an outfitter would be the choice if those are the hunt areas you want to hunt. If you do 23 pvt you can draw the type 2 license for less money than a special will cost, which you would need to ensure you draw a 23 or 24 type 1 public tag. An outfitter will cost you $2500.

Last edited:

cnelk

WKR
^^^ I think he was referring to hunting years 2023 / 2024. Not Areas 23/24

Just a guess

OP
Mike D Texas
If you are not planning on becoming an antelope hunter and just want to go once or twice, go guided.

I can’t say what I may do in the future but for this first hunt it is fulfilling a bucket list hunt for me. I still need to also do mule deer and elk so at best it would be a few years before I considered pronghorn again.