Details Of The Hunt - 2020 Bull!

ElkNut1

WKR
Sept 2nd, generally a slow time, pre-rut times for sure most years. My Son & I ventured out together in an area we've rarely hunted & had not ever taken an elk in but we thought what the heck; let's give this area a shot for grins!

We headed in well before daylight since it was a Full Moon phase & we felt the elk would bed earlier than a non-full moon, we were 1-1/2 mile in 30 minutes after light, we tested the waters with a locate bugle, nothing, tried again a few minutes later from the same spot. I thought I heard a faint high note way off, my Son shrugged it off to the ringing in my ears as he said he didn't hear anything! (grin) Most the time he's right!

We waited a couple more minutes & called again 'just in case' -- I'll be darned if we both didn't hear a faint bugle a 1/2 mile away; my credibility was restored! (grin) There was no doubt from the 1st bugle to this last one this bull was heading up the mountain, he was heading to bed! We hustled down the mountain into the steep draw & back up the other side to where the bull was. As we hustled that way through the downfall & huckleberry bushes; (yep, we had to stop & gorge ourselves before moving on) we heard the bull bugle twice on his own giving us the much needed direction as he continued up!

We moved close to 1/4 mile further trying to guesstimate the area he was heading too, we stopped & cow called twice (regathering mews) no response, we bugled & Bingo, he bugled instantly from under 200 yards, we knew now he was defensive & we had a good chance at him. No more cow calls, he could care less! We moved another 50-75 yards closer to a good tight setup spot where the bull would have to come to my range before seeing the source of the calling! The plan was to Advertise emotion wise to see his reaction, if he bugled back my Son would cut him off & start raking the tree he was standing next to. I was 35-40 yards from my Son we he let loose his bugle; the bull cut him off; I thought oh man this is a dead bull!
;)
He does not appreciate this new intruder bull in his domain!

My Son raked & screamed a challenge for him to back off, I now could see the bull heading straight to my Son from 80 yards out & coming as he weaved his way down the hill through the timber & downfall; The bull & Paul II traded obscenities, I moved to my right 10 yards while still in good cover & had good wind, I needed that bit better position to where I felt he'd come out for the shot. I see him cover the 80 yards to 70,60,50,40,30, I'd drawn at 40 while he was still in cover so I was ready but he stopped at 30 & in cover & screamed a challenge, no shot, he needed to come a few more yards, my Son bugled aggressively there as he could see me at full draw & waiting, the bull moved forward the needed 5 yards, I was fixing to stop him with a nervous grunt when he slowed on his own to step over a downfall log at 25 yards; I punched the release when on him, yes I'm a puncher, no other way for me! The arrow whistled neatly through his lungs, he never flinched & didn't realize his seconds were numbered! He walked off slowly & silently & fell over just out of my sight!

He was a great OTC DIY bull, many thanks to my Son for a great job of timing type calling with just the right emotion for the situation we were confronted with!

ElkNut/Paul

Attachments

• IMG_1966.JPEG
    IMG_1966.JPEG
    452.7 KB · Views: 454

Alpineelk

Lil-Rokslider
Wow awsome hunt would love to read about more of ur call ins if u care to share still trying to learn everything I can from u. Have listened to all of ur podcast

NDGuy

WKR
He was a great OTC DIY bull, many thanks to my Son for a great job of timing type calling with just the right emotion for the situation we were confronted with!

ElkNut/Paul
Great work, pretty sweet story sir!

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for the story....and the pearls of tactics/calling you shared as well. Awesome father and son memory. Congrats!

Sept 2nd, generally a slow time, pre-rut times for sure most years. My Son & I ventured out together in an area we've rarely hunted & had not ever taken an elk in but we thought what the heck; let's give this area a shot for grins!

We headed in well before daylight since it was a Full Moon phase & we felt the elk would bed earlier than a non-full moon, we were 1-1/2 mile in 30 minutes after light, we tested the waters with a locate bugle, nothing, tried again a few minutes later from the same spot. I thought I heard a faint high note way off, my Son shrugged it off to the ringing in my ears as he said he didn't hear anything! (grin) Most the time he's right!

We waited a couple more minutes & called again 'just in case' -- I'll be darned if we both didn't hear a faint bugle a 1/2 mile away; my credibility was restored! (grin) There was no doubt from the 1st bugle to this last one this bull was heading up the mountain, he was heading to bed! We hustled down the mountain into the steep draw & back up the other side to where the bull was. As we hustled that way through the downfall & huckleberry bushes; (yep, we had to stop & gorge ourselves before moving on) we heard the bull bugle twice on his own giving us the much needed direction as he continued up!

We moved close to 1/4 mile further trying to guesstimate the area he was heading too, we stopped & cow called twice (regathering mews) no response, we bugled & Bingo, he bugled instantly from under 200 yards, we knew now he was defensive & we had a good chance at him. No more cow calls, he could care less! We moved another 50-75 yards closer to a good tight setup spot where the bull would have to come to my range before seeing the source of the calling! The plan was to Advertise emotion wise to see his reaction, if he bugled back my Son would cut him off & start raking the tree he was standing next to. I was 35-40 yards from my Son we he let loose his bugle; the bull cut him off; I thought oh man this is a dead bull!
;)
He does not appreciate this new intruder bull in his domain!

My Son raked & screamed a challenge for him to back off, I now could see the bull heading straight to my Son from 80 yards out & coming as he weaved his way down the hill through the timber & downfall; The bull & Paul II traded obscenities, I moved to my right 10 yards while still in good cover & had good wind, I needed that bit better position to where I felt he'd come out for the shot. I see him cover the 80 yards to 70,60,50,40,30, I'd drawn at 40 while he was still in cover so I was ready but he stopped at 30 & in cover & screamed a challenge, no shot, he needed to come a few more yards, my Son bugled aggressively there as he could see me at full draw & waiting, the bull moved forward the needed 5 yards, I was fixing to stop him with a nervous grunt when he slowed on his own to step over a downfall log at 25 yards; I punched the release when on him, yes I'm a puncher, no other way for me! The arrow whistled neatly through his lungs, he never flinched & didn't realize his seconds were numbered! He walked off slowly & silently & fell over just out of my sight!

ElkNut/Paul

What a stud bull. Nice work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
What an inspiration. I still want to be you when I grow up. I struck out during archery this year but had a few encounters and called in a couple with no shot. Settled for a cow with my rifle during the cow hunt.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Moosehunter, no he did not. Could he have, absolutely! My Son put himself on the back burner in an effort to get his Son (Trey) a bull on his first archery elk hunt. We had 3 nice 6 points in front of him at 12 - 30 & 33 yards, Trey just didn't get it done, it's tough though on a youngster, he did his best for sure! Paul II could have taken any of those 3 but didn't carry a bow hoping Trey would connect first! It was a blast calling these OTC bulls in so that's a memory builder of its own! Thanks!

ElkNut

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Ha Ha Steve, you too are an inspiration, you do awesome sir & I certainly enjoy reading your posts, thanks!

ElkNut

87TT

WKR
That grandson of yours is a lucky kid. Paul II takes after his Dad. Hope to see soon.
Steve