Determining boot quality

I have began researching gear for my first Elk hunt in 2023 and one of the main items on the list is boots. I know fit can be quite subjective and I will have to try some on to see, but my question for now revolves more around quality. If I am spending $300-$400 or more for a pair of boots I expect them to last for many years. When looking for boots what do you look for as signs of quality and longevity. Or put another way if you were going to build a boot that will last longer than any other boot you have owned how would you build it.

Is it as simple as looking at the price? Leather vs synthetic vs nubuck? Full rubber rand vs partial vs none? Different footbeds/ sole material? Goretex or not? Maybe none of these things make your most important list, if so what does?

lavashine

FNG
Something that helped me out a bit in my search was Remi Warren's Cutting the Distance podcast episode about Boots. Answers many of the questions you posed. Hope this helps.

Jimss

WKR
A lot depends on your use and what conditions and terrain you spend time. For the most part moisture is your biggest enemy when it comes to long lasting boots. I use and abuse my boots year round so I likely go through a pair of boots a lot quicker than others. I'm also out in snow, rain, crossing creeks, etc on a daily basis which also is hard on boots.

For the most part you will likely find that all leather boots outlast synthetics. Unfortunately all leather is often heavier in weight than synthetics. One reason I like all leather is there are less seams. Sewn seams are usually the place that fall apart the most often when used or when they get wet.

The one boot that I've had great luck with under severe conditions is Crispis. I first bought all leather Crispis but I'm finding that even the synthetic Crispis are taking a lot of abuse and are lasting well. I also like the fact that Crispis offer wide boots.....which is top priority for my particular feet.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It’s as simple as finding one that feels good to you and the. Taking the time to break them in. Price is not an indicator of weather or not they will work for you.

Quality boots are the ones that fit your feet. You can get ahead by starting with the well known brands like Lowa, Crispi, etc... but in the end its about your feet. I would gladly pay hundreds of dollars every few years if thats what it took to get me into the boots my feet like. Nothing will make a hunt miserable like bad boots.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Be prepared to try on many different pairs of boots to find what fits your feet. Everyone on here has probably spent more on boots than they would care to admit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
H
Something that helped me out a bit in my search was Remi Warren's Cutting the Distance podcast episode about Boots. Answers many of the questions you posed. Hope this helps.
Ill check that out for sure, thanks. What podcasts would you recommend for elk/western hunting?

OP
H
A lot depends on your use and what conditions and terrain you spend time. For the most part moisture is your biggest enemy when it comes to long lasting boots. I use and abuse my boots year round so I likely go through a pair of boots a lot quicker than others. I'm also out in snow, rain, crossing creeks, etc on a daily basis which also is hard on boots.

For the most part you will likely find that all leather boots outlast synthetics. Unfortunately all leather is often heavier in weight than synthetics. One reason I like all leather is there are less seams. Sewn seams are usually the place that fall apart the most often when used or when they get wet.

The one boot that I've had great luck with under severe conditions is Crispis. I first bought all leather Crispis but I'm finding that even the synthetic Crispis are taking a lot of abuse and are lasting well. I also like the fact that Crispis offer wide boots.....which is top priority for my particular feet.
From my research I was already leaning towards all leather as I am planning on just one pair of high end boots. Having a boot for every western hunting condition I may encounter would be great but with a goal of getting out west every other year, and my budget that is just not realistic.
Have you had any better luck in regards to waterproofing using certain products or processes to treat and clean and treat your leather boots?

OP
H
Quality boots are the ones that fit your feet. You can get ahead by starting with the well known brands like Lowa, Crispi, etc... but in the end its about your feet. I would gladly pay hundreds of dollars every few years if thats what it took to get me into the boots my feet like. Nothing will make a hunt miserable like bad boots.
I understand fit is the most important, but unfortunately the only way I can try something on is by online ordering. That is why I am asking what you look for in a boot as a sign of quality and longevity. I am trying to avoid buying a boot that fits great but I end up wanting to send it back because it doesn't seem as durable as I was hoping and anticipating from a online description. Midwest problems...

fatlander

WKR
All of the big names in mountain hunting/hiking boots are going to last (crispi, kennetrek, schnee’s, zamberlan, lowa, lathrop and son, etc.). No brand is immune from issues, but the good ones will take care of you.

I’ve found a boot with vibram outsoles that has full grain leather upper and full rubber rand to last the longest. They’re also the heaviest and breathe the worst.

Finding what fits you is the key. Plus, the boot is only half the battle. The insole you chose is just as important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill check that out for sure, thanks. What podcasts would you recommend for elk/western hunting?
I just listened to that one, nice overview of the different things to consider with each boot. It’s Episode 89 to save you some searching.

Also if you don’t have them locally to try, there isn’t much substitute for ordering several brands (even including 1-2 sizes in each to try for fit) from a vendor who does 100% refunds with return shipping. Big initial cost to get them and wait a couple weeks for all the refunds, but it’s a good option if you can swing it.

If you stick to the well known brands and find a pair that works for your feet, then you should be good to go for most situations.

Adhere to the manufacturer’s maintenance recommendations and use their recommended care product(s).

Jimss

WKR
Crispi has some really good youtube videos that compare their boots. You may want to check them out. If you are buying just 1 pair of boots it's likely to find a middle of the road boot. A mid height-mid weight hiker would be my first choice. I don't like tall, stiff boots except sometimes when hunting in deep snow. I don't knee ankle support and it's nice not lugging around heavy, stiff, tall boots. You will also find that it's a lot tougher to stalk game quietly with heavy, stiff boots. You can narrow a lot down by knowing what season (time of year), where, and what style of hunting you plan on doing the most. Do you plan on covering gobs of country, backpack style hunting, truck hunting, super steep and rocky, wet vs dry areas, etc.

Last edited:

River1313

FNG
Thanks for the recommendation! I’m listening right now to help understand all the different aspects of good hunting boots.

OP
H
Great replies so far guys. It is tricky trying to figure all this out without being able to go to a shop and try them on. Adding to the complications is my first 2 hunts could have verry different weather conditions and I would like to only have to purchase one pair of boots. First is Colorado backpack in mid-late September and next is probably a Wyoming general in rifle season. Thanks for all the help.

Zappaman

WKR
I'm into the boot I need a FEW times a year type of guy. If I hunted 120 days a year... the top brands just make sense. But If you want say, have a boot for flat land, or a boot for a few hunts a year on the mountain... there are some boots that can be had for less than Crispis, etc.

I like several boots I own that are good for the job: short (inexpensive) boots for fair weather in Kansas (water proofing and some insulation preferred as we have plenty of wet areas to cross). Taller boots for heavy weather (again some insulation and I use electric socks if I use them in DEEP cold in the stand). If I was "packing" meat off the mountain... it is suggested that those boots usually require a "duty rating" for the job. But I usually use my (old) Danner high tops fine for this job.

If hunting in the marsh... I use the better LaCrosse boots with heavier insulation (sometimes with waders)

Yes... I'll spend (a bit) MORE for two-three pair than one pair of "super boots" but I like not having to take more than I need-- depending on terrain and weather.

I'm sure opinions vary... just the way I like to do it.

Chance_P

FNG
I just listened to that one, nice overview of the different things to consider with each boot. It’s Episode 89 to save you some searching.

Also if you don’t have them locally to try, there isn’t much substitute for ordering several brands (even including 1-2 sizes in each to try for fit) from a vendor who does 100% refunds with return shipping. Big initial cost to get them and wait a couple weeks for all the refunds, but it’s a good option if you can swing it.
This is awesome advice. Any recommendations on a vendor that fits the bill?

This is awesome advice. Any recommendations on a vendor that fits the bill?
Amazon is easiest, assuming you have Prime and it’s a Prime-eligible item. They don’t have everything, but do have a few big ones like Lowa, Kenetrek, La Sportiva, Inov8, Merrell, Salomon, Meindl, Altra, Zamberlan, Asolo, and Oboz.