Diabetes and archery elk hunt

WVELK

FNG
I just found out two weeks ago that I am diabetic. Not surprised, it hangs from every branch on my family tree. I am 53 and have been hunting elk with a bow for 30 years and am in good shape - 6 feet tall and 170 pounds. September 1 in New Mexico will be my first day hunting elk as a type 2 diabetic. I will be hunting every day of September in different states. So for those of you out there in a similar situation, what foods or snacks seem to work best for you on the hunt. Your time and input is greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, @WVELK. It can seem overwhelming, but life can be as normal for a person with T2DM as it was before the diagnosis.

The name of the game with T2DM is blood sugar management. This is usually done through a diet limited in carbohydrates in traditional day-to-day life. This changes to some degree in the mountains. When active, the cells of the body are much more likely to use the carbohydrates to fuel your endeavor rather than letting it linger in your blood, unused. You’ll still want to be sure there are decent carb sources in your pack.

I do not have diabetes, but am a dietitian and work with diabetics regularly in my role- athletes and non. I’d recommend you seeing if there is a local dietitian to help walk you through this and get a detailed plan mapped out for you. You’re also more than welcome to shoot me a message if you have any questions.

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
Thanks for the reply. I made the mistake of thinking I had beaten the odds and would not get it. In hind sight I ate worse than a 13 year old, but always felt good and never gained weight so this may be a good wake up call. Everyone has to have some problem and I will take this over a heck of a lot of others. It has only been 2.5 weeks and with diet and exercise I am staying in the 100 to 125 range about 97 percent of the time. But, you hit the nail on the head. My biggest concern is burning the carbs on the move and not knowing how much fuel to put in the tank.

sorry to here!. 2 years ago out of the blue i had lost 40lbs. weight for no reason quickly over 4 months and found i had type 2 from my a1c test. i was one of the lucky ones to beat it back for now though and no meds. i saw a diet and nutrition Dr. that specialized in diabetes. i completely changed my diet and went for a 13 A1c to 6.5 in 6 months. as far as snack ideas i watched all the Keto vids on YouTube. i stuck to meat,cheeses, eggs.pork rinds,pickles. my diet person says you need balance with some sugar and carbs and gave me a points system to follow/ so i did eat apple wedges fruits/nuts in very small quantities to replace candy bars.i was never big on veggies but carrot sticks and celery sticks are easy to carry and such. the good news is that most convenience stores have a wide selection these days if your out on the road. also be careful of what type of sugar substitutes you use. some candies and cookies will send you to the number 2 room quickly. stay positive and listen to your Drs. i testing sugar several times a day everyday and was strange at first but i got use to it. im down to once a day now. i was warned for years but looking back i wish i took it more serious and i think testing and knowing your numbers will have helped me to keep things in line. i only wish i could have been testing years ago being pre- diabetic. Not sure why Drs. dont suggest you should start testing even as a pre- diabetic. for me when you see the numbers it makes it real and so you know how to adjust diet. be well!

Thanks for the reply. I made the mistake of thinking I had beaten the odds and would not get it. In hind sight I ate worse than a 13 year old, but always felt good and never gained weight so this may be a good wake up call. Everyone has to have some problem and I will take this over a heck of a lot of others. It has only been 2.5 weeks and with diet and exercise I am staying in the 100 to 125 range about 97 percent of the time. But, you hit the nail on the head. My biggest concern is burning the carbs on the move and not knowing how much fuel to put in the tank.

There are algorithms and rules of thumb to help figure that out when you work with someone. I’d strongly encourage you to work with someone who has experience working with T2DM and athletes, backpackers, etc. so they understand how cellular uptake of carbs work when active.

Are you taking insulting? Oral anti-glycemic like Metformin? Your blood sugars sound like they’re doing great!

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
There are algorithms and rules of thumb to help figure that out when you work with someone. I’d strongly encourage you to work with someone who has experience working with T2DM and athletes, backpackers, etc. so they understand how cellular uptake of carbs work when active.

Are you taking insulting? Oral anti-glycemic like Metformin? Your blood sugars sound like they’re doing great!

I am taking Metformin 500mg morning and 500 in evening. It is at a high of 120 in the morning and runs just above 100 through the day. So yes, I feel like I am doing pretty darn well after only finding out 3 weeks ago tomorrow when it was 422 and a A1C of 10.5.

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
sorry to here!. 2 years ago out of the blue i had lost 40lbs. weight for no reason quickly over 4 months and found i had type 2 from my a1c test. i was one of the lucky ones to beat it back for now though and no meds. i saw a diet and nutrition Dr. that specialized in diabetes. i completely changed my diet and went for a 13 A1c to 6.5 in 6 months. as far as snack ideas i watched all the Keto vids on YouTube. i stuck to meat,cheeses, eggs.pork rinds,pickles. my diet person says you need balance with some sugar and carbs and gave me a points system to follow/ so i did eat apple wedges fruits/nuts in very small quantities to replace candy bars.i was never big on veggies but carrot sticks and celery sticks are easy to carry and such. the good news is that most convenience stores have a wide selection these days if your out on the road. also be careful of what type of sugar substitutes you use. some candies and cookies will send you to the number 2 room quickly. stay positive and listen to your Drs. i testing sugar several times a day everyday and was strange at first but i got use to it. im down to once a day now. i was warned for years but looking back i wish i took it more serious and i think testing and knowing your numbers will have helped me to keep things in line. i only wish i could have been testing years ago being pre- diabetic. Not sure why Drs. dont suggest you should start testing even as a pre- diabetic. for me when you see the numbers it makes it real and so you know how to adjust diet. be well!

Thanks for the info. I too have went to lean meat: elk, venison, lots and lots of fish mainly salmon, pheasants (have 4 darn good bird dogs and probably have 300 in the freezer mainly from preserves), and turkey. I love peppers and salads so that is a staple as well as cheese and dill pickles. The diet really doesn‘t bother me. My wife and most friends say I am a person of extremes - either all in or all out. I am all in on this one at this point so I will get it figured out. Thanks for words of encouragement!

sounds like your on the right track. when i found out what i could eat i was like jackpot i can do this. mornings i was always on the high side of numbers but my diet Dr. person said it was normal for some/ i still eat some crap like fast food cheeseburgers and stuff. just no fries... ive become a pro at pulling off the buns / ive a got a freezer full of buns going to the bears lol...

It is a bitch. My doctor just put me on Trulicity because the Metformin was not working, even though I know that I am the one to blame.

That’s a great turnaround, @WVELK. Good for you!

It’s not uncommon at all for folks to have higher blood sugars when they wake up. The body takes stored carbohydrate and breaks them down for fuel while you’re sleeping.

Waggy

FNG
@WVELK I am in a bit of a different situation than you in terms of diabetes (T1, 24 yo). but the care/management ideas remain the same. I was diagnosed in college at 20 years old and in the middle of Montana hunting season. It was a rough transition at first (lots of high sugars and a few too many lows). Thankfully I have some great friends that recognized I needed help. Training is also a bit of an adventure day to day as well...

For me, the few keys to maintaining yourself in the back country are pretty simple. A) Always have something to bring your sugars up. B) make sure your hunting partners understand the signs/dangers that can show with diabetes. C) learn to listen to your body... I get the shakes when my sugars go below 70... Have snacks ready and prepare your body as best you can. I would rather have extra food and not need it, compared to running out and going low.

Last season, I was able to hike 25 miles solo in 3 days and shot a 195" muley without too much concern for my sugars. Its an adjustment, but being alive and healthy is well worth the management it takes.

Hope this helps you on your journey and feel free to reach out if you have any questions!

OP
W

WVELK

FNG
Thanks for the message! I am feeling a lot better in many ways now about 8 weeks after diagnosis. I run 4-5 miles day one then 2-3 miles day two and the, take day three off and repeat. The first 4 weeks after cutting out sugar, cafine and salt sucked! I was pretty worried because I did not have any energy.

Right now my levels run 85 to 100 through the day and 120-125 when I get up in the morning. So far I have not had really any lows or ”highs”. It went to 160 one day when I ate a brick slice of my daughter birthday cake, but other than that all is good.

Thanks again for the note! HOPE YOU HAVE THE BEST SEASON OF YOUR LIFE THIS FALL!