Diagnose this.

robtattoo

WKR
I was hoping to do 180 partions or accubombs. First I need to figure out how to knock 2 lbs off the weight. I am kinda anal about accuracy and precision on rifles. Can't hit s... with a shotgun tho. To hard to be the bullets.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
*technical-ish reply.....
Honestly, 1:11 is on the edge for 180 PTs. If they're really your dream bullet, a 1:10 would be more appropriate. You might do better with ABs. The bearing surface on PTs is pretty long, being a flat based bullet & a 1:11 is far better suited to 165s, . The 180 ABs, being a boat tail, having a shorter, engaging shank, act a lot like 165 PTs. Personally, in my Tikka '06, I found an accurate load with 165 Partitions & quit looking. Ain't an elk in America that could stand one of those in the right spot......

OP
B

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
*technical-ish reply.....
Honestly, 1:11 is on the edge for 180 PTs. If they're really your dream bullet, a 1:10 would be more appropriate. You might do better with ABs. The bearing surface on PTs is pretty long, being a flat based bullet & a 1:11 is far better suited to 165s, . The 180 ABs, being a boat tail, having a shorter, engaging shank, act a lot like 165 PTs. Personally, in my Tikka '06, I found an accurate load with 165 Partitions & quit looking. Ain't an elk in America that could stand one of those in the right spot......
That is helpful. This was supposed to be a backup beater rifle but "almost" shoots to good to be on the bench. Sits between a 280 with 160s and 300 winnie with 200s ( both shoot 5 into 1 moa to 300 easy. Not factory barrels).

OP
B

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
My experience tells me that vertical impact problems are most often mechanical. My choices for further testing are as follows and echo most opinions above.

1. Bedding and torque of action screws.
2. Clean it and clean it again
3. Better ammo

1. Not action screws but could be bedding.
2. To get it any cleaner and I would to run some JB down it. 3. That might do it. Even working up loads I have not seen anything shoot like this.

Antares

WKR
gold ring on the scope causing it is my guess.

I truly do not understand the amount flak Leupold gets on this site. OP didn't even say it was a Leupold and that's your answer?!

Rah rah rah! USA! USA! Made in USA this and that...oh, except f*** Leupold. I don't get it.

Rich M

WKR
I have days like that. Some days shoot better than others. Go shoot a few more groups and see what is repeatable..