Diagnose this.

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
So... Have just started working on this Sako. Factory corelocs usually shoot middling in most guns 180 grain 06 in this case. This is an 8 shot group with barrel kept cool. Any ideas on the two high shots (1,5) the low one is on me for sure. In a 5 to 10 shot group I'll always one or two outliers and always high. Not a fluke as it happened the 3 times I've tried it..

Scope tracks, screws tight.Not the best bench stock but wondering if

Ammo, recoil mgmnt or other technique, that's just the way this barrel shoots this ammo, bifocal problems? I reload but have not yet for this cartridge. Looking for some ideas on where to start or accept defeat.
e5eb1720908251c36df6b951e6a9674d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
B

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Night force NXSs don't have a gold ring. This one is not new but seems to function fine.

Sako has, I believe, a 1/11 twist as opposed to most 30-06 which have 1/10. I wouldn't think a 1/11 would struggle stabilizing a lead 180 - but you might try some 165's.

Last edited:
OP
B

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
No skim bedding yet. One of the B&C stocks with aluminum block.

Checked action screw torque but low inch pound rec for plastic trigger guard.

Would think if torque it would be more consitently erratic and not always the same way but maybe not. Wondering if it is ammo or I'm doing something weird technique wise on a few shots.

Might be expecting to much out of inexpensive ammo.

OP
B

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Could it be that I am on the very edge of a node for velocity?

Haven't chonoed any.

OP
B

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Aim point is the red square by the way.

bsnedeker

WKR
Am I missing something here...you are getting what looks like about 1.5-2.0 MOA out of core loks? That seems pretty acceptable to me.

OP
B

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
1.5 to 1.75 (this)

Question is the few fliers are always the same way. Seems odd.

Are you using a tripod? Shooting rest? Sandbags?

I saw a video where a guy had high fliers, and it turned out he was accidentally resting the gun on its barrel by accident...

OP
B

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Are you using a tripod? Shooting rest? Sandbags?

I saw a video where a guy had high fliers, and it turned out he was accidentally resting the gun on its barrel by accident...
Sandbags. Same spot on the forend as much as possible. Although it's a relatively heavy rifle, it does not seem to like free recoil.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I think sometimes the surface contact is uneven, even with bedding blocks. If the uneven contact causes a fulcrum point at the forward screw it seems to me, it often times results in a pattern of shots similar to this. Some of the shots land in separate groups.
Bedding it carefully with very little tension on the screws might help considerably.
Try some 165gr Sierra hpbt. If they don't shoot, start eliminating possibilities.

J300UM

FNG
Like mentioned above, I’d clean it really good with Boretech Eliminator or something similar then try a different ammo.

OP
B

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
*untechnical answer.....

Throw some 165gn partitions through it & go kill shit.
I was hoping to do 180 partions or accubombs. First I need to figure out how to knock 2 lbs off the weight. I am kinda anal about accuracy and precision on rifles. Can't hit s... with a shotgun tho. To hard to be the bullets.

VernAK

WKR
My experience tells me that vertical impact problems are most often mechanical. My choices for further testing are as follows and echo most opinions above.

1. Bedding and torque of action screws.
2. Clean it and clean it again
3. Better ammo