Diamox for altitude

Bligneel

FNG
Hey guys heading to Colorado in September for archery elk. Flatlander from Minnesota and Never been to much elevation over 4000. Area we have picked out has us from 9500 to 11500. Was just wondering what your guys take is on how to combat any altitude sickness. I know stay hydrated, keep eating, don't over exert ourselves. Is diamox worth it? I've seen alot of people mention it but I'm not sure I'm sold on it. Any input is appreciated

Jasper

FNG
I tried Diamox a couple times back in my mountaineering days and never found that I got much benefit from it. And, the side effects --itchy, tingly fingers for me--were incredibly annoying. I currently live at sea level but hunt at 9-11K each year.

My current MO is to try to show up a couple days early, avoid more than one beer a night, and hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. I'm lucky in that I grew up at 6500' and even after living at sea level for 20 years seem to acclimatize quickly, so arriving at altitude even a day or two before hunting really helps me acclimatize.

You've probably heard of this, but the other trick we used in my climbing days was 'climb high, sleep low', so if there's a way to camp as low as possible--within reason, of course--and then ascend a couple thousand feet to where you'll be hunting, that might help a bit, too.

Good luck.

Great advice above. Take a day at the trailhead to acclimate. Sleep at lower elevation because at night is when your body is affected most.

Diamoxx is the only real medication option that has a proven benefit to prevent altitude sickness. Steroids are another option but I don’t think work as well and cause worse side effects. It is a diuretic and you will pee a LOT on the way out. But that is how it’s supposed to work. If you are prone to altitude sickness it’s worthwhile IMO. I just feel better overall when it’s in my system at high altitude. I get mild altitude sickness starting at about 10,500ft and sometimes lower.

Altitude sickness is essentially an acid-base imbalance in your blood. Diamoxx shifts the balance to help prevent your blood from becoming too basic at high altitude. But it has to be taken before the trip starts to be effective.

KsRancher

WKR
I took it my 3rd yr elk hunting after getting REALLY sick my 2nd yr. I didn't get sick, but didn't like the side effects. Anything I drank other than water tasted horrible. And it messed with my eyes. Haven't taken it since and haven't been sick. So I don't know if it helped or not.

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
If you are one of the roughly 16% of folks that get serious altitude sickness then it is a lifesaver. Urinating, tingly fingers and shitty tasting drinks are minor side effects versus the alternative of puking your guts out, brain swelling and leaving your hunt. Diamox will not make a flatlander suffer less of the normal effects like being out of breath or out of shape.

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
Like others have said, Go as early as possible and take it easy the first couple of days. I live at low elevation but make two or three trips to the colorado mountains every year. I have never had true altitude sickness but have pushed way to hard upon arrival and was worn out prematurely. If you’re backpacking try to sleep below 10,500’; for me at least that’s the cutoff where I can tell I’m not getting as rested. If you’re truck camping lay off the alcohol the first few days…it’s like kryptonite at elevation for us flatlanders. I’d skip the Diamox unless you have strong reason to think you need it

MattB

WKR
Used it before in NV (going from 100 ft to 10,000), the only side effects were slightly tingly fingers and carbonated drinks tasted like ass.

Mosby

WKR
I got altitude sickness one summer on a scouting trip. It really sucked. I go a couple days early now and take Diamox prior to going to altitude. I normally feel pretty normal after the first couple of days. I also take Advil daily before and during my trip. I read about a study where a smaller % of people that take IB get AS. It helps with my knees and ankles on hard trips so I would take it regardless.

I drink a lot of water a couple days before I leave to ensure I am hydrated but I also drink Body Armor when I am hunting at altitude. I don't know why but I feel better when I drink it compared to when I don't, so I make sure I always have some in the truck.

Marble

WKR
I think the reason why no one in our camp has gotten it in over 20 years is because we take around 3 days to clematis at 8k. Our jaunts/camps up to 10/11k have never caused an issue.

I can say sleeping at 10k for the first few nights is a little different. Gets better each day.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

hunt1up

WKR
I've taken Diomox for the past 5 years or so before high altitude trips. If I don't take it I get by, but I generally sleep like total garbage the first 3 nights or so. I'll roll around a bunch and my heart will race, it's very unnerving. If I take Diomox starting 2-3 days before the trip it completely fixes the poor sleep. I'll still get winded the first day or so but I quickly get used to it and by day 2-3 I'm totally fine. I'll generally continue to take the pills for the first 2-3 days of the trip and then stop.

I guess I'm lucky in that I've never really had any of the possible side effects. Hands don't tingle and the beer back at camp still tastes just fine.

I vote yes on it. I and a fomer GF hiked in Peru up over the Andes. Cusco to Machu Picchu. I got diamox for the trip and she did not.

She was knocked out with nausea and massive headaches. Fortunately you can get altitude meds at any pharmacy without Dr. script.

Keep in mind it does nothing for the shortness of breath you will incur. Its all about your ability to absorb oxygen and not your fitness level

FlyGuy

WKR
Definitely get the diamox. If you don’t like the side effects you can stop taking it; but they are FAR less to deal with than the effects of altitude can be. For me it’s just the carbonated drinks are a hard No.

“What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit.“

Chief Seattle

Gseith

Lil-Rokslider
I took it my second and third year after I got really sick my first year. Went from 1200ft to 12k in 24hrs.
6 years later I don’t take it anymore. I don’t seem to get sick anymore. I was absolutely miserable on the diamox. It gave me terrible heartburn for some reason and I had to piss all through the night.

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
Excellent, you're thinking ahead and asking a great question...for your primary care physician to discuss and answer with you. Lots of great and helpful guys here on Rokslide, but...

My wife and I went to Peru a few years ago. We live at sea level, and we were going to stay at a town over 10k for a few days...and then going well over 12k from there and back again each day. My primary care physician was VERY helpful as we discussed options and pros/cons. He prescribed a medication that I took prophylactically (preventatively) prior to arrival. It all worked-out great for me (us...my wife did the same thing with her doc)...no altitude sickness whatsoever, which was the primary goal...didn't want to have to deal with that in a foreign country. The only thing I noticed was appetite suppression and no interest in drinking a beer, which is atypical for me!

I will second this is a discussion to have with your primary care doc and not some folks on a hunting forum. While people here mean well and have great experiences, they do not know you and your personal risk factors or medical
Issues that diamox may or may not affect.

I can say I rx’d it for my son this year when he went on a ski trip. He has normally had really mild but annoying AS symptoms the first day or so on ski trips and he started diamox three days before and took it thru the trip and didn’t have any problems. I have not had that same experience so i have never taken it.

But, as mentioned, the effects from altitude can be minor (headache, nausea) all the way to deadly (pulmonary edema, cerebral edema) and the only medicine that really helps prevent it diamox. Prednisone is used to treat the efects of pulmonary edema or cerebral edema, but has no benefit taken preventatively.

So set up an appt and talk it over with your personal doc. It is good to he proactive and kudos to you for thinking of this.

def90

WKR
Drink water, stay away from caffeine, sugary drinks and alcohol.. start doing that now in order to prepare for the trip. Start hydrating as soon as you wake up and continue to drink even if you don’t feel like you need it, once you become dehydrated it is difficult to get caught back up again.

Start hiking stairs with your pack on. Maintain a pace where you can breath easily and carry on a conversation, slow is fast. if you start sweating profusely and are huffing and puffing you are going too fast, slow down, one foot in front of the other.

Get there a couple days early and maybe do an easy hike the second day. Lay off the junk food.

In general if you are in good shape physically (be honest with yourself) you shouldn’t have a problem.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it. If you're that out of shape that 24-48 hours of acclimating at 9,000 doesn't help, Diamox sure as hell isn't going to do anything for you and could potentially get you into real trouble. If you're in relatively descent shape for your age, just acclimate at 8,000 or so and then balls to the wall. Good luck!

Drink water, stay away from caffeine, sugary drinks and alcohol.. start doing that now in order to prepare for the trip. Start hydrating as soon as you wake up and continue to drink even if you don’t feel like you need it, once you become dehydrated it is difficult to get caught back up again.

Start hiking stairs with your pack on. Maintain a pace where you can breath easily and carry on a conversation, slow is fast. if you start sweating profusely and are huffing and puffing you are going too fast, slow down, one foot in front of the other.

Get there a couple days early and maybe do an easy hike the second day. Lay off the junk food.

In general if you are in good shape physically (be honest with yourself) you shouldn’t have a problem.
Agree with everything except the last statement, nothing could be further from the truth. AS has nothing to do with fitness or being in shape. It is simply an acid/base imbalance from the decreased oxygen concentration in the air at altitude. Many people in superb shape get AS.

Please do not think AS has anything to do with being out of shape or anything to do with fitness level.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with it. If you're that out of shape that 24-48 hours of acclimating at 9,000 doesn't help, Diamox sure as hell isn't going to do anything for you and could potentially get you into real trouble. If you're in relatively descent shape for your age, just acclimate at 8,000 or so and then balls to the wall. Good luck!
And this is why you shouldn’t take medical
Advice from an online forum. Your advice could get someone in trouble a lot more than diamox could.