Diaphragm call storage/maintenance

wadegarrett

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,

Turkey season is wrapped up for the spring over here. I noticed my favorite mouth call (read: has most mileage) is starting to lose the glue at along the seam. What does everyone do in terms of maintenance/storage at the end of a season? Do you just scrap the calls and get a new batch next season? They're not super high end by any means but it seems kind of wasteful...

Thanks,

WG

Old chew can (I use one from that beefy jerky chew), cut a sponge that sits in the bottom and is about 1/2 the height of the can, dump a little alcohol-free mouthwash in there (I've been told the stuff with alcohol in it can ruin the latex). Thats typically what I keep them in during the season anyways, which helps to keep them moist as well as keep gunk from growing on them. After the season, I toss the can in the fridge and just leave it there until next season.

I used to get like a year or maybe two if I was lucky out of my calls, and since switching to this method 4 or so years ago, I havent replaced any of them.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I wouldn't put my call in any kind of moisture if I wanted them to last. I put mine in a Primos call case so they can breathe. The case and my calls stay there year round. I've never had a moment's trouble out of them when doing this. I can use the same call for several years. If you use a call much at all, you'll need to replace it way before it starts to fall apart from keeping them in a dry, breathable case.

Store mine in a dry/humid area that at times is cool/warm. jk jk :)

Mine are always stored at room temp in a breathable case. I'm in SC so "drying out" ain't gonna happen. I practice my calls almost year round. So there's no real need for long-term storage. Haven't found a reed that doesn't wear out after 2 years at most.

howl

WKR
Rinse with water after use. Store in container they came in on the butter shelf of the refrigerator. I buy several years worth at a time. Storing this way keeps new calls new.

If the wife complains about butter, tell her that butter is salted because it is supposed to sit out on the table.

Calls do wear out. I typically get two seasons out of one. They'll work for making sounds longer, but they won't sound as good as new. They're all overpriced considering how short the life span and how often you get a dud.

pullit

FNG
I wash mine off in the sink, and slide a tooth pick (the flat kind) between the reads to keep them from sticking together. I then put them in a zip lock bag and put them in a refrigerator I have in the garage.

The tooth pick method in between the reeds seems to work best for me put them in a ziplock bag and tape them on the wall inside of my fridge so they are out of the way until next year.