Diaphragm call suggestions for turkey hunting?

Tyson

FNG
I'm a novice turkey caller at best and I want to start practicing my calling for next year. I haven't used a diaphragm call but I want to be hands free for next year, any suggestions on what brand to start with or any type I should be staying away from? Thanks

Jimss

WKR
I've shot a gob of turkeys using Woodhavens. It took a while for me to get used to diaphragms but now I love them. All my pot calls sit in my truck. Like you said it's nice having hands free. I have a narrow mouth so trim all my calls. There are some great youtube videos that ought to get you started.

Have tried the majority of the popular brands...been stuck on the Hooks the past 8 or so springs. Particularly the executioner 2, love it!

Dukejb

FNG
The Woodhaven toxic orange is my favorite of the ones I’ve tried thus far.

I use Zink’s some and my go-to calls are woodhavens. I have found that “ghost cut” calls tend to be easier to learn on than some of the deep-v cut raspy calls. Will be trying some hooks after reading this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
No matter what brand you choose, try to find a double reed call with no cuts or simple cuts in the reed if you can. A straight double reed would be the easiest call to run, a ghost cut is pretty easy as well and probably easier to find from multiple brands. The triple reed call with a lot of larger cuts or patterns in the reed will usually be a little harder to run initially.

Check Walmart or Amazon right now. Our Walmart still had some cheaper diaphragms on sale last week and I've picked up some calls off Amazon this time of year fairly cheap ($5 a piece or less). If you can find them cheap go ahead and get a couple different cut patterns so you can compare the differences. Examples would be w cut, bat wing, cutter, ghost cut, etc. I would practice with different cuts now on cheap calls to figure out what you like, then move on to custom calls in the same pattern come turkey season.

OP
Tyson

Tyson

FNG
Thanks for the advice, going to go with a Hooks two reed call and start practicing

isu22andy

WKR
They are all pretty much the same in reality . Not one cut of the reed hasnt been done by another. Seems like Woodhavens last the longest to me but Im pretty rough on them. Still end up buying new ones every year .

fatlander

WKR
Hooks, gooser bat, and tom teasers are all great production calls.

Daddy Rat on old gobbler makes the best diaphragms I’ve ever run for a better price than anything else you’ll find.

The advice above about starting with a straight double reed (something like the Quaker boy twin II) would be best. Once you get that down experiment with other cuts and find what you run best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MadDawg

Lil-Rokslider
beaver creek game calls makes some sweet mouth calls! They have a purple one that is the best sounding call I have ever heard

87TT

WKR
I have killed a turkey the last two years with an old Kristy Titus wild fury elk call.

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
Hunter specialities E-Z rasp. I've been chasing long beards for 26 yrs. This is my go to. It's fairly cheap. I bought a Zink with the same cut cost twice as much. Couldn't tell the difference. In most cases whatever cut you use and become proficient at will Kill a bird. My only advice is practice, practice, practice and practice some more. It's all muscle memory.

Holocene

WKR
Everyone is different and what works for John might not work for Roy and Larry and so on.

Still, some call makers will use higher quality materials than others, and you get what you pay for in my experience.

Wood Haven and Hook's make very solid calls. Their craftsmanship is on par with anything. I am sure that the small custom boys make quality product, too!

For a beginner, I strongly encourage watching Shane Simpson's video Mouth Call Mechanics and buying a Mouth Call Mechanics Kit for $21.99. Just do it. Really. The kit comes with an uncut call + right, left and center cuts so that you can find what works best for your mouth shape. Best money and time you can spend to start mouth calls with correct form. I am a former professional brass musician so am coming at this from a perspective that values technique, tone, musicality and emotion in making noises with your mouth -- all qualities that will make a turkey hunter shine in the woods.

PS to Everyone:

Better quality materials will create richer sounds and a more durable call. I blow calls EXTREMELY hard and cutt aggressively so enjoy a reed that is thick and durable enough to stand up to this style without ripping or getting so "loose" that the sounds don't work right anymore. If you call softly with plain yelps you can probably get by with anything -- even the cheapies from Wal Mart. But that's like playing "Hot Cross Buns" for the rest of your life. Push the needle with your turkey calling. Get good calls. Play the toms some Mozart and Bach and Strauss.